• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I've been hunting for about 5 years. I have an almost 6 year old boy who is very interested in where the deer comes from. He is very interested in knowing where the meat we eat comes.
    Do you think taking him on a squirrel hunt this summer is too soon? I'd be using a supressed 10/22 so the rifle sound shouldn't scare him. I just don't want to scare him off hunting by seeing a dead animal too soon.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Where meat comes from has always been explained with the same indifference as where apples come from. That paired with helping me field dress and butcher deer from about same age as you’re talking about has never scarred my kids. They’re still avid meat eaters. My oldest started hunting with me at about 8. He’s 15 now...he’s not totally into hunting now, although that’s more a reflection of his disdain for waking up early and being uncomfortable. He did come out and hunt some turkey this past week in the afternoon. Hope that helps!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think there's a magic age, but it depends on the kid. Old enough to take things seriously, be patient, and have an interest in it. It sounds like that last one is taken care of, which can be huge. Nothing worse, long-term, than trying to force a kid to do gun-related things who has no interest in it.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I had both of mine in the fields, blinds, stands and on the water the summers they turned 6.
    Within a year the dark woods were not dark and horrible any longer. Giving up a few years of hunting while they are young will return a lifetime of hunts with your kid.

My older son years back spent a cold really wet day with my dog in a duck blind.
    I didnt hear a shot all day, when he was shucking his rain gear i asked him how it went.
    He replied..... I had a awesome day pop's..... I knew then that he gets it...

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    thanks for the input.
    He's already come to me a few weeks ago asking if we could sit out and call deer and squirrels in the backyard. The morning of he actually came in to our room fully dressed and ready about 15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. Guess I'll ask him if he's interested in going to shoot a few squirrels in August.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    It's time. Started taking my kids about that age. You have 15 minutes to hunt. Then they start getting a little figety. Your done. Go find a creek and flip some stones. Keep it fun. The patience will come.

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    I started my oldest daughter at about 4 she was fine with the dead animal part but I hid the processing part until she was older. She’s ten now and still wants to hunt with me haven’t let her loose with a knife yet and we don’t do long hunts. When she is bored of it we head for the house sometime afterwards. No reason for me to sit there and ruin my hunt by telling her to sit still and her growing tired of hunting. Try to keep it fun and entertaining. We do it for enjoyment after all don’t make it a chore for them and they will too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I was 5 or 6 when I tagged along with my dad squirrel hunting. I would take my Lone Ranger cap gun and go "Bang" when I saw a squirrel. If you have a ground blind, take your boy with you deer or turkey hunting. They can take a B B gun or a toy gun and practice handling a gun in the field. They can take a book or something to do to help pass the time.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    If he is interested, fuel the fire. I would/will tell my 8 yr old stories and watch hunting shows. Took him at 4 coon calling. From that day on I believe I created a monster.

He wants to hunt and trap year round, I'm constantly reminding him about seasons. I got him a 410. It has been used for squirrel and dove. He was hitting doves at age 6 with a single shot 410.

He has 3 deer under his belt and got his first turkey this spring. Not with the 410 I must add.

Wants to moose hunt and bear hunt for graduation. He is ate up with hunting.

I created a monster as mentioned earlier, but in turn I've created a lifelong hunting buddy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been hunting for about 5 years. I have an almost 6 year old boy who is very interested in where the deer comes from. He is very interested in knowing where the meat we eat comes.
    Do you think taking him on a squirrel hunt this summer is too soon? I'd be using a supressed 10/22 so the rifle sound shouldn't scare him. I just don't want to scare him off hunting by seeing a dead animal too soon.

I started deer hunting more than 40 years ago. Read a few magazines and decided to teach myself.
    On my first season (second day out) I bagged myself a respectable 9 point buck.
    I was so excited, and proud of myself, that I had to brag to someone.
    I drove straight from the field to my brothers house.

Standing in his living room I proudly announced, "I killed Bambi!"
    My 4 year old nephew came around the corner and announced, "You didn't kill Bambi. Bambi is a cartoon character".
    I just about fell on the floor.

My brother and I were both a little unsure about letting him see my buck in the back of my truck, but the nephew insisted.
    He took one look at it and said, "O.K., that's a deer"
    We both laughed as the nephew went off to do 4 year old stuff.
    Didn't bother him in the least.

If the child shows interest, and you feel he is responsible enough, I say jump on the opportunity.
    Like others have said, don't push it, and keep things fun, but definitely go for it.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Depends on the child & sounds like your son is asking for more info so go from there.
    My wife worked on Saturdays which was the best day for me to Scout for Spring turkey season. My daughter was five and I watched her and spent many at playscape @Indpls Childrens Museum. It's fantastic kids "hands on" play/learn area you have to visit to understand.
    During the winter evenings I would practice turkey calling, box calls, slates & mouth calls. My daughter was very interested in learning how to make "turkey sounds". so, she started & learned quickly as kids are fast learners.

Sat. morning I would head to the woods to scout and she would come with me. She got to hear and see turkeys. and call them too.
    we would also see tadpoles in puddles, all kinds birds, waterfowl and squirrels.
    So start as you have the basics.

LilEnis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2020
    Boonvegas
    Take the boy when you feel you should take him. Don ask others cause they dont no your kid. I was 6 years old huntin coon by myself but my brother was near 12 be for he could go a lone. depends on how responsable you feel you boy is.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    The gun part can wait.
    You have to prepare because I got a 20ga Savage single shot & chipmunk .22
    The Savage needed gunsmith for recoil pad, stock fit & trigger pull adjustment.
    It took time but you don't need to hurry.

The .22 was spent poping balloons @range. all fun no pressure.
    Squirrels are a hard target to start on youngsters don't have the physical skills for targets among the branches.
    some do. my daughter was rather small so no.
    Once you have the guns you must first go about gun safety. I could that part but I chose to enroll both of us in hunter education class. Took four lessons then an exam. At her age the conservation officer actually read the test questions & answer choices as she passed her exam. got her certificate as did I.
    So lots of fun learning with Dad.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    My own hunting started with my grand-father @ age 14.
    That was minimum age for PA youth hunting license.
    Still have that license.
    lots of fun learning without much pressure. That's what makes kids stick with things.
    so start when you're both ready.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a soon to be step daughter thats 4 that ive taken with me to shoot squirrels and starlings but i only take her on private land to make it safer. I use a pellet gun when shes with me for the sound. she loves it. i got her a fake gun for christmas that we put in the safe and obey the rules with to help her learn and she carries it when im shooting and on the shots i dont want to take she can "shoot". She gets to shaking when she sees a starling or tree rat now. i wasnt sure about cleaning them around her but she happened to see me one day and she does really good. its all about the maturity and interest.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Got the OK from the Mrs. We're gonna get out to my grandfather's small woods late this summer and give it a shot. I'm sure he'll be really excited, so I'm not going to tell him until a few days prior.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    We need youth that have been taught respect for wildlife, hunting, sportsmanship, and safety. Hunting is more than going out to shoot your game. Start now by teaching him how to scout. How to observe. Learn the terrain and how animals leave behind sign.
    He will have to pass a hunters ED class, so take this opportunity to learn what’s in the study guide with hands on knowledge. Don’t just allow him to take the test just to pass for hunting but actually teach him what’s in the guides.

Good luck and hopefully your first day out together will create the best of memories!

tosharri

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Plainfield
    My daughter is 10...she started archery two years ago and is really wanting to bowhunt because some of her friends already do. I'm not certain she will be ready for the processing part either, but she still can't pull the minimum draw weight anyway so I'm just biding time until she does (which will likely be this year). I've never personally hunted but want to try and have seen but never personally done any of the field dress. Have a few friends that are willing to take her and I out but they're wanting her to do the whole thing..I was hoping to ease her into it halfway somehow lol...

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I've never personally hunted but want to try and have seen but never personally done any of the field dress. Have a few friends that are willing to take her and I out but they're wanting her to do the whole thing..I was hoping to ease her into it halfway somehow lol...

Just commenting on this part:
    I had never dressed a deer either, and was most worried about that on my first solo hunt. Watch some youtube videos and go for it. It was really not all that difficult. Don't get me wrong, it was physically hard for me but not difficult to figure out how to do it. The processor I used told me I did better than most, and was impressed for my first attempt.

tosharri

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Plainfield
    Just commenting on this part:
    I had never dressed a deer either, and was most worried about that on my first solo hunt. Watch some youtube videos and go for it. It was really not all that difficult. Don't get me wrong, it was physically hard for me but not difficult to figure out how to do it. The processor I used told me I did better than most, and was impressed for my first attempt.

It seems there is a youtube video for everything now! I've actually searched for some and have them in my 'watch later' list but back and forth on if I have my daughter watch it with me. Thank you for the kind words though - It seems like most of the people I know who hunt have done it all their lives and their kids per their description just 'pick it up' and I fear it will be more of a challenge with my daughter and I

Top Bottom