• ...and so much more!
  • Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    My Wife and I are hoping to make it to Jackson Wyoming in August to do some hiking and site seeing. We are taking the time to drive out going through Nebraska and on the way home going up to Montana then through South Dakota, it’s going to be a lot of driving but we are excited and ready. Any advice on these areas would be greatly appreciated.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Spent a lot of time in NE Wyo, try to get to Devils Tower and Hulett area, very pretty and neat little town...then on to the Black Hills and into SD. Feel free to contact me by PM if you need any info on that area (Crook County, Wyo). I know a bit about SD too. If you happen to be thru there in the Sturgis bike week, then good luck, if this is the case you might do the trip in reverse.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Our last vacation destination was the Black Hills. Went out on I 90 and returned via I 80 thru Nebraska, Iowa, etc...... If I were to plan that trip again, it wouldn't include I 80 as the road condition, construction, and scenery were miserable compared to the northern route.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The Mammoth Site in SD is definitely worth the time to go see and since you'll be driving by Mt Rushmore you won't be far away. You can cruise through the Custer State Park in the Black Hills/Bad Lands on the way there. You'll get to see buffalo and prairie dog farms on the way. The scenery is spectacular and makes you wonder how folks got through there before modern travel conveniences were implemented. The bad guys hid there for the same reason pirates hid in the Everglades...no one wanted to chase them there.

Also, buffalo will kill you so stay in the car.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Devil's Tower is good. Stay 100+ miles away from Sturgis during bike week. Devil's Tower campground will fill up during bike week.

Big Horns in WY are great.

WY has a lot of federal land, lot of Indian land (stay off or else) and a lot of parks. Lazy L&B guest ranch near Dubois is fantastic.

SD has Rushmore, Custer, Mammoth, Bad Lands, (don't try to visit during bike week though).

Stay off the interstates to see more, do more, and relax more.

NE, remember taking a two lane highway from Mammoth in SD south to NE and then east. Paced a 1+ mile long coal train for over an hour. I was faster on the open road, he was faster going through the small towns. Took over an hour for him to get ahead of me.

MT is big, many parks.

ND is empty, less than a million state wide, they have a bad land park too.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The first time we went to the Custer battlefield (Little Big Horn Nat'l Monument) it was close to dusk with a bit of wind and misty. It was one of the few times I could sense that something happened that was pretty significant in the surroundings.

I'm sure it was all in my head, but that was a memorable stop.

Wounded Knee was a disappointment. Stay off of Indian Lands with firearms! They can be confiscated and it might cost you some bucks to get out of the hoosegow.

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    It’s just my luck that we are going during the Sturgis Bike week. I’ll study the Atlas a see what is a good alternative.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    There is a path that goes to the base of the mountain if you want a different perspective.

2020 is the year of major reconstruction to areas of Mt Rushmore (mostly amphitheater) and as result the Presidential Trail has limited access thru the Nature Trail. If I understand correctly the trail won't loop but rather is out and back while the construction takes place.

Just reading the Cheyenne Days (week of rodeo) has been cancelled this year and Sturgis Rally is still not certain https://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/City-of-Sturgis-Motorcycle-Rally-Consideration-Protocols. I'm willing to wager many cooped up families will still be traveling out west this year with quite a few attractions either still shut down or limited access (quotas) resulting in even larger than normal crowds at whatever is open.

We took the obligatory selfies at The Corn Palace, Wall Drug, and Crazy Horse, aside from the excitement of saying we were there....well that about sums it up.

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    2020 is the year of major reconstruction to areas of Mt Rushmore (mostly amphitheater) and as result the Presidential Trail has limited access thru the Nature Trail. If I understand correctly the trail won't loop but rather is out and back while the construction takes place.

Just reading the Cheyenne Days (week of rodeo) has been cancelled this year and Sturgis Rally is still not certain https://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/City-of-Sturgis-Motorcycle-Rally-Consideration-Protocols. I'm willing to wager many cooped up families will still be traveling out west this year with quite a few attractions either still shut down or limited access (quotas) resulting in even larger than normal crowds at whatever is open.

We took the obligatory selfies at The Corn Palace, Wall Drug, and Crazy Horse, aside from the excitement of saying we were there....well that about sums it up.
    This is one of the reasons we are waiting until August hoping things are open again. Our trip is mostly about hiking and site seeing.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Its also good that you are planning for an August trip, it and July are about the “only” summers out there. I lived in Laramie and saw snow rain mix in August though. Its a dry heat and cool nights, great sleeping weather.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    This is one of the reasons we are waiting until August hoping things are open again. Our trip is mostly about hiking and site seeing.

I've been going to the Black Hills since '99...P-dog shooting, fly fishing, hiking, camping.
    One other hike that hasn't been mentioned is Harney Peak(now known as Black Elk Peak)- a decommissioned fire tower built in the 30's. It is a good 4-5 hour hike up and back, 7 mile round trip. Two trailheads are in Custer State Park, near Sylvan Lake.

The past several years, my Dad and I have stayed at Ft. Pierre to hunt on the grasslands a few days, then head on out to the hills. We camp at the Oahe Downstream state campground. All State campgrounds have a 90-day reservation window, you can't reserve a site until 90 days before your stay. If you are going to be in the state during the Sturgis Rally, State campgrounds should be open for reservations now. https://travel.campsd.com/

If you don't want to stay at a State campground, there are a lot of private campgrounds in the hills. I have been staying at Big Pine Campground in Custer for the past 6 years, nice and quiet with easy access to a lot of stuff to do.

Other hikes/places to seek out in the hills: Little Devil's Tower, Devils Bathtub, Hippie Hole, and Poet's Table. Google will help you find the first three, Poet's Table might be a challenge...it took me three years to find.

And one last thing- STAY HYDRATED! When hiking, PhotoNinja and I have Camelbak's. When shooting, my Dad and I have bottled water easily at hand. My rule of thumb is to drink half a bottle of water every half-hour. I have dehydrated myself while shooting on the grasslands, and it's no fun.

Top Bottom