• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    My Hoosier hiking groups has run into a few puma/cougar....I hike a lot alone....what to do if I come across one?

Take a photo of it. They are much more scared of you than you are of them. Unless they are sick or rabid, they won’t come anywhere near you, but if they do, make yourself look as BIG and MENACING and LOUD. I hike in areas with confirmed sightings, and I don't worry about safety, BUT I am always hoping for a good photo. Besides, this is a firearms forum, so always carry a firearm while hiking. The firearm would more likely be used against “Southern Comfort” type wild animals than anything else.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Unless you're small of stature, chances are quite good that you'll be just fine. Unless the cat is literally starving and willing to attempt taking large and well-fed prey.

In Tiger Country (not some stupid show on Netflix?) - they've taken to wearing hats with eyes on the back of them. Cats are ambush hunters. They generally won't pounce if their quarry is looking at them.

If you're concerned, get a bell for a hiking stick. Make noise. Hike with someone much smaller and slower.

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    I was camping at Big Bend National Park a few years ago. We met a young gal that was really stressed. She was camping with some friends and could not sleep in her tent because bugs were bothering her. So she slept in her car. In the morning there were big cat tracks covering her car’s hood, roof and windshield. We saw the car. It was covered with muddy prints. If only we had been smart enough to take some pictures. Oh, she slept right through the whole event.

Top Bottom