• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Heading out with some old friends for a couple of days camping weekend.
    Besides under armour, does anyone have any recommendations for base layers that are good and reasonably priced ?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You can get some pretty good long underwear at even Kohl's these days. I suggest that. Also quite reasonably priced. And you can wear it for more than just camping. I tend to wear a thin base layer under my coveralls when I'm shoveling snow. I stay toasty warm (mostly due to activity) and don't sweat too much.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    I use my ecwcs I kept from the army but I’m sure you can grab the same stuff cheap at a surplus store. Waffle tops and bottoms and smoking jackets(field jacket liner)are what you want.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Merino wool should be on your list. I've got smartwool 250 base layers that I take with me when I'm going to be in the wilderness solo or even with a group but so far out help would be a day away best. In my opinion, a wool long sleeved top & bottom base layer should be a minimal kit carried when in the wild. Other wonderful options are "puffy" jackets of varying designs, weights, and costs. Keep in mind this kind of thing is a perfect example to save money on because you can find lightly used gear on ebay or facebook groups that are more than half off of new.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Lots of layers, with either polypropylene or silk or next to the skin, and wool outside that. Theoretically the silk or synthetic will pass the sweat out to the wool, which will stay warm even when wet.

If you know what you are looking for, Salvation Army/Goodwill are your friends. But I have yet to find a wool shirt there.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Thanks gentlemen for all of the great suggestions.
    Gonna be some chilly night's but nothing some hot coffee and a hearty breakfast won't fix.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Merino wool should be on your list. I've got smartwool 250 base layers that I take with me when I'm going to be in the wilderness solo or even with a group but so far out help would be a day away best. In my opinion, a wool long sleeved top & bottom base layer should be a minimal kit carried when in the wild. Other wonderful options are "puffy" jackets of varying designs, weights, and costs. Keep in mind this kind of thing is a perfect example to save money on because you can find lightly used gear on ebay or facebook groups that are more than half off of new.

This. Depending on how often you go outdoors in adverse conditions, it's worth the money to pay for Merino wool. Smartwool and Icebreaker are two good brands, as well as Patagonia. They will not be cheap though. If you want something that's pretty effective but less money, you can look at Patagonia's Capilene series.

I'm big on outdoors and after a while you learn that "buy nice or buy twice" works here as well. Have fun, stay warm!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I always figured that even if I get wet and miserable from head to toe in the worst case scenario the merino would still hold some of the heat in so I could live through the night. More times than not, I'll switch from whatever sweaty nasty clothes I'd been wearing all day and jump into the merino top & bottom before getting in my sleeping bag for the night.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm a big advocate of wool and synthetics. The only cotton I've worn in the past several years is jeans.

Merino wool is my base layer nearly every day all winter, even when I am just going to the office. (I'm the only one in the building most of the winter, so I leave the heat at 55.)

Icebreaker is my go-to. Minus 33 is also good. Darn Tough and Smartwool for socks.

Don't pay the extra for merino in anything other than a base layer. Regular wool flannel is awesome as a second layer, and it will be half the price of merino.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It's hard to be beat Gostwear prices for wool outerwear. I have a pair of the Big Bill wool pants and I'm more than happy with them. The quality seems on par with the much more expensive stuff I have from Johnson Woolen Mills.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm probably not much help, because I really didn't do anything special for "freezing-ish" temperatures, other than double up on sleeping bags. I'd just wear the standard waffle shirts and britches under regular jeans for fall, with insulated coverall over that (if it was winter camping).

P.S. I have flannel-lined jeans now which would pretty much eliminate the long john bottoms.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm probably not much help, because I really didn't do anything special for "freezing-ish" temperatures, other than double up on sleeping bags. I'd just wear the standard waffle shirts and britches under regular jeans for fall, with insulated coverall over that (if it was winter camping).

P.S. I have flannel-lined jeans now which would pretty much eliminate the long john bottoms.
    Until they get wet. In this day and age, there’s no reason to not make use of the plethora of technical fabrics available for cold and wet weather clothing. Well, there’s one reason, cotton is cheap, wool and technicals arent.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Until they get wet. In this day and age, there’s no reason to not make use of the plethora of technical fabrics available for cold and wet weather clothing. Well, there’s one reason, cotton is cheap, wool and technicals arent.
    I'm sure you're right, but since "outdoors in cold weather" has pretty much been limited to being out on the deck (like now :):) or leaf blowing/shoveling snow, they work. I do have one "undershirt" that is one of the moisture-wicking types and I do have to say it's probably warmer than the waffle shirts.

But back when I was a kid, the insulated coverall was fairly water-resistant, so I don't think I ever got wet.

My first winter camping experience when I was in Boy Scouts was a -15* night with probably wind chills close to -60. I had a little cheap Sears sleeping bag probably rated to 30*, if that. I learned a lot of things the hard way! :):

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I always figured that even if I get wet and miserable from head to toe in the worst case scenario the merino would still hold some of the heat in so I could live through the night. More times than not, I'll switch from whatever sweaty nasty clothes I'd been wearing all day and jump into the DRY merino top & bottom just before getting in my sleeping bag for the night.

^^^this^^^

Sleeping warm means getting out of whatever you wore during the day as it will be full of moisture (sweat) which will chill you. It may not look moist but it is. Also a wool watch cap on your head when sleeping and a dry pair of socks. Be certain you have a pad(s) with enough R value to keep the ground from sucking out your body heat. In the summer I like the inflatable backpacking mattresses (Big Agnes or Thermarest) for comfort but when it is cold I add a dense foam layer for insulation. Wife was along for first cold weather trip last weekend and was shocked how that extra foam layer helped her.

I really like merino wool for being warm, especially when active. You said you are on a budget and good merino is not exactly a budget item but is very versatile and you can wear all winter whether sleeping or working outdoors. So think of it as an investment that is not limited to one use. Be careful if the price seems too good as some cheep stuff is only 15-20% merino wool and the rest is mystery yarn.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Also a wool watch cap on your head when sleeping and a dry pair of socks.

This "wool watch cap" is also a golden piece of advice! I have one of these that I absolutely love! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RVD928/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The minus33deg merino watch cap is stretchy enough that it fits people with bucket sized heads like myself, but it's incredibly warm enough to surprise you on the worst days. I'd also add that I'm not a big fan of neck "buffs/gators" or anything snug around my neck, but when I go to the wild in the winter I absolutely take one. Anything that covers bare/exposed skin with merino is going to be a good thing to have. Again this is lightweight, thin, stretchy, and I don't get out in the winter without it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RV054S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm starting to sound like a minus33deg salesman here, but I'd also take a look at their t-shirts. I wore one under a rain jacket while kayaking around the Isle Royale in Lake Superior and that water gets very cold in the fall. Water was getting splashed on me and I had water from the paddle run up my arms and under the jacket getting me wet on nearly every stroke kayaking around up there. That shirt got wet, but it still felt warm and kept me going. I can't say enough good things for that shirt, and especially that after a few days keep in mind that merino wool won't start to smell funky. This is another product there's that I absolutely love and plan to take out with me, but in this case order a size and a half larger than what you think you need. They come cut in an athletic fit and they are built to be snug against the body. I prefer my clothes a little loose, but I'll make an exception for this shirt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R7E2M8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't do base layers and wool is too heavy. Wool also requires special washing.

Invested in a pair of bibs and a parka. No need to layer up anymore. Also a pair of lined pants makes it nice for when bibs are off. Parka is a three in one and can be adjusted as needed or taken off completely.

If camping in a campground an electric blanket will get you through the night. Take advantage of modern gear and materials.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I don't do base layers and wool is too heavy. Wool also requires special washing.

Invested in a pair of bibs and a parka. No need to layer up anymore. Also a pair of lined pants makes it nice for when bibs are off. Parka is a three in one and can be adjusted as needed or taken off completely.

Layering > bibs and parka. I stay comfortable and dry from well-below 0 on up into the 60s with varying levels of activity.

Special washing for wool can be done in a standard washing machine. Just lay flat to dry. Wool is barely more work to care for than synthetic fabrics.

And you can buy wool in various weights to fit your needs.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The minus33deg: watchcap, neck gator, t-shirts I have along with the smartwool 250 baselayers just get tossed in the wash on cold. We dry everything on gentle so it's all good there. The only time I've had clothes not fit after washing had more to do with my eating habits than anything else.

Another great source for cheap wool clothes is just getting on ebay. I got there years ago and typed in "Men's wool (enter size)" and then I just sort by the lowest price. I got a couple of nice sweaters that would look ugly at a party but are beautiful in the woods.

Top Bottom