• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    What's the rules for a landowner hunting deer in Indiana?
    I recently inherited some land and not sure if I need to buy a license or what.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If you own it personally (or immediate family) you don’t need to buy state permits or tags. Federal migratory bird stamps still have to be purchased each year if you’re into hunting that stuff.

If the land is owned by a partnership, trust, LLC, etc, you are still exempt, provided the trust is owned by you and your immediate family only.

Basically if you own it, you hunt for free!

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    The DNR website says below. I feel it’s a bit open to interpretation.
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/3247.htm

Do I need a license to hunt on my property?

[FONT=&quot]“If you meet the following exemptions, then you do not need a license to hunt your own property. Exemptions: Landowners or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana are not required to obtain a permit while hunting, fishing, or trapping on the land they own or lease. A license is also NOT required for the landowner’s or lessee’s spouse or children living with them. This license exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family who farm that land.”
    [/FONT]

As for tagging them. I just used the online check in when I shot a doe during early archery. And under license type you select landowner.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    The DNR website says below. I feel it’s a bit open to interpretation.
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/3247.htm

Do I need a license to hunt on my property?

[FONT=&amp]“If you meet the following exemptions, then you do not need a license to hunt your own property. Exemptions: Landowners or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana are not required to obtain a permit while hunting, fishing, or trapping on the land they own or lease. A license is also NOT required for the landowner’s or lessee’s spouse or children living with them. This license exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family who farm that land.”
    [/FONT]

As for tagging them. I just used the online check in when I shot a doe during early archery. And under license type you select landowner.
    The key word here is farm. I had a conversation a few years ago with a CO about this. Defining a farm is the key. Do you have a tax exempt number for a farm? Can you show you are trying to make money from the land? Is listed as tree farm on you your property card? You get the idea.
    Just owning land does not exempt you from needing a license to hunt it. At least according to the ICO I spoke with.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    The key word here is farm. I had a conversation a few years ago with a CO about this. Defining a farm is the key. Do you have a tax exempt number for a farm? Can you show you are trying to make money from the land? Is listed as tree farm on you your property card? You get the idea.
    Just owning land does not exempt you from needing a license to hunt it. At least according to the ICO I spoke with.

Ironically, I just had this conversation with my neighbor. He said he & I don't need a license to hunt on our own land. I said that I always get a license because my land is not listed as a farm or agricultural. He said I was wrong and that if you own land you don't need a license. He also allows a lot of his "friends" to hunt his land. I told him that his "friends" also needed a license because they were not immediate family members of his. He said I was wrong. I said do what you want, I'm not arguing with you. I'm still gonna get a license like I always do to hunt my property. But I think my neighbor and his "friends" are misinterpreting and breaking the law.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I obtained some land just over two years ago and had the same questions.
    I contacted DNR directly and was told I do NOT need a license to hunt my property.
    It does NOT have to be farmland. It has to be "suitable to be used as farmland" but does NOT need to be actively farmed.

Also, "farmland" does not just mean beans and corn.
    If your land is suitable for growing fruit or nut trees, it is eligible as "farmland", again, whether it is being farmed or not.
    I really wish Indiana would clarify their hunting regulations.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Ironically, I just had this conversation with my neighbor. He said he & I don't need a license to hunt on our own land. I said that I always get a license because my land is not listed as a farm or agricultural. He said I was wrong and that if you own land you don't need a license. He also allows a lot of his "friends" to hunt his land. I told him that his "friends" also needed a license because they were not immediate family members of his. He said I was wrong. I said do what you want, I'm not arguing with you. I'm still gonna get a license like I always do to hunt my property. But I think my neighbor and his "friends" are misinterpreting and breaking the law.

You and your neighbor certainly can hunt your own property without a license. His “friends” need to have appropriate license.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Timber is also a crop that counts as farming so if the land is wooded, you can always say you plan to sell timber in the future.

As noted above, the exemption does not apply to any friends who you may allow to hunt the land with you.

Top Bottom