• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My boat is gassed up and ready to go to the lake! I'm not going today because it is just too windy, but certainly this week I'll drop it into Monroe, Cataract, or Racoon and wet a few lines.

I took my 8 yo boy over to the Danville Conservation Club last week on a warm evening and he got the first fish of the season among our family. It was a surprisingly aggressive little bass that hit a green Beetlespin. He was ecstatic and it got us all in the mood for the season to begin!

Anyone else catch anything so far this year? I saw some boats on Racoon with temps in the low 40s, so I'm curious if anyone is catching anything yet.

Post up pics and stories here! (Unless this is a dupe and I didn't realize it.)

Here's the big guy with his ugly but proud old Dad!

f4cqeiz.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    :popcorn:
    That's what I'm talking about! Great catch to the young man.

Caught a couple big uns, lost 4 at the flip.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    :popcorn:
    That's what I'm talking about! Great catch to the young man.

Caught a couple big uns, lost 4 at the flip.

He says thanks!

Just took a long walk. Man, it's nice out except for that wind. As soon as that dies down in the next day or two, we're going to try and get on the water and see what we can do.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I pulled a couple nice rainbows out this afternoon. The largest measured just under 14". The wind was a little chilly but worth it, they are going to be delicious!

Nice! Where did you catch them?

I was able to get the boat out for a shakedown cruise at Cataract (Caggles Mill) yesterday. The water there is WAAAAY high, and muddy upstream. In the main body of the lake, however, it wasn't so muddy. We did a little fishing in a cover near the dam with some small beetlespins, but the surface temp was only 49 degrees, so they just watched them go by.

That little 40 hp ETec is the nicest outboard I've owned. It takes 2 minutes to winterize it in the fall and it starts in the spring like it was already warmed up. I hadn't topped off the oil tank in over a year, so when I popped the cowling, I was surprised to see the oil tank was barely an inch below full. Besides that, it hardly uses any gas. She's ready for the season to begin!

I'll probably get onto Raccoon Lake this Thursday or Friday. A friend told me it is only 4 feet shy of summer pool after the big rains we just had. Maybe I can get some white bass to bite! I've done well slow trolling for them with Fat Raps in the fall when air temps are similar, although water temps were probably a bit warmer.

nr486hV.jpg

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    Got the first line wet last Friday, unfortunately no pics but already planning to get back out this weekend with my son.
    Good looking fish tho!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Four 7"+ bluegills on Bitsy Minnows yesterday...they're moving into shallower water as it warms.

Of course, cold front coming tonight is gonna drop temps 20+ degrees...

bluegill.jpg

Haven't had much luck with largemouth so far this spring...caught a couple on weightless 4" red watermelon Yum! Dingers and one on a Rattlin' Rapala.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Idk what I'm doing. In the past 2 trips, i have caught 1, 2 3/4lb bass. The thing is i have missed 6 or 7 bigger bass. When i go to set the hook on a swim jig, i can't seem to get a good set. Any tips?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a little Lund I bought off of a member here but I haven't had time to get it out this year. If I had a decent spot close by for crappie I'd probably make time but I don't have a clue where to find any.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I've got a little Lund I bought off of a member here but I haven't had time to get it out this year. If I had a decent spot close by for crappie I'd probably make time but I don't have a clue where to find any.

morse reservoir is in your backyard?

plenty of black & white crappie

Top Bottom