• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've been taking my kids a few places in the Jeep to explore a bit. Last week, we went to the Hoosier National Forest in Monroe and Brown counties and explored back roads. I saw in the current issue of Outdoor Indiana a beautiful shot of the Ohio River from Obannon Woods State Park. So, we may head down to the big river to have a picnic and see the scenery.

I was wondering if any Ingo members near the river can tell me if the shutdown has stopped commercial barge/tug traffic, or is there still enough that we might see a few go by if we have a picnic for a couple hours on the shoreline? Just curious. I always love seeing them.

Any info is appreciated!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Alas since moving our offices in February, I've lost my panoramic views of the river. But I have seen plenty of tows ongoing.

Dabird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2020
    New Albany
    I live a few blocks from the river and drive over the Sherman Minton Bridge into Louisville 5 days a week. I see barges almost every day . Doesn't seem like traffic has slowed much at all

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Let me look yep boats still on river!

You can come down to Perry County nice and quiet peaceful shoreline you can hit Troy, Tell City behind the flood wall has a nice park, and the locks and dams at Cannelton, Derby is on a nice bend in the river beautiful.

Then drive to Tobinsport along the river and experience some very rural Indiana !

I believe Eagles Bluff is closed it’s a amazing view!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

You can come down to Perry County nice and quiet peaceful shoreline you can hit Troy, Tell City behind the flood wall has a nice park, and the locks and dams at Cannelton, Derby is on a nice bend in the river beautiful.

Then drive to Tobinsport along the river and experience some very rural Indiana !

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! We may check out those places!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Taking the Jeep? If you happen to be out near Madison, find Bee Camp Road. Once things open back up, Madison is worth a stop as well.

Lots of scenic drive kinds of places. We love exploring down that way.

Just for the kids, on the way home drive by: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2679

That website has all kinds of oddball stuff. My wife has a similar app on her phone.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

Hwy 62 was my motorcycle course when I wanted to get out. Just east of Derby the river is just on the other side of a field that was planted in corn. The wheelhouse of a tug was all you could see above the corn, memories...

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

You can jump on hiway 66 west out of Corydon and make a stop at the Overlook Restaurant (closed unfortunatly due to the virus) another quick stop at Magnet for a great view of the Ohio. Then head on down to Cannelton Locks and damn. Best motorcycle and jeep route around.

The Overlook

barge overlook.jpg barge2.jpg overlook.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah a stop at the dam at Cannelton is a good place for barge spotting. There is a observation deck (not sure if open right now) where you can get a real up close look at the barges locking through. If the traffic is heavy there will be two or 3 pulled up next to the bank on either side of the dam. Same would occur at about any other dam but since the Cannelton dam is right next to the road it is easy to access and watch. Hopefully the wind won't be blowing from the paper mill!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Taking the Jeep? If you happen to be out near Madison, find Bee Camp Road. Once things open back up, Madison is worth a stop as well.

Lots of scenic drive kinds of places. We love exploring down that way.

Just for the kids, on the way home drive by: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2679

That website has all kinds of oddball stuff. My wife has a similar app on her phone.

Yep! Depending on when we go and if it warms up enough, I may swap out the hard top for the soft top. If it is really warm, I'll go tube doors. Right now, though, the 10 day forecast is not showing temps getting out of the 60's, so I may wait just a little bit.

I'll check that site out! Looks cool!

How are you liking that Gladiator?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yeah a stop at the dam at Cannelton is a good place for barge spotting. There is a observation deck (not sure if open right now) where you can get a real up close look at the barges locking through. If the traffic is heavy there will be two or 3 pulled up next to the bank on either side of the dam. Same would occur at about any other dam but since the Cannelton dam is right next to the road it is easy to access and watch. Hopefully the wind won't be blowing from the paper mill!

That observation deck sounds awesome! I'll call to see if the overlook is open. Hopefully someone will be there to answer.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    We were at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky about fifteen years ago, and wanted to see the Berkeley lock. They had the entire area closed off with fencing and a sign stating it was due to 9-11.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Top Bottom