Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

A couple of Duke No.220 Body Traps will take care of the problem.

"Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

User Info Menu

My grandparents had a large stocked pond. It was ringed by tall, mature trees. Then beavers moved in.

Grandpa's eyesight wasn't great by then and he didn't notice their presence until the first two huge cottonwood trees were laying in the pond one morning. Grandpa fought those critters like they were Germans and he was still in the Ardennes Forest until the day he died. Seemed like every one he killed, two more would show up.

Now my cousin's kid lives there and he has surrendered the fight. Nothing around the pond anymore except stumps and brush.
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Plinker

User Info Menu

A well placed electric fence around the lake might deter the otters and save the fish but keep other desirable wildlife away.

Is there anyone in the area that specializes in removing nuisance wildlife? They might be able to help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by n9tkf View Post
    ...Is there anyone in the area that specializes in removing nuisance wildlife? They might be able to help.
    Someone HAS to have started a critter control company called, Triple S.
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

User Info Menu

As I understand it otters are native to Indiana? This thread is not the first I have heard of otters being a nuisance. My question is...where otters a problem back when in the day before they became extinct here? I have talked to many old, old timers and none of them can recall otters being a problem? Wonder what has changed that makes it so now?
    " YOU SERIOUS CLARK ? "

User Info Menu

I would imagine that back in the day when otters were here fishing ponds weren't as common as they are now. Excavation of something like a small pond today would have been a big expensive job 100 years ago.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbhausen View Post
    When I was a kid we dispatched many muskrats and snapping turtles in our farm pond with a Ruger 10/22. Stories like this remind me why we were quick to eliminate them.
    I shoot them when they're in my pond from my deck with my CZ. Mostly just the muskrats because I like watching the turtles for some reason (my neighbor shoots the turtles, though, so there's that). It makes for a nice afternoon when I'm not fishing.

I had beavers swimming in and out of the overflow earlier this year. I didn't know if they were legal to shoot, so I went to the hardware store and bout two wire hanging baskets that fit perfectly over the 15" drain tiles that are my over flow. Haven't seen them since.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

Expert

User Info Menu

Traps, fence and all would not work with all the invited guests. I don't get mad if the Heron's eat their fill. But now I doubt there is a fish in it.

Interesting thing is the otters walk through the woods in a straight line nose to tail. Didn't get them on film going in, just waddling out.

The maternal base of all my bluegill was a female my son had caught that looked like a half inflated football. Her offspring have fed Herons and such for better than a decade. Now there is no way to know if any survive.

Violated is the only word that describes the feeling...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo59 View Post
    Traps, fence and all would not work with all the invited guests. I don't get mad if the Heron's eat their fill. But now I doubt there is a fish in it.

Interesting thing is the otters walk through the woods in a straight line nose to tail. Didn't get them on film going in, just waddling out.

The maternal base of all my bluegill was a female my son had caught that looked like a half inflated football. Her offspring have fed Herons and such for better than a decade. Now there is no way to know if any survive.

Violated is the only word that describes the feeling...
    I full well understand how nature works. But remember we are the top of the food chain on land when we are armed and aware.

SSS.

There is a very nice and well stocked pond on my buddy's family land. It was invaded by turtles with much the same results as what you are experiencing.
    As mentioned up-thread we posted up about 100 yards of the pond on higher ground. Spent a few nice afternoons popping turtle with .22's.
    Distance and caliber made it somewhat sporting
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Expert

User Info Menu

I doubt the otters were able to eat all the little minnows in your pond, so given time, the fish will be back. You can hasten the process by feeding them fish food pellets. They come in 50 pound bags from the local feed store. Of course, long term, you're going to have to deal with the otters. My dad has a 12 acre bass and bluegill pond down south, and otters are made to feel unwelcome. The ones that don't get the message seem to all be allergic to lead.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast