Join INGunOwners For Free

Thread: Do turkeys flock by sex?

User Info Menu

Do turkeys flock by sex?

This morning I woke up to find a flock of 19 turkeys in my back yard. The first thing that I noticed was that they were ALL huge Toms, and half of them were trying to outdo each other with their tail fan displays. If it was spring or early summer I would assume the hens were on nests. However, this time of year I would expect the Hens to be with the Toms, all in the same flock. Should I expect to see a flock if only hens? Thanks fir any input. I got a good photo, but cannot figure out how to easily post it.
    With so many places beating dicks I think it's gonna hurt dicks bad.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Tom's and Jake's group together and hens group up in winter together. This time of year I rarely see mixed sex flocks.

Master

User Info Menu

I swear by sex but never have flocked that I know of.
    Local tribal warlord

I am Asher's son.

Body of a 56 yr old. Skeleton of a 90 yr old

User Info Menu

I would hope they flock with the opposite sex. How else are we supposed to get baby turkeys?

I quick google on turkey flock behavior:
    https://blog.nature.org/science/2017...-wild-turkeys/
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

Fermented corn, toms gotta be drunk, because those hens are UGLY (how are we supposed to get baby turkeys)

User Info Menu

Right now on my Trail Cameras I am getting both mixed and separated sexes. Most of the groups I am seeing are in the 12 to 20 turkeys in a group. Some of the days they are a mix of Toms & Hens and other days they are just Toms or Hens. One day last week I had a video of 7 Toms trying to outdo one another and semi-strutting and half effort fighting. The next day there were several Toms mixed among about a dozen hens. Seems to vary by day lately at my place.

User Info Menu

Outside of the breeding season I rarely see mixed flocks around our place.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

In the bars I go to, yes they flock to sex.

Expert

User Info Menu

Come on spring Toms.!! Winter is when I practice my calling and prepping my gear in hopes winter ends and late April arrives.!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Restroyer View Post
    Right now on my Trail Cameras I am getting both mixed and separated sexes. Most of the groups I am seeing are in the 12 to 20 turkeys in a group. Some of the days they are a mix of Toms & Hens and other days they are just Toms or Hens. One day last week I had a video of 7 Toms trying to outdo one another and semi-strutting and half effort fighting. The next day there were several Toms mixed among about a dozen hens. Seems to vary by day lately at my place.
    A couple still frames from one of my trail camera videos (one showing Tom mixed in with hens and another showing a mix of Tom / Jakes). They seem to be off and on together or separated by gender depending on the day.
    Tom hanging with hens 11-18-19.JPGToms Jakes 11-15-19.JPG