• ...and so much more!
  • El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Yes you can use your archery tag the entire season as long as you are bow hunting with it. Archery season comes in on October 1st and goes out the first Sunday in January.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Didn't know it was two different tags?

Yes, it is. Even though we could use an archery tag (handicapped and late archery season) for crossbows before they were legalized for everyone that changed when they were included in the full archery season. It was a "compromise". The organized bowhunter group wanted crossbows to have their own license so they just might be able to keep them out of the full archery season. I said, "OK, make a crossbow license but put us in the full archery season".. and that is what the DNR/NRC did. It took from 2001 to 2012 to get that inclusion.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Data collection.
    Diff license allows them to track vertical bow and X bow separately.
    Bow shops are having a rough go with the vertical bow sales.
    A couple I've talked to.............50% are X bow sales.
    And total sales of both X bow and vertical, are down.

People buy one X bow and let everybody in the fam use it.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Yes, it is. Even though we could use an archery tag (handicapped and late archery season) for crossbows before they were legalized for everyone that changed when they were included in the full archery season. It was a "compromise". The organized bowhunter group wanted crossbows to have their own license so they just might be able to keep them out of the full archery season. I said, "OK, make a crossbow license but put us in the full archery season".. and that is what the DNR/NRC did. It took from 2001 to 2012 to get that inclusion.

Thanks for the info!:ingo:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Data collection.
    Diff license allows them to track vertical bow and X bow separately.
    Bow shops are having a rough go with the vertical bow sales.
    A couple I've talked to.............50% are X bow sales.
    And total sales of both X bow and vertical, are down.
    People buy one X bow and let everybody in the fam use it.

Pretty well true, but...

The DNR does not know for sure what hunting tool every hunter uses as a lot of the hunters are Lifetime License holders, landowners. or bundle buyers..

They can get a handle on how many deer are killed with what.. See - https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm where you can see how many deer are killed with what hunting tool as well as compare those numbers to previous years.

Pretty ineresting as it appears that crossbow kills will pass the vertical bow kills for the first time since their inclusion in 2012

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Pretty well true, but...

The DNR does not know for sure what hunting tool every hunter uses as a lot of the hunters are Lifetime License holders, landowners. or bundle buyers..

They can get a handle on how many deer are killed with what.. See - https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm where you can see how many deer are killed with what hunting tool as well as compare those numbers to previous years.

Pretty ineresting as it appears that crossbow kills will pass the vertical bow kills for the first time since their inclusion in 2012

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/10286.htm

It shouldn’t be a surprise there are more deer being killed with a crossbow than a “vertical” bow. It doesn’t take a lot of skill for a crossbow hunter to put the bow on a rest and, after centering the animal in the crosshairs of the scope, to pull the trigger with accuracy out to a possible 100 yards (or at least many think an ethical shot can be made out that far).

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for dissing the crossbow shooters - and for those with torn ligaments or other shoulder problems I understand the physical limitations of using a vertical bow. However, for those who are just too lazy to practice or too inept to become proficient I say shame on you. The only possible positive benefit I can think of is a possible reduction in wounded animals by folks using the more accurate crossbow.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    It shouldn’t be a surprise there are more deer being killed with a crossbow than a “vertical” bow. It doesn’t take a lot of skill for a crossbow hunter to put the bow on a rest and, after centering the animal in the crosshairs of the scope, to pull the trigger with accuracy out to a possible 100 yards (or at least many think an ethical shot can be made out that far).

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for dissing the crossbow shooters - and for those with torn ligaments or other shoulder problems I understand the physical limitations of using a vertical bow. However, for those who are just too lazy to practice or too inept to become proficient I say shame on you. The only possible positive benefit I can think of is a possible reduction in wounded animals by folks using the more accurate crossbow.

Where do you get the 100 yard shot with a Crossbow. I don't hunt with crossbows but that's just a false statement. Crossbow shots should be relegated to 40 yards, maybe 50 tops.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

REALLY?

Back in the day before work, life, and kids sucked up all my time I was practicing every week with the vertical bow and was very proficient. Once I got a 4yo, 2yo, and an old house to fix up and try and turn into a home that time was no longer there to feel comfortable to take an ethical shot so I sold my bow to someone who had the time.

So during the season on the rare occasion I could find some time to go I couldn't because I didn't feel it was fair to the quarry.

Just bought a crossbow this year after 15 years of not being able to do bow season due to other responsibilities.

I am happy you have the free time to go practice enough to be confident enough to use a vertical bow for a clean ethical kill but to call others "lazy" is ignorant!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have heard X bow customers say they want it because it's easier and they want to kill the buck before the neighboring vertical bow hunter does.
    Heard that stated many times.

X bow is X bow...........money is green.
    Hunter or lazy bastard, doesn't matter.

I like to bow hunt. Like to gun hunt too.
    But when I can't shoot a vertical bow anymore, I'll just gun hunt.
    Grew up with a love of bows.
    X bows aint for me.

Got a kid w bum shoulders. If she wants to hunt with one I'll buy her one.

Doc flat out said she can't shoot over 30# w reg bow.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had an old house, worked multiple shifts, and had 3 kids.
    Remember setting up a compound bow and zeroing in off the deck, night before opener.
    Broadheads going into bales in the garage.

Daylight, in town, I could get 40 yards from sidewalk to shed (30 was just past my privacy fence gate).
    Big houses, nobody could see me shoot passing by, unless I was doing 40 yarders LOL.

Have shot for years so is like riding a bike. No big deal.
    Diff house, smaller yard. I'll move my bag target to the patio in crap weather and shoot from my back room, just 10 yards.
    But it keeps the muscles in shape. And I can rip a few after work, 1 AM-2AM.
    Do what ya gotta do.

Unfortunately I popped something in my elbow and it's not getting better.
    Affecting hand as well.
    Think torn ligament.
    Made a cool pop sound when putting in a treestand right before gun season.

Range of motion reduced. Extension hurts, but pull back (reduced strength- it just doesn't want to do anything) is still doable.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'll recurve hunt maybe next weekend.
    Shots all under 20 yards.
    High anchor, arrow as sight.
    Pretty easy really as long as spine issues stay away.
    54#@28", no snap shooting.

Did buy an old Oneida for release use, when my back screws up.
    Set it at 60#.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009

I have used a crossbow and I want to trade it for something else. For me the crossbow wasn’t any easier to use for hunting.
    They don’t balance well which makes it really hard to shoot off hand which happens a lot when hunting deer at close range. Scopes can be hard to follow deer at close range especially if they are walking. Follow up shots if needed are almost impossible and try cocking one without a crank style cocking device in a climber. Yeah I would rather use an evil compound(that hard line traditional bowhunters call them) or a recurve(which many compound shooters call less effective).

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I also say this. I am obviously not against someone using one. I say shame on the folks who say they shouldn’t use a method to kill deer with a weapon that our DNR has deemed perfectly legal to use.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Legal and ethical...........didn't know the DNR was a religion LOL

Wonder how a reddot would work on an X bow. No magnification, would proly keep shots closer.
    But then some magnification is nice to see twigs and stuff that could be a problem.

Lots of X bows work, but many are pretty clumsy. A lot of them IMHO are also junky.

The newer stuff seems better but they are crazy expensive.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Our DNR............the ones that said PCR wasn't legal for a spell (due to blatant spin on HP rifle law).
    The hunter picks what is ethical within the law.

A crappy shot is a crappy shot, and equipment choice is no excuse.

If one can't master the compound, or just doesn't want to, so be it. Go X bow.
    My only thing about it................don't call yourself a bowhunter if using an X bow.
    Call yourself an X bow hunter.

Too many are trying to spin stuff.
    IMHO it's like wearing a bad toupee' and saying you're not bald.

Too many Xbow hunters don't want to admit they are ex bowhunters.

And THAT to me speaks volumes on their character.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One of my kids has had both shoulders worked on.
    Surgeon said no bowhunting (30# max draw weight).
    If she wants to hunt deer, she will have to use X bow.

So she will be an Xbow hunter.

Even if she had no health issues, if she wanted to hunt X bow I'd buy her one.

Hunter. X bow hunter. Deer hunter. Some titles more specific than others.

Bowhunter is vertical bow IMHO. Always will be.
    Have some long time deer hunters, archers, that had to go X bow.
    Just is what it is.
    Accept it and fill the freezer.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have used a crossbow and I want to trade it for something else. For me the crossbow wasn’t any easier to use for hunting.
    They don’t balance well which makes it really hard to shoot off hand which happens a lot when hunting deer at close range. Scopes can be hard to follow deer at close range especially if they are walking. Follow up shots if needed are almost impossible and try cocking one without a crank style cocking device in a climber. Yeah I would rather use an evil compound(that hard line traditional bowhunters call them) or a recurve(which many compound shooters call less effective).

Anyone that thinks using a crossbow is easier than a vertical bow doesn't have the first clue what they are talking about. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Frankly, having used both I greatly prefer a vertical bow but my shoulder will no longer support that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom