Things still available near Hoosier National Forest???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    So....with a lot of things shut down due to all the virus stuff, my family has to time to go camping right now. The forecast has dramatically improved for next week and we are getting the camper out of storage and un-winterized.

We love to camp at Sycamore Springs near English Indiana. It is a family oriented park that has camping and is privately owned. You can camp for a week with full hookups for $105 a week right now since it is their "off season" time.

In the past if we left the park, we would go to activities in Kentucky like Louisville, Mammoth Cave, ect.

We thought about spending more time around the Hoosier National Forest. But most things I can find a website for are listed as closed. There are a couple of caves, but they booth seem to be closed. I guess the trails at the National Forest are still open, but pretty much everything else is closed in the park itself as well.

We are hoping to find something besides hiking that we can still do. My teenage son is up for hiking, but we are not sure we want to be hiking every single day. I don't know if anyone is still open and offering horse back rides, 4 wheeler trails, canoes or kayaks, or something similar. We are still planning on board games, card games, books...ect.

Does the INGO brain trust know of any activities my family could still do during this.......weird time?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, all the things you mention are right in my backyard but I haven't been out to see what is open or not.

Fishing at Patoka is always a possibility. Squire Boone Caverns and Indiana Caves in Corydon and Marengo Cave are all in spitting distance but I don't know when they will be giving tours.

Further west on 64 there is a place called 'Wilstem's', it is pricey but they have horses and side by side trails.

If you haven't taken the kids to see the Hotel in West Baden that is a cheap outing. Al Capone would stay there. I know, you say, "really?" But once you have seen it you will understand.

French Lick has a winery that is da bomb. Free wine tasting and if you like a sweet red table wine bring a truck.

That is all i can think of off the top of my head...

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Well, all the things you mention are right in my backyard but I haven't been out to see what is open or not.

Fishing at Patoka is always a possibility. Squire Boone Caverns and Indiana Caves in Corydon and Marengo Cave are all in spitting distance but I don't know when they will be giving tours.

Further west on 64 there is a place called 'Wilstem's', it is pricey but they have horses and side by side trails.

If you haven't taken the kids to see the Hotel in West Baden that is a cheap outing. Al Capone would stay there. I know, you say, "really?" But once you have seen it you will understand.

French Lick has a winery that is da bomb. Free wine tasting and if you like a sweet red table wine bring a truck.

That is all i can think of off the top of my head...

Thanks for the info.

Never really got to use any of those ideas. We made it to the campground and setup on Sunday. Then on Monday the governor shut down all the campgrounds effective on Tuesday. So we spend Tuesday tearing back down.

Everyone was really disappointed. So I guess we will be heading out again this fall.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Sooo....my OP was in April. In April our camping trip was cut really short. We were at the campground 1 day when the state shut down all campgrounds and we were forced to leave the next day.

Our reschedule date was setup for this Friday. It will be a Father / Son camping trip this time.

We are hoping to find something besides hiking that we can still do. My son is up for hiking, but we are not sure we want to be hiking every single day.

We were hoping to find someone offering horse back rides or 4 wheeler trails or canoes / kayaks or something similar. I do know about a couple of caves in the area. I am hoping one of them is still open. We are still planning on board games, card games, books...ect.

Does anyone know of fun things to do near the Hoosier National Forest / English, IN area?

Top Bottom