Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Muzzleloader Season

So this is my first year hunting, and I'm addicted. I've shot two doe thus far and have really enjoyed all aspects of hunting. With rifle season coming to a close, I'm considering buying a muzzleloader for the next season. Any recommendations?

I've seen that newer muzzleloaders can be quite convenient with compacted powered pellets and what not. I've been a long-time rifle and gun owner but don't know all that much about muzzleloaders. I'm doing my research on YouTube, but any rifle or supply recommendations are appreciated!!!
    The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Modern, CVA. Sidelock, start with a Lyman great plains rifle and buckle up.
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeadeyeChrista'sdad View Post
    Modern, CVA. Sidelock, start with a Lyman great plains rifle and buckle up.
    Love my savage smokeless.
    2700 fps
    VERY ACCURATE
    A true 300 yard muzzle loader
    No cleaning like with black powder rifles
    Had a knight in line which was a great shooter and killed many deer with.
    Have several side locks T/C hawkin and Renegade which works well also.
    What ever you choose,I would skip using pellets and use loose powder, FFF or paradox.
    The Encores are nice also.
    Go inline for sure with shotgun primer and shoot sabots.

User Info Menu

I hunt with a CVA Wolf. Even during Firearms season I use it over my other rifles. I enjoy shooting it during the off season too. Something to keep in mind on Muzzle Loaders is you need to clean them immediately after you are done shooting. Cannot stress that enough. But I keep mine loaded during the season (just take out the 209 primer when home) and then the next hunting day place the 209 primer back in and ready to go. I do shoot mine off the last hunting day because I don't want to keep it loaded year round due to moisture harming the powder pellets over time.

Expert

User Info Menu

I have had good results with Thompson Center muzzleloaders. I have been using an Omega for the last few years and used a Pro Hunter before that. Definitely buy one with a tool free breech plug.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shootin45super View Post
    Love my savage smokeless.
    2700 fps
    VERY ACCURATE
    A true 300 yard muzzle loader
    No cleaning like with black powder rifles
    Had a knight in line which was a great shooter and killed many deer with.
    Have several side locks T/C hawkin and Renegade which works well also.
    What ever you choose,I would skip using pellets and use loose powder, FFF or paradox.
    The Encores are nice also.
    Go inline for sure with shotgun primer and shoot sabots.
    Thanks for the feedback. Why is the powder superior to the pellets?
    The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bstewrat3 View Post
    I have had good results with Thompson Center muzzleloaders. I have been using an Omega for the last few years and used a Pro Hunter before that. Definitely buy one with a tool free breech plug.
    Thanks for the info. I have a TC Compass in .308 that I'm using for rifle season, great gun S&W makes!

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Some of us just like powder better. I usually buy mine at Friendship during the spring national shoot. Some like the convenience of pellets. Really, it's up to you.
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

Plinker

User Info Menu

With powder you have infinite fine tuning ability to adjust the powder charge to find what shoots the best from a particular rifle.

Pellets are all about convenience.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

I have heard of ignition trouble with pellets. Better consistency with loose powder. Triple 7 is pretty clean powder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast