Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

So much for my pond...

I have a small pond on my property, have been stocking it for years. The grand kids love to fish in it because it truly is "catching".

This time of year we catch grasshoppers and throw them in and about the second or third time they kick, WHAM!

Went out today and nothing, nada.

Checked the game camera and found three large, well fed otters walking through my woods a healthy mile from Blue River.

It is one thing to have fished Blue River for years and loving it until now all you can catch is Goggleye and Asian carp, but now the robbers cleaned out my own honey hole.

A friend in another county had the same problem and called the DNR to complain. Their answer (no lie) was, "not to worry, when all the fish are gone they will leave..."

I pushed the pond in years ago, before grand kids, for the wildlife to water. It is a big draw for all the animals on my place and a game camera will get 200 to 2000 pics a month.

Granted, otters are wildlife but so are termites and I don't want to keep them fed either.

I don't know what the memory of an otter is like but I guess I spent all my time and money making a smorgasbord...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

Sorry, man.

Dont give up. Be patient and SSS.

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Maybe you need a pet security wolverine.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Sorry, man.

Dont give up. Be patient and SSS.

That is all.
    This.......totally.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

There will likely be a trapping season opening up soon if it hasn’t already. Might allow you to take one of them and if the others see it maybe they’ll get lost.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

Master

User Info Menu

nov 15 to march 15 is trapping season, 2 per person per season..

User Info Menu

this kind reminds me of my father complaining about the squirrels in his back yard. The yard is festooned with oak and chestnut trees, lots of shrubbery, and a good sized landscaped pond with waterfall, goldfish, etc. So lots of food, water and shelter for squirrels. Of course they are going to hang out there.

Like the squirrels, the otters are probably singing songs of praise and worship of you, the creator of the big feed place.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thank the dnr for reintroducing the otter. Of all things to waste time and money on, a pond raiding otter? I'd trap or kill the otter.

Then there is the bobcat, an animal that was not reintroduced and whose population is booming and they won't open a season.

User Info Menu

When I was a kid we dispatched many muskrats and snapping turtles in our farm pond with a Ruger 10/22. Stories like this remind me why we were quick to eliminate them.
    Endowment Member, National Rifle Association; Member, Gun Owners of America; Member, Second Amendment Foundation; Member, Marion County Fish and Game Association; Member, Revere's Riders; Rifleman, Project Appleseed; Private Pilot, Airplane, Single-Engine Land

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbhausen View Post
    When I was a kid we dispatched many muskrats and snapping turtles in our farm pond with a Ruger 10/22. Stories like this remind me why we were quick to eliminate them.
    We ended many a 4 legged intruder back on the family farm with bolt actions/iron sights.

AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast