• ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    just want to put this out there....

had to shoot a doe this morning someone shot and didn't hit good and it was walking around wounded.....

must have been i few days back as she stunk of death with a nasty front leg/shoulder wound......could not salvage any meat from her as when i opened her up all the meat stunk...

so the moral of the story is learn how to shoot to kill or stay out of the woods....

rant over....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd go one further and ask that many just not vote, or breed.

Have used my tags on a couple wounded by others over the years.
    Dunno why their shots landed off the mark.

Equipment issue, ammo issue, deflection (unseen) or bad shooting?

Shot one that appeared to have been by a car, healed up but wouldn't make it through winter.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Sadly, it has happened to a few hunters,skilled or not, just sad for deer.I found a freshly shot 11 pointer by my brothers farm, it was next to a creek just laying there.When we field dressed buck we coundnt find bullet hole,it turned out hunter shot at face of deer and bullet busted jaw and bullet traveled down throat into body cavity and bled internally.That hunter shot a beautiful big buck and LOST it.It taught me a lesson about shooting at a deer head on.I have that buck in my wood shop, glad it didnt get wasted.PS made great deer stiks etc,guys at work loved the roast I brought.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I used to float hunt for ducks, I used to find a lot of deer dead down by the water. I don't know if people shoot into the brush or if they overestimate their long range abilities or what.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    After watching several obvious "hunters" at the range sighting their equipment in my first thought was sympathy for the deer. Most would be fortunate to hit a 8" pie plate at 25 yards.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” --- Coach[/FONT]

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Tough crowd here. While I'm sure there are plenty of weekend warrior hunters out there as you described, things happen when you're out there hunting that are just bad luck etc. Branch you didn't see, deer took an unexpected step in a random direction at the wrong moment, things happen. Could be a young hunter's first shot and they got nervous and pulled the shot. I try to think most hunters are responsible sportsmen and realize that things out in the field aren't as cut and dry as they are at the range. I'm sure that most here will see this as naive, and maybe it is.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Remember back when the DNR approved .410 slugs, so that kids could "shoot at" deer with dad???

Same diameter slug as a .41cal, and usually a heavier projectile.
    I've taken a doe with a .410.
    Not my round of choice, but if you do your job. it will suffice.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

But that's the whole point. Who is such a gun being purchased for? It is nobody's round of choice, except someone who can't handle something bigger. It's an entitlement mentality. Everybody in the family is "entitled" to their deer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I usually find some dead ones after season, but hunting in the HNF has been so light this year I'm not expecting any.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    A 22LR will suffice properly placed just as a 12GA can be a maiming shot if improperly placed. Small caliber and inexperienced hunter is a bad combination. Too many people are completely self-centered as well as feeling special and entitled. Unfortunately that's the world we live in.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” --- Coach[/FONT]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank you friends. That's what I was trying to get across. When they passed the .410 regulation change, they did it for all the wrong reasons.

I had neighborhood kids that sat in uncle bubba's tree stand that had shot their newly bought .410's 3 or 4 times. Maybe once with a slug, never at paper to "sight in" their bead. :n00b:

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    "can't track"

would be hard for a colorblind person I reckon.

And I'm sure some newbs think the deer should just be laying there after the shot.
    Hell, we have a lot of web posts about "drop em in their tracks".

One guy claimed that w .44 mag rifle, to 225 yards on one forum.
    All the time.

Turns out he later changed it to "down within 50 yards".

But I suspected he was FOS then too.

Top Bottom