• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I thought there were some recent threads but my search skills must not be up to the task. I am looking to get a metal detector. More about finding ferrous metal buried in the yard than treasure hunting. Being able to find under water would be a great bonus. Is there a price point where they get a lot better? I don't want to buy a piece of junk or something way beyond my needs. Brand and model recommendations are most welcome

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I dabbled in detecting a little bit. Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector is my suggestion for any adult that wants to have fun and have a detector that will slap down the cheap junk detectors. I had 2 of these over the years. Went head to head with a rental unit and was amazed. Price will be around $500 or $600 new with a pin pointer, digger, and head phones. Sturdy. Water proof. Ground balance. Descriminates well. I have nothing bad to say about one of them. Garret's customer service is incredible. I lost an ear pad out of warrantee, they sent me two of them free.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Garrett is THE name in metal detectors and there is a reason why. You could buy 2-3 of the others over the years looking for what 1 Garrett can do for you now.

Detecting is a bug and can hit you as hard as gun collecting.

If you aren't sure about detecting, there are several budget ones out there. Get one of those and when/if the time comes to get another give it to your wife and buy a Garrett. They should be 700-800 by then...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I just want to clarify I am not looking for another hobby I want to locate some buried objects in my yard about 6 to 18 inches underground.

swamptick

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Rochester
    I have been metal detecting for many years so I have some advice, I own an expensive detector from Minelab and it has been awesome for me but for anyone just starting out any of the lower priced name brands will do just fine for you. Minelab, Garrett, Fisher,
    and a few others. If you start with a cheaper model and decide you really enjoy it you can always upgrade later.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I use a bounty hunter tracker 4. Not the best but it tells me if theres something under the ground. Definitely get a pin pointer. Worth its weight in gold.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I picked up a Fisher F22 when I put in a new finger system. Put a bag of spent brass on top of my db boxes about 2' down and it picks them up no problem. Have found quite a few interesting things in my back yard, most interesting was a sight turret off a 57 Chevy hood about 3' deep. It wouldve been cool to find the whole car but thats the way it goes. For the price its a good beginner model imo.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have a cheap fold down model from Meijer or somewhere to find lost Christmas steakdowns in my yard.
    At one time, I had an expensive one and the kids had $10 ones from Toys Are Us. Theirs did a better job.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I thought there were some recent threads but my search skills must not be up to the task. I am looking to get a metal detector. More about finding ferrous metal buried in the yard than treasure hunting. Being able to find under water would be a great bonus. Is there a price point where they get a lot better? I don't want to buy a piece of junk or something way beyond my needs. Brand and model recommendations are most welcome

The ones mentioned above will do what you need...but they're over kill. They have features that will serve no purpose for you...in other words, your going to pay for "useless" features.
    Get yourself a bare bones detector that can be manually ground balanced, and a large coil. I recommend a Tesoro. Basic, nothing real fancy, no digital read outs...just sound. I own a Tesoro Tejon,Cibola and Vaquaro. For your purposes I recommend the Tesoro Vaquaro with a 12x10" elliptical coil. Properly ground balanced, set in all all metal mode with the larger coil will work great for find pipes and cables up to a couple feet....maybe more depending of a few variables.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The metal detecting laws for Indiana, is there a definitive place to look?
    Doing searches on the state interseine sites is gobbledeegook.

Top Bottom