• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The lack of any apparent drop off in the year to date numbers for 2019 compared to recent years despite EHD is interesting. Of course, the weather conditions couldn't have been better most of the season so far which likely plays some part in that. It'll be interesting to see if the totals for the late season take a dip with the die off and reduced doe quotas.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The lack of any apparent drop off in the year to date numbers for 2019 compared to recent years despite EHD is interesting. Of course, the weather conditions couldn't have been better most of the season so far which likely plays some part in that. It'll be interesting to see if the totals for the late season take a dip with the die off and reduced doe quotas.

If you look at the buck kill you'll see that they make up the jump from the previous years, not the antlerless. Number of bucks harvested is one of the criteria that the DNR uses in determining herd decline, growth or stability as well as establishing the bonus quotas for the counties.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The idea that 4000 more deer were taken in Harrison than Perry is laughable. 4000 more reported, yes.

In Crawford County I didn't think that many people had phones much less computers...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you look at the buck kill you'll see that they make up the jump from the previous years, not the antlerless. Number of bucks harvested is one of the criteria that the DNR uses in determining herd decline, growth or stability as well as establishing the bonus quotas for the counties.

Yes, I get that but EHD is not sex selective and for the buck harvest to make up the increase in harvest from the previous few years, those bucks had to survive the EHD outbreak in order to be killed during hunting season. It stands to reason that the percentage of bucks surviving EHD was at least in the same ballpark as the does. Also, the doe only harvest is also higher at this point this year than last year. It looks to me like this was still a bounce back year from the previous two years despite the EHD outbreak, at least this far into season. I wouldn't be surprised if the late season numbers take a strong dip this year though.

JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    We hunt down in Switzerland county, and we have noticed a large decrease in the number of deer spotted over the last 5 years. Less this year than last too, hope to see these numbers start rebounding a little thought the insurance companies likely do not.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    We hunt down in Switzerland county, and we have noticed a large decrease in the number of deer spotted over the last 5 years. Less this year than last too, hope to see these numbers start rebounding a little thought the insurance companies likely do not.

I live in a county near there and have several friends that hunt in Switzerland County. A lot of rich guys from Ohio & Kentucky have bought large parcels of farm or woodlands in Switzerland County strictly to hunt there (I know some doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc. have bought land there to hunt). I wonder if the influx of these out of state people have hurt the hunting in that county?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    two70,

The antlerless kill is down a few hundred. That will probably start t change this weekend as the MZers kill way more antlerless than antlered deer.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    two70,

The antlerless kill is down a few hundred. That will probably start t change this weekend as the MZers kill way more antlerless than antlered deer.

The anterless kill overall is down but the continued downward trend of the button buck harvest is the driver there. The doe only portion of that is actually up slightly from last year though still less than the 3 years preceding last year.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My area has few does. Wasnt bad 10 yrs ago. Not great, but not bad.

Ive mentioned to a few, that just because they buy the bundle, that doesnt mean they have to fill all tags.

And half look at ya like " yes I do".

Smdh

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dunno how many phantoms there are, but I bet there are some.
    Instant check legalities.............some folks proly not care.
    How much the state cares?

Like poaching, bet they have a number they use in their calculations.

Top Bottom