• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Preface: I am 63 y/o, reasonably healthy but have a fused ankle and various joint damage from rheumatoid arthritis (read not as strong as I once was). I hike and backpack at my own pace. I do not climb tree stands or ladders if I can avoid it.

Edit: I intend to handgun hunt with a 10mm. I am practicing at 50 yards shooting an 8" diameter target. Considering the Hoosier National Forest.

1) How far from a parking spot on the road do you go into the woods when hunting deer on public land in Indiana?

2) Is there an advantage walking in farther than most other hunters? (I realize it will be farther to drag deer out)

3) Have you ground hunted by creating a natural blind from downed limbs, branches, and leaves for example?

4) If i were to backpack into the woods and spend the night prior to hunting, how far should I set up camp from the intended hunting spot to not cause scent problems?

Thanks

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Preface: I am 63 y/o, reasonably healthy but have a fused ankle and various joint damage from rheumatoid arthritis (read not as strong as I once was). I hike and backpack at my own pace. I do not climb tree stands or ladders if I can avoid it.

1) How far from a parking spot on the road do you go into the woods when hunting deer on public land in Indiana?

2) Is there an advantage walking in farther than most other hunters? (I realize it will be farther to drag deer out)

3) Have you ground hunted by creating a natural blind from downed limbs, branches, and leaves for example?

4) If i were to backpack into the woods and spend the night prior to hunting, how far should I set up camp from the intended hunting spot to not cause scent problems?

Thanks

1. It depends on the season you intend to hunt, deer movement patterns, the hunting pressure on the property, and how the other hunters on the property hunt.

2. There can be an advantage to walking in farther but not always. See the above answer. Bottom line don't go in farther than you can safely retrieve a deer.

3. Natural blinds are not really necessary when hunting with a firearm or muzzleloader though a large tree at your back to break up your outline and protect from stray bullets is a good idea. If you plan to hunt with a bow it is much more important. It doesn't take a lot, just something behind you and in front of you to help break up your shape. The less you disturb an area the better though.

4. Camping may not be legal on some public properties. Where you camp in relation to the deer and their movement patterns is more important than how close it is to where you hunt. As long as the deer can't see, hear, or smell your camp from where you're hunting and where they are coming from you can hunt fairly close to where you camp.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    HNF can get a bit crowded during regular firearm season. Just be prepared to have company, and they don't seem to mind setting up 50 yards from others.....

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    I hunt public land mostly, I hunt as deep as it takes to get passed people Or as close in as I can before running Into others. One woods I hunt I see deer all the time the other I see other people dragging them out or help them but I have only seen a couple deer and have hunted all over that acreage with nothing harvested by me.
    I personally don’t make blinds from brush on public land. Some people might just think there is a brush pile behind that deer in front of you. The deeper I go the less likely I am to take mediocre deer or deer outside of my target sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom