• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2018
    Greenville
    There have been three I've seen near my property. The first is under a vacant house next door to me, so can't do anything about him. The second set up shop in my crawlspace and was therefore evicted at around 750fps. The third is living near a drainage ditch about a tenth of a mile away from me. I see him in the road occasionally, but unfortunately he hasn't turned to road kill yet.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've seen a few at my place. Still waiting for them to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Where I work in Fort Wayne is overrun with them. I was at my cabin in northern Michigan a couple weeks ago. One had burrowed into my outhouse pit and made a nest. Three tunnels in and out. I was sitting there wondering how high a groundhog can jump.....

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    My son shot his first one couple weeks ago on one of the warmer afternoons. Let him use my Savage Axis .223 that has been the grim reaper to at least 20 over the last decade. We dont get a ton at our property.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    How likely am I to see groundhogs on state forest property. I might be fooling myself, but I would like to shoot some with my 10mm Glock 40 MOS. My cup is always half full :):

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    How likely am I to see groundhogs on state forest property. I might be fooling myself, but I would like to shoot some with my 10mm Glock 40 MOS. My cup is always half full :):

boy you are pretty far off.....
    groundhogs love hay & bean fields.
    so seek permission from farmers with such.

best hunting requires centerfire rifle with a scope 3X9 4X12 and such.
    fixed 10x on 22/250 rem. is excellent.
    although I have taken a few with a bow so handgun is OK. better with scoped one. revolver or contenders again with a scope.
    min. 22 hornet. better .222 rem. .223 rem. excellent 22/250 rem.
    Have not seen very many since coyotes
    are everwhere. but most farmers may welcome you

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    In my younger years we pistol hunted them with Ruger Mark Two and Browning Buckmarks. It was always in early bean fields and took some serious stalking. We killed quite a few and the farmer paid us two dollars each. It kept us in ammo money. I have seen more groundhogs on our farms the past two years than in the prior fifteen years.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Yea, I am in northwest indiana and coyotes are doing a excellent job knocking out groundhogs,have to have time and good binoculars or spotting scope.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The coyotes havent helped me any lately. Ive been trying to get one trapped on my river bank for last few weeks without any luck. Ive only seen the one but he/she is doing enough damage for me. If I could just shoot it Id be rid of it but shooting towards or across the river would get me a visit from our local CO and thats not my idea of fun. Ive only seen the one but there could be more by the amount of damage thats been done. Will keep setting the trap til I get it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The coyotes havent helped me any lately. Ive been trying to get one trapped on my river bank for last few weeks without any luck. Ive only seen the one but he/she is doing enough damage for me. If I could just shoot it Id be rid of it but shooting towards or across the river would get me a visit from our local CO and thats not my idea of fun. Ive only seen the one but there could be more by the amount of damage thats been done. Will keep setting the trap til I get it.

Might give the CO a call. If they're doing legitimate damage you may be able to come up with a solution which won't put you at risk.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Might give the CO a call. If they're doing legitimate damage you may be able to come up with a solution which won't put you at risk.

I'll second this.

We hear horror stories about conservation officers, but I have never had a negative encounter with one.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Drove out to public ground, farmers were working nearby.
    So made a small loop across road and called it done.
    Yotes have em about extinct there.

Not even one active den found, on a couple ridges.
    Oh well, got out of the house for a bit.

vX2k7nK.jpg

Top Bottom