• ...and so much more!
  • Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Just returned from a two day hog hunting trip in Centerville, which is about 2 hours southeast of Dallas at Tall Pines Exotics. I had researched several properties and after running into issues with availability at Langley Ranch, decided to give Tall Pines a try. Initial phone call and subsequent texts were with Keith, the son of the property owner. His dad, Larry, met us when we arrived Monday afternoon around 2pm. He was very welcoming and gave us a tour of the ranch house and immediate property. Since there was only my son Andrew and myself, he had us stay in the spare bedroom of the main house. There is also a bunk house for larger parties. Larry offered us a beer and sat and chatted with us for a good two hours.

Around 4pm he drove us out to our respective stands which overlook timed corn feeders. Andrew took the first stand which was an small enclosed hut with a window and comfortable office chair that overlook a feeder about 50 yards away. I got the old school bus, which had setups for 3 or more hunters if guys wanted to stay together. My feeder was about 75 yards downrange. The feeders were set to go off right at 5pm or so and within a half hour I heard Andrew shoot with the 30/30 he had taken. I however did not see any hogs until close to dark. Then about a half dozen of so started milling about and it was just a matter of picking the best shot of the bunch. They all looked similar in size in the fading light. I ended up shooting a decent size boar with my newly built .350 Legend. I hit him in the shoulder and he went straight down. Later when cleaning we saw that the bullet probably broke both shoulders and hit both lungs before exiting.

Larry came along and picked us up with the hogs and we spent the next hour watching him expertly quarter both of them. I had brought a large Cabelas (100 can) Polar Cap cooler, similar to a Yeti, and several bags of ice. As Larry pitched the hog parts into the cooler, we packed it with layers of ice. The one cooler held both hogs which ended up being 95 and 105 lbs before dressed. I did not get home until Saturday, so daily I would drain the water/blood from the cooler and add ice a couple times. I'll give a plug for the Cabelas cooler - heavy, but very nice quality and ice retention.

After cleanup, Larry made us a great T-bone/baked potato/red bean/black eyed pea dinner (both breakfast and dinner were included). Andrew and I sat out on his front porch and enjoyed a bourbon and celebratory cigar. Larry fixed sausage/eggs and biscuits for breakfast.

Overall it was a great hunt and a good way to spend some quality time with my son. I highly recommend his property. The final total for both of us including lodging, hogs, cleaning and tip was right around $500.

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg IMG_6685.jpg

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Good times making good memories...… congrats!

I was a bit north of you in Waxahachie this past fall. We got a few, but the meat was not good.... locals blame it on the diet in the area. Hope yours is.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Looks like a blast! And watch out, hog hunting is addictive!

Hopefully your pork is good. All the pork we have brought back from Georgia has been excellent!

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Tenderloins on the grill last night were excellent! A very intense flavor, some might describe as wild or a bit gamey, but I liked it.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    There is virtually nothing better on God’s Green Earth than a Father-Son hunt and spending that time together. I’ve done pig hunts with my son in Tennessee and those hunts are moments in time that you relive in your mind til your time is up. Bravo and Congratulations!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    price is actually not as much as I thought.
    I went hog hunting in FL. Found an outfitter about 40 min away from the AirBNB we were at. Wound up spending I think 800 for two hogs and shipping to get the meat home. We flew in for a Legoland vacation for my 4 YO. The hog hunt was a just because we were so close thing.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Follow-up: Smoked two shoulders and some ribs last weekend. Excellent flavor, although the ribs on those small hogs were thin on meat compared to a domestic baby back.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I do t mean to revive a dress thread. But I just wanted to say bc if this thread my friends and I will be heading down there in Feb. Already have our dates booked. I even built two rifles for the trip. We are all very excited.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I missed the dress thread, but wanted to wish you and yours a good time!

Popping hogs with friends is a good time.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    What is a "dress thread"?

Where did you guys go to find an outfitter or guide? How did you vet them?

I live in south central Kentucky now after moving from Hancock co. in 2018. So the southeastern states are closer than say east Texas.

Thanks,
    Dave

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

I live in south central Kentucky now after moving from Hancock co. in 2018. So the southeastern states are closer than say east Texas.

Thanks,
    Dave

FMJ misspelled “dead” and BigRed made a joke about it.
    I assume you’ve tried googling the subject. I have and was also under the impression prices would be much higher. Was also under the impression TN hunts were all behind fences and don’t think that sounds like much fun but would love to to hear otherwise.

FMJ let us know how the trip goes.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I suck, I'm not going to edit it so my misspelling shall live with the purpose of extending my shame lol.

I'll be sure to fire up my own thread with my results

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Decatur
    I hunted with Langley's a couple years ago and will definitely vouch for them. 5 of us went down and hunted for 2 days, shot 8 pigs between us. Had a lot of fun.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.

Thanks,
    Dave

Kind of answered my own question. Guidefitter.com is a collect of guides, outfitters and hunting ranches that can be filtered by state and game.

Top Bottom