• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Wanting to move into a Beretta A300 for some Pheasant and Dove hunting. I really like the feel of their 24 inch barreled Turkey model in this line vs the 28 inch Upland/Waterfowl gun.

I see many differing opinions that Upland game should be hunted with 28 inch barrels but Randy Wakeman suggested that Jack O'Connor like a 24-25 inch in his semi-auto guns as well does he.

I have only hunted Pheasant and Chukkar 3 times and loved it, all done with a Remington 870 and a 26 inch barrel.

So aside from velocity of 6fps an inch difference, does an extra 4 inch really help with swing and sight line like I have read in numerous articles?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The extra length adds extra weight of course and the extra weights provides a little extra momentum to help with follow through. Personally, I'd be willing to make the trade off for a lighter, handier shotgun if I were only going to be upland hunting and primarily on preserves.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I grew up on a 30” barrel, so I can’t shoot those little short barrels very well. Whatever you get, shoot it as much as possible

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    It all depends on the gun. Go to Indiana Gun Club and handle as many as you can. I use either a browning citori with 28" barrels in 20ga or Fabarams L4S 28".

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I have a 26" Beretta 686 and 28" Citori. I prefer the 28" for shooting clays with my buddies(because it's insanely good for that) but usually grab the 26" for doves. Choke and ammo make more difference. I bought a new A300, shot it a little, and gave it to my brother. Good gun but I prefer O/U's, but that's me.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I shoot side by sides mostly and have one old Browning Citori Superlight in 20 gauge, 26 inches...I've got an AYA Yeoman in 28 inches, a nice 20 gauge Spanish sidelock with 28 inches and an Italian boxlock sxs in 20 gauge with 26 inches....

On doves I like the 28 inches...Here's the little Italian at the farm this weekend not getting any dove, fall turkey or woodcock.....

EHkkR5zXkAAoK0u
    EHfub7-X0AA6-xL
    EHkkR55XkAAfx5a
    EHkkR5zW4AAbEOM

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I shoot side by sides mostly and have one old Browning Citori Superlight in 20 gauge, 26 inches...I've got an AYA Yeoman in 28 inches, a nice 20 gauge Spanish sidelock with 28 inches and an Italian boxlock sxs in 20 gauge with 26 inches....

On doves I like the 28 inches...Here's the little Italian at the farm this weekend not getting any dove, fall turkey or woodcock.....

EHfub8CWkAAc14L
    EHfub7-X0AA6-xL

You Sir, are a gentleman and scholar and should be commended on your recognition of the proper barrel orientation for a double barrel shotgun! ;)

Top Bottom