Any suggestions for a new turkey hunter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've never gone turkey hunting before in my life, but we've been seeing a few and the grocery store situation isn't that appealing anymore. I've got an 11-87 12ga and I don't remember what choke is in their I'm thinking a full. My plan was to get the right license & stamp and go out back where I've seen them before and just be tucked away in camo being very still on the path they seem to like to use. I've never gotten into turkey hunting because I've never seen enough locally to hunt them and I have no calls or decoys or anything like that. From everything I've read, their eyesight is their greatest defense and I kicked around the idea of a quick krylon camo job on the shotgun, but otherwise don't know if there's much more I can do than be in the right place at the right time and make a good shot. Any thoughts?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Their eyesight is they're biggest asset for sure. They see movement extremely well and they don't stick around to figure out what's moving. Decoys and calls are extremely helpful but you can ambush them if they're consistent in their movements. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the shotgun painted, just get into position where you shouldn't need to move much to get the shot. Once you begin to move and they see you you'll have about one second to get the bead on a head and shoot. Sitting against a large tree, in tall grass or tucked back into a thicket helps keep them from spotting you. If you're in an area they come through daily they may sense something has changed and be on high alert so the better you can hide and blend in the better your chances.

A mature tom with a long beard will provide more meat but I think the young jakes taste a little better. The jakes are easier to kill so we usually target the toms.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    One more thing....if they aren't gobbling or the hens aren't yelping to let you know they're coming you have to sit very still. They can sneak in quietly, see you scratch your nose and vanish without you ever knowing they were in the area.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Is there much difference in the shot size for turkeys? I was planning on either 4 or 6 shot. I was a little shocked when reading that the hunter orange requirements seem to only apply in the fall and that there isn't a requirement to limit shotgun capacity to 3 or something similar.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    pick up a book at cabelas.....
    they are still open. not sure of times.
    pick up a DNR hunting guide with Spring 2020 Turkey regs.
    hope you have time to do hunter ed. course. I think it's mandatory if born after 1984? will be regs. plus. legal weapons & shot sizes for turkey.

BTW, ambushing turkeys is a good "best" way to be in a hunting accident.

good luck in 2020

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    pick up a book at cabelas.....
    they are still open. not sure of times.
    pick up a DNR hunting guide with Spring 2020 Turkey regs.
    hope you have time to do hunter ed. course. I think it's mandatory if born after 1984? will be regs. plus. legal weapons & shot sizes for turkey.

BTW, ambushing turkeys is a good "best" way to be in a hunting accident.

good luck in 2020

Ambushing turkeys is OK but you should know who is on the same ground or be able to limit who else hunts the property. Hunting public ground IS an excellent way to meet other hunters in poor circumstances.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Ambushing turkeys is OK but you should know who is on the same ground or be able to limit who else hunts the property. Hunting public ground IS an excellent way to meet other hunters in poor circumstances.

ambushing an american wild turkey is a disgrace!
    dangerous!
    un-necessary.
    un-sportsman like.
    just buy one at the store and be done with it.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    respect in fair-chase hunting is very important especially for new and old.
    some must not understand that bushwacking & ambushing game that requires a hunting license & hunter safety cert. is not "OK".

possibly except for "dump rats" and not even them..

no matter....public or private lands

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    some must not understand that bushwacking & ambushing game that requires a hunting licence & hunter safety cert. is not "OK".

WTF are you talking about?

We presume he's going about in a lawful fashion and is smart enough to read the regs. If I went through life assuming everybody was stupid I'd never get anything done.:rolleyes:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    :n00b::rolleyes:

I've yet to see a human run down a turkey or a whitetail so I'm not sure exactly what means other than ambushing exist? How is sitting still, blending in to your surroundings and shooting a turkey not ambushing? :dunno:

I'd like to see how you hunt because I've obviously got a lot to learn.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    WTF kinda $%!/storm did this turn into?!?!

To clear a few things up for the mentally ill involved in this thread. I'm hunting my own land. I'm asking about tactics, regs, and gear for hunting turkeys. Obviously I can read regs and thats why I'm not asking about shooting them from 315 yards with a 308 in one hand and a beer in the other.

You gotta love the internet when it goes full stupid, so thanks for that. Back to the topic if anyone has any constructive advice of great videos the offer tips and tricks from years of experience that I don't have I'd love to see it.

For those genuinely trying to offer legit advice to a noob, thank you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This is likely to make someone unhinged but here is a video I made over the course of several seasons hunting here and in Kentucky. Since you mentioned you hunt on private land you'll see our favorite tactic which is hiding behind a strutting tom or jake decoy and walking up to, or letting them come to us. I'd never attempt it on public ground but if you're on private and don't have reason to be concerned about trespassers it can be extremely effective.

[video=youtube;VVTdekncUac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVTdekncUac[/video]

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the link to the video. Will a ground blind put up recently spook turkeys or will they ignore it? I could set one up, but normally when I do it for deer season I get it out there weeks in advance so they get used to seeing it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :n00b::rolleyes:

I've yet to see a human run down a turkey or a whitetail so I'm not sure exactly what means other than ambushing exist? How is sitting still, blending in to your surroundings and shooting a turkey not ambushing? :dunno:

I'd like to see how you hunt because I've obviously got a lot to learn.

Dueling pistols at 10 paces. You walk up to the game, allow them to choose their weapon (if you're a true gentleman), stand back to back, then walk 10 paces, turn and shoot.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the link to the video. Will a ground blind put up recently spook turkeys or will they ignore it? I could set one up, but normally when I do it for deer season I get it out there weeks in advance so they get used to seeing it.

They acclimate to new things much quicker than deer do. They’ll be cautious for the first couple of days but they’ll get used to it quickly. Sometimes they act like they don’t even notice it. We try to get ours out a week before the opener and that seems to work fine. We prefer not to use them but weather usually requires it at least some of the time.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had my best luck using blinds of opportunity like fallen trees. Find one with the turkeys on the other side and set up a decoy in a clear area and wait. Got this bird by actually standing behind a large tree then jumping out and shooting. That was a unique hunt!

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've had my best luck using blinds of opportunity like fallen trees. Find one with the turkeys on the other side and set up a decoy in a clear area and wait. Got this bird by actually standing behind a large tree then jumping out and shooting. That was a unique hunt!

Funny. That is exactly how I pictured you. :rockwoot:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    ambushing an american wild turkey is a disgrace!
    dangerous!
    un-necessary.
    un-sportsman like.
    just buy one at the store and be done with it.

some must not understand that bushwacking & ambushing game that requires a hunting license & hunter safety cert. is not "OK".

:dunno:
    No clue what you are talking about.
    What the OP was describing doing is the same way most deer are killed every year.
    Find a path the deer are using and put up a tree stand or blind and wait on the deer to come by and then shoot them.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom