Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

User Info Menu

Was gonna go this weekend but screwed up an ankle

Plinker

User Info Menu

I ran into one of those bastards last weekend. Third sighting this hunting season for me. It was about 100 yards away, little long to smoke it with a 12 gauge.

I will be contributing to the body count this year!

User Info Menu

+1

It's COLD outside!

User Info Menu

Yeah, it is! We had quite a hawk going here this morning too.

When I went out to do the bird feeders this morning 3 of the buggers ran across the back yard. Guess where I'm going to be this evening??? Finally got my Wraith earlier this week but haven't had the chance to get it mounted and sighted in yet. Had a large pile of poop in the middle of the driveway earlier in the week so they're coming in close, guess they're coming in get the mice and other small critters eating the spilled seed.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Expert

User Info Menu

I just finished reading a book called Coyote America by Dan Flores. Quite interesting.

One of the things that surprised me is that coyotes have a natural reaction to reduced numbers. They produce much larger litters when coyote numbers are low. Larger numbers create more diversity in the coyote stock and you get more chances to create coyotes that want to explore and can survive in non-traditional coyote habitat.

That is what is assumed to be the reason for coyotes, which are natives of the great pains and desert SW, to be moving east, north and south. Coyotes have also been near human companions for as long as human have been in N. America. There is something about humans that coyotes like, probably the fact that we don't like wolves, just like they don't as well.

Also because we create good places for coyotes to live and eat since humans attract rodents which coyotes eat as the main source of their food.

One other interesting thing was that in doing research of coyotes they almost never eat human pets or human game animals. They will on very rare occasions but nothing like the #s urban legends lead us to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AtTheMurph View Post
    I just finished reading a book called Coyote America by Dan Flores. Quite interesting.

One of the things that surprised me is that coyotes have a natural reaction to reduced numbers. They produce much larger litters when coyote numbers are low. Larger numbers create more diversity in the coyote stock and you get more chances to create coyotes that want to explore and can survive in non-traditional coyote habitat.

That is what is assumed to be the reason for coyotes, which are natives of the great pains and desert SW, to be moving east, north and south. Coyotes have also been near human companions for as long as human have been in N. America. There is something about humans that coyotes like, probably the fact that we don't like wolves, just like they don't as well.

Also because we create good places for coyotes to live and eat since humans attract rodents which coyotes eat as the main source of their food.

One other interesting thing was that in doing research of coyotes they almost never eat human pets or human game animals. They will on very rare occasions but nothing like the #s urban legends lead us to.

I have to disagree with this. This is from one of my game cameras on our property and that is a cat in the coyote's mouth.

I have a cousin who set a trail camera aimed at a coyote den. In 30 days, 23 fawns were taken into that den to feed the litter. Turkeys were almost wiped out on our property. After killing close about 40 coyotes the last three years, we are finally seeing turkeys again and actually saw hens raise poults this year. Past years, they would hatch some but the chicks always disappeared rather quickly.
    L.F.F.L.

Follow my son's journey as he travels Europe on this thread.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or on FB https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyBrooksArt/ . He has been posting more on the Art page than his Sketchy Travels page that he started when he left on this trip.

Expert

User Info Menu

The data they have collected from examining scat and remains of coyotes says otherwise.

Is it possible the some coyotes eat lots of cats or fawns? Of course. However, the known data suggests that these are rare occurrences.

User Info Menu

One of the reasons for their howling at night is roll call. If they don't get the responses they are used to, it triggers the females to create larger litters. Another thing, wolves used to keep the coyote population in check. We messed that up by decimating their population.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AtTheMurph View Post
    The data they have collected from examining scat and remains of coyotes says otherwise.

Is it possible the some coyotes eat lots of cats or fawns? Of course. However, the known data suggests that these are rare occurrences.

Over 20 fawns in 30 days doesn't seem very random or rare. I've heard similar stories from others in our area.
    L.F.F.L.

Follow my son's journey as he travels Europe on this thread.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or on FB https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyBrooksArt/ . He has been posting more on the Art page than his Sketchy Travels page that he started when he left on this trip.

User Info Menu

I am with Mom on this one.
    Had a beagle eaten out of my front yard a few years ago.
    Shave seen coyotes with fawns in their mouths walking across crop fields.
    i have seen them mousing as well.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out to get you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast