• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I know a lot of you guys hunt at night, but I was wondering if any you guys BAIT for coyotes and I am looking to make a easy bait to make for hunting over.IF , you guys have a recipe you would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.Another question, does fox urine get their attention ?;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Don't know about fox urine...

As for bait, I use whatever meat is cheapest. Whole chickens, run a rope through it and stake it. Set up motion detector, and wait for it to go off. Sooner or later, a possum shows up. Shoot it, tie a rope around it, and wait for coyotes.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is there a deer processor near you?
    They will give away a carcass or twelve, if you ask.
    Most have to pay for disposal.

The local processor in my area holds back fresh deer legs for me.
    When he gets a dozen or so he'll call me up.
    I drop them in an old freezer and dispense them to my dogs throughout the year.
    They do love their deer-sicle ttreats.

I've been threatening to get a truckbed full of carcasses for coyote bait, but haven't done it yet.

One thing to note.
    I would make sure you can call the processor if needed.
    If you get pulled over with a half-dozen carcasses, you had better be able to prove you didn't poach them.
    C.Y.O.A.

My local processor is a pretty close friend.
    I know he will take my calls, and he also knows most of the DNR officers, and many of the local police.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You can call the sheriff and get put on a road kill call list. I'm on it, but I don't answer unknown numbers so I couldn't tell you if they've ever called me.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    IIRC somebody (mom45's husband?) here picks up roadkill (with permission, of course) and uses it with good results.

See a roadkill deer along the road. Call sheriff for permit to pick up. It's easy and works very well to draw in the coyotes. When it is gone (eaten), just grab another. There are many hit every day in our county so it isn't hard to find a nice fresh one. I saw six the other day on my way to work that hadn't been there the previous day.

Hubby keeps a plank and a chain in his truck. Put the chain or rope around their legs and drag them up the plank into the truck...easy to load even without help.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I know a lot of you guys hunt at night, but I was wondering if any you guys BAIT for coyotes and I am looking to make a easy bait to make for hunting over.IF , you guys have a recipe you would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.Another question, does fox urine get their attention ?;)

fox urine definitely gets their attention. But don't expect it to draw them in from any distance. It might be useful if you are trying to get them to a specific spot near your bait station where you can get a good shot at them. That's probably about it.

You might try a long distance call lure like a fur trapper would use. That might help coyotes find your bait station sooner than they would otherwise. Put a bean sized gob of it about 4-6' above the ground about 10' away from your bait pile. But once they find the bait pile, it's the food that's going to keep them coming back, not the lure.

I wonder if just a bag of commercial dog food would work for a bait station. I've heard that if you pour bacon grease in a hole, the coyotes will keep coming back to the hole for a long time. Still, I think large pieces of meat are your best bet to keep the coyotes coming back on a regular basis. About anything works. Beaver and muskrat carcasses would be the premier meat baits. I've heard raccoon and opossum are usually the last things eaten from a bait pile. You might check with some duck or goose hunters you know. Deer hunters would probably be happy to provide you with scraps and bones.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom