Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Any suggestions for a new turkey hunter?

I've never gone turkey hunting before in my life, but we've been seeing a few and the grocery store situation isn't that appealing anymore. I've got an 11-87 12ga and I don't remember what choke is in their I'm thinking a full. My plan was to get the right license & stamp and go out back where I've seen them before and just be tucked away in camo being very still on the path they seem to like to use. I've never gotten into turkey hunting because I've never seen enough locally to hunt them and I have no calls or decoys or anything like that. From everything I've read, their eyesight is their greatest defense and I kicked around the idea of a quick krylon camo job on the shotgun, but otherwise don't know if there's much more I can do than be in the right place at the right time and make a good shot. Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Their eyesight is they're biggest asset for sure. They see movement extremely well and they don't stick around to figure out what's moving. Decoys and calls are extremely helpful but you can ambush them if they're consistent in their movements. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the shotgun painted, just get into position where you shouldn't need to move much to get the shot. Once you begin to move and they see you you'll have about one second to get the bead on a head and shoot. Sitting against a large tree, in tall grass or tucked back into a thicket helps keep them from spotting you. If you're in an area they come through daily they may sense something has changed and be on high alert so the better you can hide and blend in the better your chances.

A mature tom with a long beard will provide more meat but I think the young jakes taste a little better. The jakes are easier to kill so we usually target the toms.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

One more thing....if they aren't gobbling or the hens aren't yelping to let you know they're coming you have to sit very still. They can sneak in quietly, see you scratch your nose and vanish without you ever knowing they were in the area.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Is there much difference in the shot size for turkeys? I was planning on either 4 or 6 shot. I was a little shocked when reading that the hunter orange requirements seem to only apply in the fall and that there isn't a requirement to limit shotgun capacity to 3 or something similar.

User Info Menu

pick up a book at cabelas.....
    they are still open. not sure of times.
    pick up a DNR hunting guide with Spring 2020 Turkey regs.
    hope you have time to do hunter ed. course. I think it's mandatory if born after 1984? will be regs. plus. legal weapons & shot sizes for turkey.

BTW, ambushing turkeys is a good "best" way to be in a hunting accident.

good luck in 2020
    No middle game, No end game; just Open the game well. French e4e6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by openwell View Post
    pick up a book at cabelas.....
    they are still open. not sure of times.
    pick up a DNR hunting guide with Spring 2020 Turkey regs.
    hope you have time to do hunter ed. course. I think it's mandatory if born after 1984? will be regs. plus. legal weapons & shot sizes for turkey.

BTW, ambushing turkeys is a good "best" way to be in a hunting accident.

good luck in 2020
    Ambushing turkeys is OK but you should know who is on the same ground or be able to limit who else hunts the property. Hunting public ground IS an excellent way to meet other hunters in poor circumstances.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Ambushing turkeys is OK but you should know who is on the same ground or be able to limit who else hunts the property. Hunting public ground IS an excellent way to meet other hunters in poor circumstances.
    ambushing an american wild turkey is a disgrace!
    dangerous!
    un-necessary.
    un-sportsman like.
    just buy one at the store and be done with it.

User Info Menu

respect in fair-chase hunting is very important especially for new and old.
    some must not understand that bushwacking & ambushing game that requires a hunting license & hunter safety cert. is not "OK".

possibly except for "dump rats" and not even them..

no matter....public or private lands

User Info Menu

respect in fair-chase hunting is very important especially for new and old.
    some must not understand that bushwacking & ambushing game that requires a hunting licence & hunter safety cert. is not "OK".

possibly except for "dump rats" and not even them..

no matter....public or private lands
    WTF are you talking about?

We presume he's going about in a lawful fashion and is smart enough to read the regs. If I went through life assuming everybody was stupid I'd never get anything done.

User Info Menu

ambushing an american wild turkey is a disgrace!
    dangerous!
    un-necessary.
    un-sportsman like.
    just buy one at the store and be done with it.
    Ambushing an American turkey is a lawful and possibly highest probability way of getting to eat one. Kiss my grits, Mel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast