Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by foszoe View Post
    Chainsaws are a lot like cars.....a lot of how long they run depends on how well we take care of them.
    No disrespect intended or implied, but I,be treated my Stihl saws like crap for the last 20 years and they all still run great. I keep bar oil in them and always use Stihl 2 cycle oil to mix my fuel. I only clean the bar if I take the chain off for some reason which is rare. I file the chains about every other tank of fuel. I only cut about 6 cord a year, mostly hickory. The air filter area should be blown out after every use, but mine only gets cleaned a few times per year. Point is that saws are pretty durable so long as you don't ever use straight gas in them. Straight gasing is the most common cause of death for any good saw.

Plinker

User Info Menu

As some people have said, there's not much difference between different brands. However, there can be a HUGE difference in chains. Having the right chain for your saw, and keeping it sharp will make all the difference in the world.

On that note, a few things/terms to know about chains.

Skip chain - every other tooth/cutter is missing. Useful on long bars to give more room for chip clearance.

Full comp - Normal chain that has all of its teeth.

Semi skip - between a skip and full comp

Full chisel - cutter profile has a sharp corner on it. The corner causes the leading edge to have a sharp point that penetrates into the wood a lot easier.
    Cuts faster, but also can be "grabby" so hang onto the saw (which should be obvious). Also, it dulls more in dirt or dirty wood. Normally marked as a professional chain because it is more prone to kickback if you hit the tip on something.

Semi chisel - the sharp corner is rounded. Doesn't dull as fast in dirty wood. Kickback is reduced.

Safety chain - cutter profile is even more curved and drag links have a hump profile to reduce kickback. These normally come on a home owner saw. All but worthless. If you are used to using a sharp full chisel chain, you will swear something is wrong when you try a safety chain. It will seem like you've hit a rock and dulled your chain.

My preferred setup for most saws is a .325 full chisel chain. This chain has the narrowest kerf which makes it faster than other chains of the same length. 3 of my 4 saws run 18" bars with .325 chain. My big saw runs a 28" bar with .404 chain.

In general 40-50 cc saws run best with 16" bars. 50-60 cc saws can pull 18" bars with no noticable loss in performance. 70cc and up generally run at least a 24" bar, but sometimes much longer. They can all run longer bars, but they will be at least a little slower. How long of a bar they can actually run depends on how much oil the saw can put on the bar.

Another word of advice. Think about what might by IN the tree - fence, rocks, bullets, ECT. We even found a ceramic insulator once. Totally ruined that chain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelefthand View Post
    No disrespect intended or implied, but I,be treated my Stihl saws like crap for the last 20 years and they all still run great. I keep bar oil in them and always use Stihl 2 cycle oil to mix my fuel. I only clean the bar if I take the chain off for some reason which is rare. I file the chains about every other tank of fuel. I only cut about 6 cord a year, mostly hickory. The air filter area should be blown out after every use, but mine only gets cleaned a few times per year. Point is that saws are pretty durable so long as you don't ever use straight gas in them. Straight gasing is the most common cause of death for any good saw.
    I think your definition of ďtreated like crapĒ and others might be a little different.

Leaving ethanol mixed gas in a saw for months on end is a sure way to choke most any carburetor or split a fuel line, regardless of make.

Plinker

User Info Menu

My saws get fuel left in them for months on end with no problems. I mix 2 gal at a time and that normally lasts me over a year. Maybe the newer saws are more problematic, but my 024, 026, 036, and 064 don't seem to care. My dad has an 028 that only gets run about once a year, also no problems.
    Last edited by thelefthand; 05-03-2020 at 09:19.

User Info Menu

I agree with the STIHL professional grade saws. I rock the 261 which can be found used for $300 all day. I run it with both 18" and 20" bars/chains. My favorite saw is the 180 with a 16" picco chain. It's so light and easy to use I grab it 9 out of 10 times

User Info Menu

Almost all the problems people have with chainsaws is the engine.

Thus, I'd be inclined this direction:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCU03PT1

Plinker

User Info Menu

I bought a Stihl MS311 about five years ago, it's been great. Throw away the stupid safety chain they come with and get the full chisel. Husqvarna makes good stuff too, I had a husky 61 before this and it was pretty worn out when I bought it and still ran for years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    Almost all the problems people have with chainsaws is the engine.

Thus, I'd be inclined this direction:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCU03PT1

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....you brought a battery powered trimmer into a chainsaw thread.

My 66 year old mother uses one for clearing smaller trees and cutting branches, but me I will stick to something that works for cutting cords of wood.

Marksman

User Info Menu

So I did end up with the Stihl ms 291. Iíve used the hell out of it the last few weeks. Absolutely love it. Same weight as the 271 with a little more power. Also got the 94 R weed eater and the bg86 blower. Iím officially a Stihl fanboy. Theyíre all awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokingman View Post
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....you brought a battery powered trimmer into a chainsaw thread.

My 66 year old mother uses one for clearing smaller trees and cutting branches, but me I will stick to something that works for cutting cords of wood.
    You need to catch up a bit on the times. A saw like this basically replaces a 30cc-class saw:

https://youtu.be/9Jo9UsvY6Tc

These literally aren't your grandmother's saw.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9