• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    There is a boat on Facebook Marketplace that interests me that is more than fairly priced. However, the seller states he bought the boat at an auction and he doesn’t have a title. He said he would provide a bill sale. How difficult is it to obtain a title through the BMV ? I’ve heard some very negative comments from a friend re: the process. I realize I can call the BMV and inquire but my experience of their description of how easy things are doesn’t always play out in the process. Wondering if anyone has gone through this process ? I assume the seller doesn’t have a trailer title either and I would have to go through the same process for it as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's not hard, the BMV will have paperwork that attaches to the bill of sale. You will need to fill that out and it will include a LEO sign off of inspection that says the boat isn't stolen. That all goes back to the BMV and then they start to issue you a title. That's how it was 20 years ago, and I would imagine it's still the same. I had to get a title for a boat I bought in Ohio where they didn't have titles for them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's not hard, the BMV will have paperwork that attaches to the bill of sale. You will need to fill that out and it will include a LEO sign off of inspection that says the boat isn't stolen. That all goes back to the BMV and then they start to issue you a title. That's how it was 20 years ago, and I would imagine it's still the same. I had to get a title for a boat I bought in Ohio where they didn't have titles for them.

Don't know if boats are treated like vehicles or not, but this is the process my mother went through when she found an abandoned motorcycle on her rental property.
    It was easy enough to obtain the title. BUT, she was told she had to wait 6 months before applying for an abandoned title.
    If you have a bill of sale I would imagine things might go quicker.

YMMV

Cattman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Franklin
    I did this last year, involves several trips to BMV. it'll cost you around $100 in fees for title and registration for a 10' non motorized bass tracker.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It's a pain. You will need registered letter sent to the last person that had it titled, that letter needs to be returned unopened, and an affidavit has to be completed, as well the LEO vin check. All depends on your exact situation.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    If it's not been titled before you're in a better spot. At that point you'll need a packet of paperwork from the BMV, I think you can just download it, an LEO to check it for being stolen and some $$. If it has been titled, and the person you're buying it from is not that person you could end up hosed. I'd walk from that. I'd get the VIN and see if the BMV can tell you if it's been titled before and to whom.

Top Bottom