Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    DCR
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Most Unusual Wildlife you've seen

That weasel thread got me thinkin'. What's the most unusual wildlife you've seen? My wife has been to India and has seen elephants and monkeys. I once saw a guitarfish and tried to catch it. I've seen otters and giant sea turtles. All in Florida waters. We used to have an albino squirrel in the neighborhood.

User Info Menu

Iíve got a pie-bald (sp?) squirrel roaming the trees in my yard.
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

We have a odd squirrel in our back yard also. It has a white body with a brown tail. It isn't albino, the tail is lighter brown but for sure not white. The body is also not stark white but it is definitely not just the way the sun hits it.

Edit to add pics of actual squirrel.

Last spring /summer we had a squirrel that wouldn't leave my wife alone. It followed her like a puppy when she worked in the yard. I mean like she had to shew it away. It showed no aggression, no red flags for disease, it just acted like it had been domesticated by some neighbor and wanted to be held.
    Last edited by SmileDocHill; 12-29-2019 at 11:11.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

I had a manatee swim into me while snorkeling in the gulf. I did not see it as it swam up behind me and bumped into my back. I literally created a brown cloud around us both.

Dirty Steve

Expert

User Info Menu

I watched and otter run across an open field while sitting in my deer stand.

I've seen weasels from my stand.

I watched a pair of otters playing in the snow and tobogganing up and down a snowy hill 30 feet from my duck blind.

Had a 12-13 ft gator swim past my dock in FL, dolphins, rays etc.

Most interesting was having a cow and calf manatee show up on Easter morning off the dock so my girls could see.

User Info Menu

Indiana: lesser siren, eel, blue sucker, pied-billed Grebe, woodcock

South Africa: black wildebeest, caracal, secretary bird, mongoose, vaal rhebuck, mountain reedbuck, waterbuck, bat eared fox, duiker, lechwe, springhare

Texas: javelina, armadillo, blackbuck, fallow deer

Nebraska: porcupine

Wyoming: bighorn Sheep

Florida: sea cucumber, manatee

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SmileDocHill View Post
    We have a odd squirrel in our back yard also. It has a white body with a brown tail. It isn't albino, the tail is lighter brown but for sure not white. The body is also not stark white but it is definitely not just the way the sun hits it.

from google image search, it looks pretty close to this:

Last spring /summer we had a squirrel that wouldn't leave my wife alone. It followed her like a puppy when she worked in the yard. I mean like she had to shew it away. It showed no aggression, no red flags for disease, it just acted like it had been domesticated by some neighbor and wanted to be held.
    Thatís a pie-bald squirrel. Iíve also seen deer like this.
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodFearinGunTotin View Post
    Thatís a pie-bald squirrel. Iíve also seen deer like this.
    Interesting, I'm off to Google to see what is going on.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

DCR
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Last March I had an interesting and memorable experience. I was at a landing in Bokeelia, FL where a Manatee Rescue boat launched. About a half hour later they came back with a 900# female who had been injured. They had a truck backed up to the ramp and 10 of us grabbed onto a net and hauled her out of the boat and into the truck for transport to Orlando. Very neat experience.
    The boat was interesting as well, designed just for the job. It had an outboard mounted in the bow. When they backed up to the ramp they just pulled out the transom, making it easy to offload the manatee.

User Info Menu

Alligator in White river !

The meek shall inherit the earth.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast