• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Son of a close friend was hunting with a crossbow this morning on some private land near Culver. He took a shot at a doe from about 30 yds, he was on the ground behind a big tree. He said he knew there were a couple other does with it but he was focused on the one he shot at. He said he watched it run about 30 or 40 yards and drop. He went back to his truck to get his ATV and he came back and put his doe on the cart after dressing it out. He was making a U-turn on the ATV to head back out when he noticed the other doe laying on the ground. Shot through the chest cavity. He thinks the other doe was 15 to 20 yds behind the one he shot at but wasn't sure. I’m not making excuses for him, but he just started hunting with a crossbow this year and I think this gave him a greater appreciation for the power behind that crossbow. He had purchased the bundle license so he was covered for tags. More meat in the freezer!

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That's not an uncommon occurrence with hard cast bullets on big game...not so sure about crossbows though; apparently not. :rockwoot:a 2fer!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Glad he recovered the second deer. Do you know if he was using fixed blade or mechanical broad heads? Did he look for or find the arrow?

He was using Spitfires (mechanical).
    Did not find the bolt. He was going to go back and search. I'm thinking they’re harder to find if you’re ground hunting for the same reason he had the double kill, the arrow flies much further and flatter instead of hitting the ground near the deer as in a shot from a tree stand. Plus he wasn't using a lighted knock, could be tough to find.

Last edited:

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    That's incredible! Glad he spotted the second as well as it sounds like he almost missed seeing it. Would have been a damn shame to give the dirty dogs a free meal.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That's incredible! Glad he spotted the second as well as it sounds like he almost missed seeing it. Would have been a damn shame to give the dirty dogs a free meal.

He had no idea he had hit the second deer until he started leaving and spotted it several yards off in a different direction. He said he was a taken aback when he realized what had just happened. You’re right, he almost missed it.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Glad he recovered the second deer. Do you know if he was using fixed blade or mechanical broad heads? Did he look for or find the arrow?

I had all but the identical experience on my first time out crossbow hunting, but mine were both button-bucks.
    I saw both, at different times, but wasn't sure it wasn't the same deer.
    I was also on the ground, tucked beside an old barn, and my shot was all of about 20 yards.

I watched the bolt hit home, and in a good spot, so I thought I would give it a few minutes before I went looking.
    In that time my brother showed up.
    I pointed out which direction I watched the deer run and the brother took off in that direction.
    I decided to follow the blood trail.

Shortly after beginning the search, my brother yelled that he had found it.
    I cancelled my blood trail hunt and went to where my brother was.
    I dressed and dragged the deer back to the barn and told my brother I was going to look for my bolt.

I headed back to where I shot and got a good bearing on the direction.
    I went about 40 yards and there is another deer!
    Fresh kill, and with an arrow.
    After loading the second I went and found my bolt.

It was a fixed head, but was moving at 340fps.
    I pulled it out of a tree about 60 yards from where I shot.
    It was a good 6 feet off the ground, and had at LEAST 1/4" of the broadhead buried in the tree.

I too had purchased a license bundle, so was covered there, but I did gain a new appreciation for what a crossbow will do.

Top Bottom