Anyone hunt SW Owen Co? Coal City area or south of?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My hunting partner is in the final stages of purchasing a chunk of property in SW Owen County. Just curious if we have any members who hunt that area. Looking for what we can possibly expect as far as turkey population, buck genetics, etc..

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I used to hunt just outside of Coal City. Never turkey, but saw a LOT. Whitetail are numerous and HEALTHY. Trophy bucks are almost common, I just didn’t get one.(ok maybe not TROPHY, TROPHY, but large nonetheless). Just be careful, the Exotic Feline Rescue lost a lioness a couple years back, she hasn’t been found?;)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That is where my family landed when they moved to Indiana in the early 1860's.

I think the turkeys must have webbed feet because when it rains the whole county seems to flood.

Lots of long shots possible on deer. Healthy 'corn fed' stock.

I even donated a half of beef to the feline rescue! Never stand behind a Tiger. If they like you they will want to mark you by spraying you with their urine. It smells like burnt popcorn...

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I hunt in Greene Co. south of Coal City. Family property there. Grandpa bought it off Peabody back in the '60s. I have hunted some property in the southern part of Owen Co before as I have a friend who's family farms in the area. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the deer herd in the area. Turkeys are usually plentiful. Bobcats are more and more common in the area now too.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    There's also an elk farm just south of the Greene-Owen line on Highway 157. If the property is close to it then you'll hear the bulls bugle when the rut starts. It's pretty awesome.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    My dad owned a farm near clay city. Lots of old coal mining property down in that area with lots of strip pits. Saw lots of deer and coyotes while farming, one turkey ( this was in the eighties). I don't think your friend will be disappointed.

Top Bottom