Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Expert

    User Info Menu

    Archery Question?

    So I have a question.


    I "think" you can use archery the entire season.

    If you get an archery tag is it good through all the seasons?

  2. #2
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Yes you can use your archery tag the entire season as long as you are bow hunting with it. Archery season comes in on October 1st and goes out the first Sunday in January.

  3. #3
    Master Willie's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Same with a crossbow if you have a crossbow license;

  4. #4
    Expert

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Same with a crossbow if you have a crossbow license;
    Didn't know it was two different tags?

  5. #5
    Master Willie's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjones223 View Post
    Didn't know it was two different tags?
    Yes, it is. Even though we could use an archery tag (handicapped and late archery season) for crossbows before they were legalized for everyone that changed when they were included in the full archery season. It was a "compromise". The organized bowhunter group wanted crossbows to have their own license so they just might be able to keep them out of the full archery season. I said, "OK, make a crossbow license but put us in the full archery season".. and that is what the DNR/NRC did. It took from 2001 to 2012 to get that inclusion.


    .

  6. #6
    Grandmaster Hookeye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Data collection.
    Diff license allows them to track vertical bow and X bow separately.
    Bow shops are having a rough go with the vertical bow sales.
    A couple I've talked to.............50% are X bow sales.
    And total sales of both X bow and vertical, are down.


    People buy one X bow and let everybody in the fam use it.

  7. #7
    Expert

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Yes, it is. Even though we could use an archery tag (handicapped and late archery season) for crossbows before they were legalized for everyone that changed when they were included in the full archery season. It was a "compromise". The organized bowhunter group wanted crossbows to have their own license so they just might be able to keep them out of the full archery season. I said, "OK, make a crossbow license but put us in the full archery season".. and that is what the DNR/NRC did. It took from 2001 to 2012 to get that inclusion.


    .
    Thanks for the info!

  8. #8
    Master Willie's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
    Data collection.
    Diff license allows them to track vertical bow and X bow separately.
    Bow shops are having a rough go with the vertical bow sales.
    A couple I've talked to.............50% are X bow sales.
    And total sales of both X bow and vertical, are down.
    People buy one X bow and let everybody in the fam use it.
    Pretty well true, but...

    The DNR does not know for sure what hunting tool every hunter uses as a lot of the hunters are Lifetime License holders, landowners. or bundle buyers..

    They can get a handle on how many deer are killed with what.. See - https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm where you can see how many deer are killed with what hunting tool as well as compare those numbers to previous years.

    Pretty ineresting as it appears that crossbow kills will pass the vertical bow kills for the first time since their inclusion in 2012

    https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm





  9. #9
    Expert amboy49's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Pretty well true, but...

    The DNR does not know for sure what hunting tool every hunter uses as a lot of the hunters are Lifetime License holders, landowners. or bundle buyers..

    They can get a handle on how many deer are killed with what.. See - https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm where you can see how many deer are killed with what hunting tool as well as compare those numbers to previous years.

    Pretty ineresting as it appears that crossbow kills will pass the vertical bow kills for the first time since their inclusion in 2012

    https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm





    It shouldn’t be a surprise there are more deer being killed with a crossbow than a “vertical” bow. It doesn’t take a lot of skill for a crossbow hunter to put the bow on a rest and, after centering the animal in the crosshairs of the scope, to pull the trigger with accuracy out to a possible 100 yards (or at least many think an ethical shot can be made out that far).

    I’m sure I’ll get flamed for dissing the crossbow shooters - and for those with torn ligaments or other shoulder problems I understand the physical limitations of using a vertical bow. However, for those who are just too lazy to practice or too inept to become proficient I say shame on you. The only possible positive benefit I can think of is a possible reduction in wounded animals by folks using the more accurate crossbow.

  10. #10
    Sharpshooter Restroyer's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by amboy49 View Post
    It shouldn’t be a surprise there are more deer being killed with a crossbow than a “vertical” bow. It doesn’t take a lot of skill for a crossbow hunter to put the bow on a rest and, after centering the animal in the crosshairs of the scope, to pull the trigger with accuracy out to a possible 100 yards (or at least many think an ethical shot can be made out that far).

    I’m sure I’ll get flamed for dissing the crossbow shooters - and for those with torn ligaments or other shoulder problems I understand the physical limitations of using a vertical bow. However, for those who are just too lazy to practice or too inept to become proficient I say shame on you. The only possible positive benefit I can think of is a possible reduction in wounded animals by folks using the more accurate crossbow.
    Where do you get the 100 yard shot with a Crossbow. I don't hunt with crossbows but that's just a false statement. Crossbow shots should be relegated to 40 yards, maybe 50 tops.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge