• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    My family and I have decided we are tired of staying at home and working all the time. We usually go camping a few times a year but this year we want to go a lot more. Since my boys are a little older I would like to hike at places like red river gorge and we are planning a week trip to the Great Smokey Mountains. My dad showed me that basic about how to read a map and a compass but we never went to the mountains or anywhere with more than a few hundred acres. I would like to have a GPS as a backup plan. I would like to be able to track our trip and make sure we can get back to the truck. What do you use? What are you likes and dislikes about your system?

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.
    I prefer Garmin over any other brand. Had Garmins since 2000 and never any issues. I have an old Vista HCx as and it has performed well. I currently use the fenix 5x wrist watch. Using Basecamp, maps are easily downloaded and placed on the device.

For RRG, go to Outage GIS and look at the maps. Probably the best for RRG.

https://www.outragegis.com/trails/shop/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I second the Garmin eTrex units. I have had a couple. You may need to buy additional maps and install them to the unit. Always carry a real map and compass as back up along with spare batteries.

utahskies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    NWI
    Garmin Montana 680t or the inreach gps. Aid workers use inreach. Also a satellite phone you can rent by the week if you really get off the beaten path

Have fun

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Though I use a map and a compass when I'm in the Boundary Waters, this last trip my son brought his phone with a GPS app. We used it in conjunction with the map and it worked pretty well.

There was a few times when it helped us orientate a little better and it confirmed we were on course when using the map.

I'm old, so I still would want a map and compass with me, but gps is a great tool.

If you are interested, I can ask him which app it is.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I also use Garmin, although I use a wearable instead of a handheld. I've even used it to save my parking space at the airport. Along with a cell phone photo of the nearest row/section sign I don't have to worry about finding my truck again upon return if I forgot where in the lot it was.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    GPS units have come a really long way. The best thing about the Garmin Inreach mini is that when it came out the full sized Garmin InReach went down in price by a hundred bucks and that's when I jumped on it.

My first handheld GPS unit was bought in Kuwait in '03. The Garmin InReach has the ability to send a custom typed text message or some generic pretyped text messages. In '17 I went kayaking and backpacking on the Isle Royale in Mi. We were gone for 10 days and there was no cell signal which drove my wife crazy. My buddy had a GPS with him, but we didn't really use it much that I remember. Kayaking in open waters I felt it was easier to use a map in a water proof case taped to the top of the kayak because of all the small islands it was easier to navigate by landmarks.

The InReach allows me to stay in contact and check in daily and momma know that I'm fine and gives her peace of mind. Don't underestimate the power of that because it'll help you go on your next trip. In '18 I was on a hill in Denali Alaska and we had a nasty, nasty storm come While under shelter I was able to text a friend back home and give our EXACT position where he could pull up a radar and provide feedback with a weather forecast. I kept my GPS turned off all the time unless I wanted to mark a particular point, check in over lunch, or check in at basecamp for the night. I do it that way to save battery life, and I keep the unit protected in my pack or on my body when the pack is off.

In most other circumstances, most trails or adventures aren't that far off of cell phone signal and being able to use google maps is pretty sweet if a trail gets thin and easy to miss. I don't think people "need" a GPS for most cases, but if you're thinking about one you may as well be able to get one that'll actually communicate. The InReach does have a subscription based service for the texting, but it's pretty simple and easy to turn on and off. While on the website to get the subscription turned on or shut off you can look at some incredibly detailed maps of the area you intend to be in. I can't recommend that unit enough.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    GPS units have come a really long way. The best thing about the Garmin Inreach mini is that when it came out the full sized Garmin InReach went down in price by a hundred bucks and that's when I jumped on it.

My first handheld GPS unit was bought in Kuwait in '03. The Garmin InReach has the ability to send a custom typed text message or some generic pretyped text messages. In '17 I went kayaking and backpacking on the Isle Royale in Mi. We were gone for 10 days and there was no cell signal which drove my wife crazy. My buddy had a GPS with him, but we didn't really use it much that I remember. Kayaking in open waters I felt it was easier to use a map in a water proof case taped to the top of the kayak because of all the small islands it was easier to navigate by landmarks.

The InReach allows me to stay in contact and check in daily and momma know that I'm fine and gives her peace of mind. Don't underestimate the power of that because it'll help you go on your next trip. In '18 I was on a hill in Denali Alaska and we had a nasty, nasty storm come While under shelter I was able to text a friend back home and give our EXACT position where he could pull up a radar and provide feedback with a weather forecast. I kept my GPS turned off all the time unless I wanted to mark a particular point, check in over lunch, or check in at basecamp for the night. I do it that way to save battery life, and I keep the unit protected in my pack or on my body when the pack is off.

In most other circumstances, most trails or adventures aren't that far off of cell phone signal and being able to use google maps is pretty sweet if a trail gets thin and easy to miss. I don't think people "need" a GPS for most cases, but if you're thinking about one you may as well be able to get one that'll actually communicate. The InReach does have a subscription based service for the texting, but it's pretty simple and easy to turn on and off. While on the website to get the subscription turned on or shut off you can look at some incredibly detailed maps of the area you intend to be in. I can't recommend that unit enough.

That's a good idea. We have used a Spot in the past to send a daily message that we are fine. Where we go, there is no cell phone service for probably 40 miles or better. Our wives felt better knowing each day we were still alive.

My did a 10 day solo trip when he got out of high school. That was when we got the Spot. I could follow his "breadcrumbs" each day. And since I was familiar with the campsites he was hitting, it was kinda cool.

Plus, if we got in trouble, it had an "emergency" button which went to S&R.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That's a good idea. We have used a Spot in the past to send a daily message that we are fine. Where we go, there is no cell phone service for probably 40 miles or better. Our wives felt better knowing each day we were still alive.

My did a 10 day solo trip when he got out of high school. That was when we got the Spot. I could follow his "breadcrumbs" each day. And since I was familiar with the campsites he was hitting, it was kinda cool.

Plus, if we got in trouble, it had an "emergency" button which went to S&R.

The InReach has a similar "emergency" button. For me the only downside to such a device like that is just purely the cost. Otherwise that thing was outstanding. I could pull up a generic text saying "having lunch here", and it'd send a text message to everyone's wives back home and there'd be a link on the text that they could click on and it'd pull up a pin point map of exactly where we were. My wife was not happy being out of contact for 10 days, and I doubt she'd have been ok with Alaska had it not been for that gps unit. Even if all it does is give her some peace of mind, it helps the next trip happen.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Thanks everyone for the information. I will definitely have maps but I also don't want to be the person on TV that is causing a park wide man hunt. I fell buying a GPS is like paying my insurance bill every month. I have never used it but one of these days I might.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think you're on the right track. A GPS only strengthens you're ability to have a good safe experience and make it home safely and on time. I still think there's a place for a paper map and compass and when I go to the wilderness I still take a map and compass.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    When I went elk hunting 7 years ago, I bought a Bushnell Backtrack GPS. It gave me the ability to record three locations. I used one for camp, one for where I parked the vehicle that day and one for where I got game. I figured it wasn't important to track my trek for the day. Just which direction to head to get back to any one of those points. Worked well for me the first day. After that I had a good grasp on where I was and where I needed to go and didn't really need to rely on it much.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I remember those backtrackers. I loved the concept of them trying to keep it all simple and light. The over complicated devices really turn me away and I had a heck of a time talking myself into the InReach, but that one is actually not all that bad.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Last spring I was kayaking in the Everglades/10,000 Islands area. I prepared for my trip for several months. I had 4 satellite photos printed, laminated, and annotated with headings, distances, and expected paddle times. I had a TopSpot nautical chart of my itinerary, a compass reset for the Everglades declination, and a marine radio. And a Garmin eTrex20 hanging around my neck with waypoints set on my route. I downloaded my itinerary for free and used Base Camp to plot the changes in headings (my waypoints). On a 12 mile trip I was confused for about 5 minutes.

Now the downside -- get the GPS ASAP! I fiddled with it for many months before I could figure out exactly what it could do. There is no owner's manual exactly, but there is online help which might be beneficial. I watched videos until I was blue in the face. It is NOT an intuitive device, nor is it user friendly. It's a powerful device and I was finally able to figure out the 10% of it that I needed.

Once I was familiar with the GPS, I gave it a test run at McCormick's Creek. I downloaded a free map and set waypoints. At one point I was confused about whether to continue on my path or go down the stairs. I finally decided to continue on the path, took ONE more step, and the off course alarm went off. Yeah, it's that accurate.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One advantage of the wearable if you're out by yourself is the ability send for help automatically. Note this only works if you have cell phone coverage. In short, if you were to fall and become disabled the watch will detect it and send for help to a preselected emergency contact along with your GPS coordinates. I use "live track" when I'm out and my wife can see exactly where I am at any given time. As others have mentioned, that spousal reassurance is helpful in getting to do things solo.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-8F7F297D-23C5-4256-8939-16A4D04408C1.html

[FONT=&quot]When an incident is detected by your fēnix® 5/5S/5X Plus device with GPS enabled, the Garmin Connect™ app can send an automated text message and email with your name and GPS location to your emergency contacts. A message appears indicating your contacts will be informed after 30 seconds have elapsed. You can select Cancel before the countdown is complete to cancel the message.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One advantage of the wearable if you're out by yourself is the ability send for help automatically. Note this only works if you have cell phone coverage. In short, if you were to fall and become disabled the watch will detect it and send for help to a preselected emergency contact along with your GPS coordinates. I use "live track" when I'm out and my wife can see exactly where I am at any given time. As others have mentioned, that spousal reassurance is helpful in getting to do things solo.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-8F7F297D-23C5-4256-8939-16A4D04408C1.html

[FONT=&amp]When an incident is detected by your fēnix® 5/5S/5X Plus device with GPS enabled, the Garmin Connect™ app can send an automated text message and email with your name and GPS location to your emergency contacts. A message appears indicating your contacts will be informed after 30 seconds have elapsed. You can select Cancel before the countdown is complete to cancel the message.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

So now they include cellular modems in these devices?

Which makes me wonder with all this 5G stuff - do they still have a phone number, or can you get cellular data service without a cellular phone number?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So now they include cellular modems in these devices?

Which makes me wonder with all this 5G stuff - do they still have a phone number, or can you get cellular data service without a cellular phone number?

The wearables typically pair with your phone for cell service, but some devices do have cell connectivity.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I recommend checking out the GPS Review forum and the GPS Passion forum. There is detailed info and discussions on both. Back when I was responsible for maintaining a dozen GPS units I found lots of help in those forums.

Top Bottom