Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Any tips for "live" trapping groundhogs?

My neighbor and I have a ground hog making holes under some trees of hers. The dirty thing never gives me a clean shot, and conventional trapping is out because she's got lots of cats and critters running around. I've never used a live trap before, but I'd like to in this case because I don't want to harm any of her cats especially. Do any of you have any suggestions of what to put in the live trap that works well for groundhogs? I was thinking about putting it 10' from his hole and throwing lettuce in there, but I'm sure there's a better way to do it than that.

User Info Menu

I have had luck using a paper plate slathered in peanut butter and then large marshmallows stuck in the PB. Doesn't seem to attract the cats as bad. Will pull in the possums to. Good luck.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerjon View Post
    I have had luck using a paper plate slathered in peanut butter and then large marshmallows stuck in the PB. Doesn't seem to attract the cats as bad. Will pull in the possums to. Good luck.
    Also Coons and rats. Be ready.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

I have a shed that groundhogs like to try to live under. I can't just shoot it whenever I see it because of houses, so I have to get it in a certain area. I'll set out tomatoes and other stuff in the area I need it to be, set up my motion detector, and wait for the alarm. When the alarm goes off, I can see what it is, and shoot it if it's the groundhog.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Also Coons and rats. Be ready.
    Good thing to get rid of them also!
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I’ve had luck using cantaloupe for groundhogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert

User Info Menu

I had a friend that had one as a pet....he said it REALLY liked 7 and 7...

User Info Menu

Even if using a live trap, check it a couple times a day.
    Once in, the little dude will try to root his way out and can chew up his nose.
    Even if your gonna shoot him, no sense in letting him get torn up before.

User Info Menu

Planning on dropping off the trapped animal somewhere?
    Farmers don't want it.
    Parks don't want it.
    SSS
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Cantaloupe and apples for bait. Close the trap at night if you don't want coons. You can drop him by the hacienda down in Brown County. Coyotes gotta eat too.
    Couple of mole killing smoke bombs in his hole and plug every place that smoke comes out works too.

Gallon of gas down a garden hose as far down as you can push it then wait 2 minutes and throw a match at the hole is always exciting.

Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast