• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    So this is my first year hunting, and I'm addicted. I've shot two doe thus far and have really enjoyed all aspects of hunting. With rifle season coming to a close, I'm considering buying a muzzleloader for the next season. Any recommendations?

I've seen that newer muzzleloaders can be quite convenient with compacted powered pellets and what not. I've been a long-time rifle and gun owner but don't know all that much about muzzleloaders. I'm doing my research on YouTube, but any rifle or supply recommendations are appreciated!!!

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    Modern, CVA. Sidelock, start with a Lyman great plains rifle and buckle up.
    Love my savage smokeless.
    2700 fps
    VERY ACCURATE
    A true 300 yard muzzle loader
    No cleaning like with black powder rifles
    Had a knight in line which was a great shooter and killed many deer with.
    Have several side locks T/C hawkin and Renegade which works well also.
    What ever you choose,I would skip using pellets and use loose powder, FFF or paradox.
    The Encores are nice also.
    Go inline for sure with shotgun primer and shoot sabots.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I hunt with a CVA Wolf. Even during Firearms season I use it over my other rifles. I enjoy shooting it during the off season too. Something to keep in mind on Muzzle Loaders is you need to clean them immediately after you are done shooting. Cannot stress that enough. But I keep mine loaded during the season (just take out the 209 primer when home) and then the next hunting day place the 209 primer back in and ready to go. I do shoot mine off the last hunting day because I don't want to keep it loaded year round due to moisture harming the powder pellets over time.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have had good results with Thompson Center muzzleloaders. I have been using an Omega for the last few years and used a Pro Hunter before that. Definitely buy one with a tool free breech plug.

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    Love my savage smokeless.
    2700 fps
    VERY ACCURATE
    A true 300 yard muzzle loader
    No cleaning like with black powder rifles
    Had a knight in line which was a great shooter and killed many deer with.
    Have several side locks T/C hawkin and Renegade which works well also.
    What ever you choose,I would skip using pellets and use loose powder, FFF or paradox.
    The Encores are nice also.
    Go inline for sure with shotgun primer and shoot sabots.

Thanks for the feedback. Why is the powder superior to the pellets?

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    I have had good results with Thompson Center muzzleloaders. I have been using an Omega for the last few years and used a Pro Hunter before that. Definitely buy one with a tool free breech plug.

Thanks for the info. I have a TC Compass in .308 that I'm using for rifle season, great gun S&W makes!

omegahunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2019
    Daviess County
    With powder you have infinite fine tuning ability to adjust the powder charge to find what shoots the best from a particular rifle.

Pellets are all about convenience.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I'll be using this for muzzleloader this fall. .45, set trigger, uses No. 11 caps. Has to be sighted in yet - gotta get that done next week.
    RYpSo9r.jpg

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have heard of ignition trouble with pellets. Better consistency with loose powder. Triple 7 is pretty clean powder.

I have NEVER had any problem with pellets ignition. I like the Federal Blue MZ or the IMR White Hots the best. But I have used other brands such as Pyrodex, etc. and never had any problems. Probably shot several hundred times with my CVA Wolf.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So this is my first year hunting, and I'm addicted. I've shot two doe thus far and have really enjoyed all aspects of hunting. With rifle season coming to a close, I'm considering buying a muzzleloader for the next season. Any recommendations?

I've seen that newer muzzleloaders can be quite convenient with compacted powered pellets and what not. I've been a long-time rifle and gun owner but don't know all that much about muzzleloaders. I'm doing my research on YouTube, but any rifle or supply recommendations are appreciated!!!

Sent you a pm.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My first muzzle loader was the original Knight Disc Rifle. Very accurate gun. I started with pyrodex pellets, then triple 7 pellets , then Blackhorn powder, and now White hots. Never any trouble with any of them, but found the white hots the easiest to clean. My only complaint is that with a bolt style gun, cleaning the breach plug crud ring is a nightmare. When the CVA Accura 2nd edition came out with the speed breech, I bought the original version dirt cheap. It also is super accurate but so much easier to clean since its a break action. I use white hots and powerbelts. If you're wanting a modern ML, my vote is for a CVA break action.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have used the same CVA optima for about 10 years with no issues. I used it for several years during firearm season as well. Buy a modern name brand .50 cal in line muzzleloader and it will last years with the care mentioned above.

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    As far as pellets go,millions use them with great luck!
    BUT here is what I have observed.
    More corrosive as several have regular black powder in them to help ignition.
    Inconstant ignition.
    Accuracy issues,never as good as loose powder but will still kill deer.
    Inconstant velocity.
    Most of these problems are because there is air space around the pellets.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I suppose I could dust off the Hawken Silver Elite.
    Musket cap (instead of #11), T7 granulated, TC Maxi Hunter

Tolerate T7 granulated (FFg equiv).
    Prefer reg Goex black

Have run a few TC side hammers and Knight inlines in the past.
    No ignition probs. Great accuracy. All were #11 and FFg Goex.

Then along came the nonsense and BP wasn't around.
    Then a stainless TC side hammer.

Total PITA, but I eventually got it to behave.
    Been in storage for years.

Proly stay there LOL

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have enjoyed black powder for over 30 years now. I have all types and the secret is you have to shoot them enough to understand the individual firearm.

I like the Knight and Thompson stainless inlines for easy clean and longevity.

I have several Hawkin style side lock percussion caps including a left handed. Sometimes I get tired if picking brass out of my nose and shoot lefty.

I have a .32 cal Leman and a .36 cal Leman original rifles. (CVA copied them a lot)

The only thing more important than shooting is cleaning. Never use a hydrocarbon. No abrasives. Don't be afraid of soap and water. Always bore butter. Have fun.

Top Bottom