Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Cordless Chainsaw Suggestions

Howdy all! Iím looking to purchase a cordless (battery powered) chainsaw. (And yes, Iím aware that gas powered chainsaws are in fact ďcordless,Ē but the nomenclature dictates otherwise.)

Iím not dropping whole trees, just chopping fallen branches and taking down saplings. Iíve been looking at 12Ē-14Ē blades, and anywhere between 20v-60v batteries. (Iíve been waiting on Menards to release a Masterforce saw since I have their 20v cordless tools - then they did and it has a proprietary 80v battery and charger.)

Anybody have any suggestions and firsthand experiences?
    VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT

User Info Menu

I have the Dewalt 20v and 60v models, and found them both to be pretty capable.
    IWTFM Eternal vigilance is the price of chickens. JFC advocate.

User Info Menu

Buy once, cry once.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

User Info Menu

I went dewalt since I wanted something more one-handable. Iíve been pleased, but I fire up the husky for bigger stuff.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indyjohn View Post

Buy once, cry once.
    I swing a maul. Maybe I need to reconsider?

Expert

User Info Menu

Since I already have Milwaukee M18 I went with their saw. It does fine but I wish it was built like a trim saw.

User Info Menu

I have 3 of these Black & Decker chainsaws. I recommend having a few extra batteries for each chainsaw. But since my weed eaters, drill, pole saw and hedge trimmers take the same batteries I happen to have a lot of extra batteries. I have cut some really large trees with these up in our woods. My sons and I use them to clear our hiking and hunting trails or to cut down fallen trees that need to get removed around our shooting ranges. Not as fast as my gas powered Stihl but very lightweight for hiking or using on Trails or Camp Sites.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Plinker

User Info Menu

Great point. It doesn't matter what brand or voltage. YOU WILL NEED PLENTY OF BATTERIES UNLESS YOU HAVE MANY DAYS TO DO ANYTHING WITH A CORDLESS CHAINSAW.

User Info Menu

I love my RYOBI.
    40 v.

The battery pack can be used on a small leaf blower, weed whip, hedge trimmer, chain saw, and maybe something else.
    So, every time I bought a tool, I got another battery.
    I've run a battery down. By the time the 2nd battery is run down, the 1st battery is charged. If not, I have a couple more batteries sitting there.

One word of warning though.
    If you leave the batteries on a shelf for a LONG time, they can show up as "damaged" when you put them in the charger.
    It's because the battery voltage has drifted down to where the charger thinks the battery is damaged.
    If this happens, there are ways to bring the voltage up enough for the charger to work.
    Also, you can rotate the batteries onto the charger every once in a while.
    Una salus victis nullam sperare salute.
    The only hope for the doomed, is no hope at all
    Virgil

I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast;
    for I intend to go in harm's way.
    John Paul Jones

A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.
    Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

User Info Menu

Also, remember to check the lubricating oil. I loaned mine out to someone that didn't.
    I had to replace the draw bar and the chain.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salute.
    The only hope for the doomed, is no hope at all
    Virgil

I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast;
    for I intend to go in harm's way.
    John Paul Jones

A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.
    Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast