• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    So, our expected trip with the youngest to Philmont for his peak high-adventure scouting experience has been cancelled. The governor of New Mexico has turned DICKtator and won't allow it to happen.

The alternative being planned is a week in the Boundary Waters canoe area in mid-July. I've been on long canoe trips and long backpack camping trips before, but never both at the same time. Any tips, advice, etc.? We are well-supplied with lightweight camp equipment and have a lot of canoe experience (mostly river), but are always willing to learn new things.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Water proof your gear. Prepare for portages. I've been to the boundry waters and traveled by canoe. Fantastic experience. Flat water canoing is different from river. Even when the river seems still, there is still a current. Are you working with an outfitter up there or taking all your own gear?

Take good bug spray.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    • Be prepared to hang your food from tree or bring a bear vault. I like to use the PCT method, as it only requires one branch and can't be brought down easily. https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/how-to-hang-a-bear-bag
    • Bring/rent a lightweight canoe, preferably kevlar. Portages are necessary and the lighter you travel, the better.
    • Pack assuming that your canoe will capsize or sink. Make sure important items can tolerate the water exposure and can float. This includes you (i.e. wear pfd)
    • Keep load in boat low. I use Duluth canvas packs with liners. Low center of gravity helps with stability and makes fishing easier
    • Pack the 10 essentials. https://www.nps.gov/articles/10essentials.htm. I tend to carry redundant items too (gps/compass, fire starter/lighter, knife/bigger knife, map/another map).
    • Wear clothes that dry quickly (e.g. not cotton).
    • Lastly, I suggest you carry a knife, light, compass, map, and fire starter ON YOUR BODY. I have experienced a near drowning on Lake Monroe where we lost virtually everything not attached to our bodies while in a 2 person canoe. Water temperature was around 38 degrees. Had to hike out of the area for help, at night, while suffering from hypothermia. Took a few hours before we found a home and help. Up in the boundary waters, help can be a long way away.

Last edited:

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I've been on dozens of trips, actually graduated high school from Ely MN and spent three years living up there. July is hit or miss when it comes to bugs, so plan accordingly. A bug net is super lightweight and will be your savior if they're bad. As a general rule, the Eastern side of the wilderness is easier, flatter and the western side has more elevation changes and tougher portage's. I wouldn't worry so much about pack weight as you're not really carrying all that far, but if money isn't an issue a Kevlar canoe is a zillion times better than an aluminum barge. Moose are rare these days, but wolf and bear spottings are fairly common. If you have any questions with the permitting process or anything else (sorry my favorite fishing spot is secret) feel free to pm me, I'd be glad to help.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Take good bug spray.

THIS.

Never been to MN, but there's a good (but smaller) area in the UP - Sylvania Wilderness. Did a lot of portaging.

...and I see it's closed. We can't have people going camping miles away from anyone else. :rolleyes:
    Whitmer's an idiot.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Went on a 10 day excursion years ago using an outfitter named Jocko's. Very professional, their direction and tips made the trip a very enjoyable experience. This was back in the days of Grumman aluminum canoes, I still have mine. We went in August which was after black fly season.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Skip the BWCA bimblers and hit the Quetico.

More effort, but worth every bit.

...might consider a sat phone rental....lots further in by the time you’re northbound from la Croix.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've been there several times with the Scouts. You will NOT have cell phone coverage, I took a 2 meter shortwave just in case. If the weather is good you will need bug spray, and as obijohn said waterproof your gear. We used water resistant packs and put almost everything in those large zip lock bags. If the weather is bad X2 on the waterproofing. If the weather is really bad don't be afraid to call it off early...we had to do that one year; everyone voted to get the heck out of dodge.

I hope you have a great time.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember catching, cooking and eating lots of smallmouth bass. A good fighting fish as well.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    I did a summer of canoeing and camping up there. I was in a sleeping bag under a tarp when they had the tornado there.

Beautiful waters and we may have accidently illegally immigrated to Canada a few times.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We were chased off the Canadian side of the lake by game wardens for fishing without a license. I remember thinking what difference does it make, but they sent us back to the American side of the lake.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    Nope I remember helping dig people out, the wrecked portage's, and that air ambulance plane everywhere. We had one guy in out group get buried under trees.

We were canoe teams and I ended up soloing alot after that.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    We made it out of it pretty well, but we’d pushed hard for 28 miles day before, coming down Agnes to Louisa Falls, so we didn’t have a ton of miles to do; we’d planned it to be a fish/relax sorta day..8 miles comes to mind. Good thing, too.

Being a big guy, I got to pull bow all afternoon, and the waves were big enough I was taking water over my knees every other stroke, in a 17 foot boat. Timing your paddle to actually catch a crest and pull...well, we didn’t fish much.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Ate walleyes and pike for six days. We took on too long of a trip and couldn't stay on the best fishing. Next time we will only go in about four portage's and camp in a great spot for four days.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Went the summer of 1985 with my Grandpa, I had just turned 9. Was able to stay in one place rather than move every day. That was nice because the tent was a pain to put up. Fishing was poor but I had a great time. Don't know if I will ever get back but I have lots of wonderful memories.

Top Bottom