Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Restroyer View Post
    Not sure I agree with you but as I said I don't pretend to be an expert on the rut. I will say it's been a long time since I seen a late rut down here in SE Indiana. Last year down here our rut started October 28th and most of the time it's starting here right around Halloween to Election Day. It's been a long time since I've seen a rut starting during firearms season.
    I think you might be misreading his post, or I'm misreading yours. He is not saying the start is november 15th (gun season is november 16th) he is saying the largest % of does are hot November 15th. Gun season on the 16th would be the start of the downward slope.

While I agree with his theory, IMO the peak of the bell curve is typically a little before the 15th. IMO its November 8th/9th, but we are splitting hairs. Temperatures have no effect on the rut. They do have effect on how much of the rut we see vs how much happens in the middle of the night.

Something to keep in mind when dealing with the rut. Just because you see a 1.5 year old running does all over, doesnt mean she is quite ready. I've seen little guys chasing October 1st. They dont quite know what that thing is for, they just know they want to use it.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have trail cam pictures of newborn fawns in the middle of August and last Saturday saw 2 fawn nursing.

User Info Menu

I saw two red fox in muzzleloader season way back
    Did a double take....they were fawns.

Dunno if late or some genetic deal ( stunted ? ).
    Orange little dudes they were.

User Info Menu

Fork horn wandered through the yard this morning. Little three yr old 8 pointer in the back yard 2 days ago. Tues saw a BIG 8 cross the drive about 200 yds out. Movement has definitely started.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Spent all day in the stand. Damn cold this am. Truck said 19 when I got out. All day sit. Passed up a 120" 8 pointer at 5pm. Stopped at 9 yards. Ate about 5 acorns and walked on. Was a long day sitting. The leaves are falling like rain

Marksman

User Info Menu

The swirling wind screwed me out of a nice 10 this morning. Tonight had 4 bucks running around grunting and acting ignorant. Never has a shot at any of them.

Good luck tomorrow to those that venture out!

User Info Menu

I've been passing on several deer. That changed yesterday. I had a big bodied mature buck come out of a thicket 10 yards and without hesitation...whack. Walked about 15 yds and down. Not much in the antler department. So much for patience. This is my normal instinct as I generally hunt for meat and don't pay much attention to antler size. Noticed some does close by so I knocked another arrow. They moved off but then the buck I'd been wanting came out into the field and came right under me and stopped, so I shot it...with my camera lol. I was telling a buddy about it and he said I should've shot it and that he would've bought a tag for it. Shooting the second buck never crossed my mind. In fact as soon as I saw him I hung my bow(and my head). I was burning some brush and drinking a few beers later in the evening and got to thinking...I could've got away with it. Nah, although I'm sure there are people out there that would've shot it. Picture of the deer I shot and the deer I wanted to shoot below. I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't dwell on things like this. I just laugh it off. There's always next year.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trailrider View Post
    I've been passing on several deer. That changed yesterday. I had a big bodied mature buck come out of a thicket 10 yards and without hesitation...whack. Walked about 15 yds and down. Not much in the antler department. So much for patience. This is my normal instinct as I generally hunt for meat and don't pay much attention to antler size. Noticed some does close by so I knocked another arrow. They moved off but then the buck I'd been wanting came out into the field and came right under me and stopped, so I shot it...with my camera lol. I was telling a buddy about it and he said I should've shot it and that he would've bought a tag for it. Shooting the second buck never crossed my mind. In fact as soon as I saw him I hung my bow(and my head). I was burning some brush and drinking a few beers later in the evening and got to thinking...I could've got away with it. Nah, although I'm sure there are people out there that would've shot it. Picture of the deer I shot and the deer I wanted to shoot below. I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't dwell on things like this. I just laugh it off. There's always next year.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Your buddy needs a lesson in law abiding. Friends like that will eventually get you in trouble. Even your bigger buck only looks to be about 3 yrs old. I'd have let both of them go unless I was really hungry..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Your buddy needs a lesson in law abiding. Friends like that will eventually get you in trouble. Even your bigger buck only looks to be about 3 yrs old. I'd have let both of them go unless I was really hungry..
    I agree with you about him needing a lesson in abiding by the law. I'm smart enough not to let people like that get me into trouble. I posted his comment to pose the ethical point. I would always make the same decision. I take wildlife laws seriously. You may be right about the age of the bigger buck. I had only seen him at a distance until yesterday. As far as the one I took, I don't get too excited about antler size. Right or wrong I generally look for a flat head and a "pot belly" to determine if a buck is mature enough for me. He fit the bill.
    "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trailrider View Post
    I agree with you about him needing a lesson in abiding by the law. I'm smart enough not to let people like that get me into trouble. I posted his comment to pose the ethical point. I would always make the same decision. I take wildlife laws seriously. You may be right about the age of the bigger buck. I had only seen him at a distance until yesterday. As far as the one I took, I don't get too excited about antler size. Right or wrong I generally look for a flat head and a "pot belly" to determine if a buck is mature enough for me. He fit the bill.
    10/4. Meat in the freezer at any rate.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast