• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Bought a piece of property, and it's in the middle of BFE. Looking for a set of two way radios to communicate around the farm, because cell reception is null. Something simple would be good, because this will be used by the wife. Something that is somewhat ruggedized and weather proof would be ideal, because we are both into the outdoors (and they will probably get packed on hunting trips. Rechargeable would be fantastic. Budget is pretty open, trying to keep it >$150 for the pair.
    I've carried a Motorola radio for work for the last 15 years, so that makes me a bit brand biased. That said, I am open to anything, and am all ears. Thanks INGO :ingo:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    How big is the place? There are some waterproof GMRS Radios on Amazon. Or you can both get ham licensed, or get a business band, license on itinerant freqs for $160.00. CB radio also. But I bet the GMRS will work fine.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Don't use ham radio's unless you make the effort to get licenses for all involved.

1. You and wife need a license to operate in the UHF/VHF amateur radio bands.
    2. If you are in BFE you need to find out if there are repeaters within range of your property....what county?
    3. If you are going to have a dwelling of some kind there, you'd do well to then install an antenna up as high as you can get it, and mount a base radio there. (50-70 watts) One that does cross band repeat maybe.
    4. If your property is hilly and heavily wooded, UHF/VHF might not be the answer for reliable hand held comms.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Are you wanting communication with folks or n your property or are you wanting coms out to the rest of the world?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would like to get into HAM, but know nothing about it honestly. Property is 35 acres, surrounded by a few hundred more that I have full access to. We also do a lot of hunting in the area, on approximately 8000 acres of farmland that a friend works. That said, we are rarely more than a mile or two away from one another. The area is low, river bottom type terrain, surrounded by some really big hills and heavily wooded. Probably doesn't matter what the radio is rated at, I'd be surprised if something reached more than 3 or so miles out there.

Bought the wife a set of Motorola T600's. We spend a lot of time kayaking and doing outdoor stuff. The fact that they float kind of sold me. There is a lot of creeks and water out there, and the idea of one falling into water is not too far fetched.

Really happy with them so far. Simple interface, which is good for her. If its complicated or intimidating looking, she'd probably wouldn't have messed with them.

Once I get setup out there (building a house ASAP), I am going to try out the HAM stuff and get my license. I have a lot of family nearby in the area, and could see it being really handy to get into.

Thanks guys :ingo:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Property is in Greene, near New Ark and New Hope (AKA B.F.E.). A tower makes sense, because it is pretty rough terrain. We have a really tall ridge on the property, that would likely be good for an antenna.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Check out the link in my signature, it has all the info you need to get started with studying for the ham test.

Top Bottom