• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The DNR will be requesting approval to come back to the Commission with a rule proposal thatwould make these changes.

https://www.in.gov/nrc/2354.htm

Breech loading “muzzleloaders”

https://www.in.gov/nrc/files/item_6_nrc_March_2020.pdf

Citizen Petition: Allow a muzzleloader to be used thatallows the powder in a muzzleloader to be loaded from the breech end;Administrative Cause No. 20-FW-021 DNR reviewed the citizen’s petitionpertaining to the loading of muzzleloaders with a new option available thatallows both the powder and the primer to be loaded from the breech end of amuzzleloader. Most muzzleloaders on the market currently require that thebullet/sabot and the powder be manually loaded through the muzzle, and theprimer is loaded from the breech end. However, new technology has beendeveloped with a system that allows both the powder and primer to be safelyloaded from the breech end, while the bullet is loaded from the muzzle. Thisallows the powder to stay dry, as well as help ensure a consistent and reliablesource of powder. This new option, called the FireStick™ system, still onlyallows one bullet/sabot to be fired at one time, and the powder, primer, andbullet must be reloaded to fire another shot. This proposed change would notchange the season when muzzleloaders could be used, but would allow additionalmuzzleloaders to be used during the firearms and muzzleloader seasons, ascurrently set forth in administrative code in 312 IAC 9-3-4. Muzzleloaders withthis new system would also not increase the range that many other fifty (50)caliber in-line muzzleloaders are currently capable of shooting already inIndiana. The DNR supports the request to allow this change in the rulegoverning muzzleloaders that can be used for deer hunting and requests approvalto come back to the Commission with a rule proposal that would make this changein 312 IAC 9-3-3 to remove the sentence that a muzzleloading gun be capable ofbeing loaded only from the muzzle, including the powder

.410 for turkey hunting

https://www.in.gov/nrc/files/item_5_nrc_March_2020.pdf

Citizen Petition: Allow the use of 28 gauge and .410 shotgunfor wild turkey hunting; Administrative Cause No. 18-058D DNR staff reviewedthe citizen’s petition pertaining to shot and gauge restrictions for shotgunsfor wild turkey hunting, i.e., to allow the use of 28 gauge and .410 gaugeshotguns. The DNR has reviewed this request and determined that the .410 gaugeand 28 gauge shotguns would be efficient in killing a turkey at up to 40 yardsand could be added to the equipment allowed to take a wild turkey as long asthe current shot size is maintained in 312 IAC 9-4-11. There would likely notbe an increased risk for human-related shooting accidents and non-target turkeycrippling/kills, particularly beyond 40 yards. The shot size in the currentrule language of size 4, 5, 6, 7, or 7 ½ would still apply. Kentucky andMichigan allow these shotguns with shot no larger than No. 4. Ohio allows 10gauge or smaller shotguns using shot (no size required), while Illinois doesnot allow the .410 or 28 gauge to be used for turkey hunting. In conclusion,the DNR supports the request to allow the 28 gauge and .410 for wild turkeyhunting and requests approval to come back to the Commission with a ruleproposal that would make this change in 312 IAC 9-4-11 to allow their use.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Breech loading muzzleloader, crossbows in archery season, 10 deer limit (with doe tags, etc) - why doesn’t the DNR just sell one license for any and all weapons with one season for buck/doe and be done with it. Maybe just charge a couple of hundred bucks !

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I hate hunting with a crossbow but I have no choice at this point. If I couldn't hunt the first few weeks of November I'd give up deer hunting. I've always been in it for the challenge and I love watching lots of deer pass by unaware of my presence. I apply the same limits to my hunting with a crossbow that I did with my regular bow so I don't feel I've attained any unfair advantage. I've yet to kill more than one deer per year as I value the resource more than saving money at the grocery.

Everyone hunts differently and has different priorities. I don't see these changes damaging the resources, maybe I'm missing something?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The proposed changes seem reasonable to me. It'll let people use the new equipment that they want, but really won't change the end result. I also can't see anything detrimental from the changes, so why not?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It's not a breech loading muzzleloader, the bullet is still loaded from the muzzle the same as any other muzzleloader.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I noticed in that deer survey that I got there were a variety of new gadgets for hunting, I had never heard of an "air bow" or a breech loading muzzle loader.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Me thinks a .410 be a little on the small side for the gobbler?

Sorry for the edit: Got me thinking DNR feels they are plenty big for deer though....I will site back down and shut up.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The breech loading "muzzleloader". I don't see it as a true muzzleloader, but since it takes certain loading components that must be used and the prices are $600 to $1200 I don't see this as a big seller.

The .410s shooting TSS shells are quite Tom Turkey deadly to 40+ yards. It will help to recruit kids.

The Deer Hunter Survey was interesting.

I have no problems with the airBOW (which is really an air GUN that shoots arrows) or the REAL air guns in the firearm season. I doubt that either one would get much use there. The "Slingbow" for deer? Forget it.. It is basically a Wrist Rocket that shoots arrows. Even the manufacturer says its "for small game".

Different deer hunting tools doesn't bother me as a dead deer is a dead deer and a full freezer is a full freezer.

What I am flat out against is shortening any season to make way for these new deer hunting tools.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was gonna say, the same foolish reasoning for allowing the .410 slug for deer.

.410 may well be deadly in a seasoned shooter's hands, but quit changing the rules so that dangerously young and inexperienced kids can shoot AT game.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The breech loading "muzzleloader". I don't see it as a true muzzleloader, but since it takes certain loading components that must be used and the prices are $600 to $1200 I don't see this as a big seller.

The .410s shooting TSS shells are quite Tom Turkey deadly to 40+ yards. It will help to recruit kids.

The new muzzleloader everyone is so concerned about doesn't offer any real, functional advantage that I can see. The bullet, which is the slowest part of loading a muzzleloader still has to be loaded from the muzzle, offering no advantage in this system. As mentioned the guns and special components are expensive. It is probably somewhat safer since you can load the powder after the bullet and thus don't have to put your hand over a loaded barrel at any point. Being able to easily change the powder load after hunting in wet conditions is an advantage I suppose but then again the system looks a lot less impervious to moisture than a lot of current inlines.

I wonder how many people will pay the higher expense of performance .410 loads instead of just using the cheapest 7.5 shot they can find.

Top Bottom