Any tips for "live" trapping groundhogs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My neighbor and I have a ground hog making holes under some trees of hers. The dirty thing never gives me a clean shot, and conventional trapping is out because she's got lots of cats and critters running around. I've never used a live trap before, but I'd like to in this case because I don't want to harm any of her cats especially. Do any of you have any suggestions of what to put in the live trap that works well for groundhogs? I was thinking about putting it 10' from his hole and throwing lettuce in there, but I'm sure there's a better way to do it than that.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I have had luck using a paper plate slathered in peanut butter and then large marshmallows stuck in the PB. Doesn't seem to attract the cats as bad. Will pull in the possums to. Good luck.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a shed that groundhogs like to try to live under. I can't just shoot it whenever I see it because of houses, so I have to get it in a certain area. I'll set out tomatoes and other stuff in the area I need it to be, set up my motion detector, and wait for the alarm. When the alarm goes off, I can see what it is, and shoot it if it's the groundhog.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Even if using a live trap, check it a couple times a day.
    Once in, the little dude will try to root his way out and can chew up his nose.
    Even if your gonna shoot him, no sense in letting him get torn up before.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Cantaloupe and apples for bait. Close the trap at night if you don't want coons. You can drop him by the hacienda down in Brown County. Coyotes gotta eat too.
    Couple of mole killing smoke bombs in his hole and plug every place that smoke comes out works too.

Gallon of gas down a garden hose as far down as you can push it then wait 2 minutes and throw a match at the hole is always exciting.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Planning on dropping off the trapped animal somewhere?
    Farmers don't want it.
    Parks don't want it.
    SSS

I'm going to "drop him" off alright. Just not in front of the nice hippie neighbor lady who saves the lives of every critter she comes across. The little bugger under the trees has a clocking ticking down.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Watch that live trap. Caught one in mine a few years ago, and he bent the metal drop plate out a couple inches. I think he was pretty mad! If he had more time, he may have gotten out and destroyed the trap in the process.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My malinois kills everything in our yard and have gotten many a whistle pig! I live in Terrace Meadows so they are common.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cantaloupe and apples for bait. Close the trap at night if you don't want coons. You can drop him by the hacienda down in Brown County. Coyotes gotta eat too.
    Couple of mole killing smoke bombs in his hole and plug every place that smoke comes out works too.

Gallon of gas down a garden hose as far down as you can push it then wait 2 minutes and throw a match at the hole is always exciting.

If you are gonna do that, Mapp gas and maybe some ox down the hole. (cover the hoses thoroughly to seal the hole)

And make SURE you detonate that VERY remotely. long wire run and rocket motor ignitors. or some 0000 steel wool, bridging the two electrical wires and something with pretty good current to make it glow.

One caveat: Be DAMN sure the tunnel isnt under any structures. Because you just might explode that as well.

(I dont actually recommend doing this even though I've seen it work VERY effectively.)

[video=youtube;2XBQbS0ACm4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XBQbS0ACm4[/video]

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Check the trap often. I once had one trapped in the morning. I saw it in the trap before going to work but didn't want to mess with it in my work clothes, so I waited until after work. It exerted itself so much trying to get out of the trap it expired by the time I got home from work that afternoon. We shot 6 pups yesterday afternoon, still trying to get the mother. I have been fighting ground hogs in the same location for the past 20 years. They keep coming.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What about something like a 160 or 220 Conibear-style trap over a burrow hole and then placing a tent rig or box over the trap to keep out the neighborhood cats and such (maybe a box with a hole cut in it and some clear plastic taped over to let light in)? Fill all the burrow holes but 1, and set the trap on that remaining hole. If you have enough traps, you can set and box every hole you can find.

Of course, this only works if you know the beasties are in the den.

And of course, if you're not comfortable enough that this will prevent accidentally catching a non-target species, you can try the live trap method.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom