• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    That weasel thread got me thinkin'. What's the most unusual wildlife you've seen? My wife has been to India and has seen elephants and monkeys. I once saw a guitarfish and tried to catch it. I've seen otters and giant sea turtles. All in Florida waters. We used to have an albino squirrel in the neighborhood.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    We have a odd squirrel in our back yard also. It has a white body with a brown tail. It isn't albino, the tail is lighter brown but for sure not white. The body is also not stark white but it is definitely not just the way the sun hits it.

Edit to add pics of actual squirrel.
    sxGzLhz.jpg

x6kruNY.jpg

jPENJ86.jpg

Last spring /summer we had a squirrel that wouldn't leave my wife alone. It followed her like a puppy when she worked in the yard. I mean like she had to shew it away. It showed no aggression, no red flags for disease, it just acted like it had been domesticated by some neighbor and wanted to be held.

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I had a manatee swim into me while snorkeling in the gulf. I did not see it as it swam up behind me and bumped into my back. I literally created a brown cloud around us both.

Dirty Steve

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I watched and otter run across an open field while sitting in my deer stand.

I've seen weasels from my stand.

I watched a pair of otters playing in the snow and tobogganing up and down a snowy hill 30 feet from my duck blind.

Had a 12-13 ft gator swim past my dock in FL, dolphins, rays etc.

Most interesting was having a cow and calf manatee show up on Easter morning off the dock so my girls could see.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Indiana: lesser siren, eel, blue sucker, pied-billed Grebe, woodcock

South Africa: black wildebeest, caracal, secretary bird, mongoose, vaal rhebuck, mountain reedbuck, waterbuck, bat eared fox, duiker, lechwe, springhare

Texas: javelina, armadillo, blackbuck, fallow deer

Nebraska: porcupine

Wyoming: bighorn Sheep

Florida: sea cucumber, manatee

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We have a odd squirrel in our back yard also. It has a white body with a brown tail. It isn't albino, the tail is lighter brown but for sure not white. The body is also not stark white but it is definitely not just the way the sun hits it.

from google image search, it looks pretty close to this:
    leucisticsquirrel-186x300.jpg

Last spring /summer we had a squirrel that wouldn't leave my wife alone. It followed her like a puppy when she worked in the yard. I mean like she had to shew it away. It showed no aggression, no red flags for disease, it just acted like it had been domesticated by some neighbor and wanted to be held.

That’s a pie-bald squirrel. I’ve also seen deer like this.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Last March I had an interesting and memorable experience. I was at a landing in Bokeelia, FL where a Manatee Rescue boat launched. About a half hour later they came back with a 900# female who had been injured. They had a truck backed up to the ramp and 10 of us grabbed onto a net and hauled her out of the boat and into the truck for transport to Orlando. Very neat experience.
    The boat was interesting as well, designed just for the job. It had an outboard mounted in the bow. When they backed up to the ramp they just pulled out the transom, making it easy to offload the manatee.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Used to have a fallow buck roaming around Versailles,killed during the park shoot.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Perhaps not so unusual...........

Sat in my treestand while bowhunting deer one day years ago, watching 2-3 chipmunks closeby causing a ruckus. Never even saw it coming, but all of the sudden a hawk hit the ground and got one of them. That woke me up.

This past year, again while deer hunting, had a barn owl fly in and sit on a small sappling about 10 yds away. Not a horizontal limb, but completely vertical. Was neat to watch.

And one day I was grilling out back and looked up and had this guy visiting me.

attachment.php

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Several years ago while skiing at Boyne Mountain, a porcupine ambled across the ski slope. That was the second time I've seen a porcupine, first was in '99 on a ranch in SoDak that backed up to the national forest.

Then in '02 while shooting prairie dogs on the Buffalo Gap Grasslands, I had just shot a p-dog and was still looking through the scope when a badger popped up out of the grass. That was pretty freaky, and awesome all in one.

Headed back to the room after skiing at Winter Park, CO, a moose was just wandering through the base area. Not that Moose are unusual, but being in the base village was certainly unusual.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Armadillo road kill in southern Indiana. (I think) I had no idea possum on the half shell had migrated this far north.

Top Bottom