• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Anyone else like bridges? Indiana has some really beautiful and unique bridges. Many of them have stories. Post up pics and stories, if you know them. Of course, it isn't limited to Indiana, so post them from anywhere else, too!

I'll open it up with one on N. Co. Rd. 900E, by McCloud Nature Preserve in the NW corner of Hendrick's County. The road was closed off last I was there, so I'm not sure of the current state of the bridge, but it was a nice one to drive upon and the view of the creek over the side was beautiful.

HKHawln.jpg
    qKLH9lU.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Here's the Mackinac Bridge in February. I went up to Traverse City on a snowmobile trip and went to the UP to explore a little. What a bridge! Especially in a Jeep in strong wind!

One of these days I'm going to head up there and cross it again on the way to off-roading on Drummond Island.

YwgOcG4.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I grew up in Putnam county. Hung out around these all the time in the summer.

DSCN2354.jpg

Nice! I've always loved the quiet around a covered bridge in the summer. It seems like the birds and frogs and wind through the leaves are much more noticeable.

Here's one not far south of US 36, also in Putnam County.

chQ7i9I.jpg

G5QeLXd.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The bridge over by McCloud is closed and blocked off with piles of rip-rap. Wondering if they are going to just leave it closed, or replace it with a modern one eventually.

I get bummed out whenever an old bridge is torn down, rather than refurbished. A little bit of history goes away. Feel the same about "dry fords" getting replaced by concrete and culverts, and paving the world in general.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The bridge over by McCloud is closed and blocked off with piles of rip-rap. Wondering if they are going to just leave it closed, or replace it with a modern one eventually.

I get bummed out whenever an old bridge is torn down, rather than refurbished. A little bit of history goes away. Feel the same about "dry fords" getting replaced by concrete and culverts, and paving the world in general.

Yeah, I agree. I'd love it if they'd refurbish it.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I wonder if the Bridgeton mill is open these days and selling corn meal? Some corn bread sounds good for dinner!

Yes it is, Mike is milling up a storm. If you want to place an order by mail, call the Millers wife. Call Karen Jean 812-239-8786

This is the latest hours I can find.

Bridgeton Mill will be open tomorrow Thur - Sat. 12:00 ish to 5:00. We have continued to make flour - cornmeal and other mill products. Shipping is available - call Karen Jean 812-239-8786.
    Be safe.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yes it is, Mike is milling up a storm. If you want to place an order by mail, call the Millers wife. Call Karen Jean 812-239-8786

This is the latest hours I can find.

Bridgeton Mill will be open tomorrow Thur - Sat. 12:00 ish to 5:00. We have continued to make flour - cornmeal and other mill products. Shipping is available - call Karen Jean 812-239-8786.
    Be safe.

Awesome! I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and get out there and grab some this week! Thanks!!

Wow, that bridge in Hamilton Co. is gorgeous!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Nice! I've always loved the quiet around a covered bridge in the summer. It seems like the birds and frogs and wind through the leaves are much more noticeable.

Here's one not far south of US 36, also in Putnam County.

chQ7i9I.jpg

G5QeLXd.jpg

Ha! Been across that one many times, that road is "old US 36" east of Bainbridge. The picture I posted is Rolling Stone bridge.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I spent many days in the summer growing up riding my bicycle a mile to Marshall, IN. Eating lunch at the restaurant across from the bank when Spurr's owned it. Then riding to narrows bridge and jumping off and swimming until 4. After that peddling trail 1 to Turkey Run camp ground and catching a ride home with mom after her shift at the camp store. The days I didn't ride to narrows I rode to Rockville lake 6 miles away swam all day and rode back home.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Don't have a picture but just north of Eugene in Vermillion County there is a covered Bridge they shut down to traffic in IIRC 1973 and it still stands and is maintained with the new bridge just downstream. It is still used for foot traffic and golf carts etc. Sad thing, about two years ago someone set fire to it. Luckily someone saw smoke and it was put out with minimum damage. No one has ever been caught for the fire, too bad, they should be hung from the bridge. Jim.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Don't have a picture but just north of Eugene in Vermillion County there is a covered Bridge they shut down to traffic in IIRC 1973 and it still stands and is maintained with the new bridge just downstream. It is still used for foot traffic and golf carts etc. Sad thing, about two years ago someone set fire to it. Luckily someone saw smoke and it was put out with minimum damage. No one has ever been caught for the fire, too bad, they should be hung from the bridge. Jim.

the covered bridge in Bridgeton was destroyed by arson in 2004 or 2005. Some wondered if it would be replaced, how long it would take, how much it would cost and if the state would do it. Not even days after the fire, people were calling mike at the mill donating services, trees, or money. There was no bridge for the covered bridge festival in 2005. In 2006, there was a mostly completed bridge where the old one stood. The abudments were rebuilt also. The total cash cost not including donated materials and services (tree harvesters, portable mills to cut trees, etc) was around 300k. If the state had done it, it might not had gotten done or been years and millions of dollars.

if you want a good read, mike has a book he sells talking about the 14 miracles to save the mill (everything from buying the mill to the fire to rebuilding the dam).

Top Bottom