• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Good evening

I have three little boys that get a kick out of fishing. We have access to some river front ground, and so snuck out today for just a little bit.

What tips do you have for fishing a river from the bank?

They are young (5,4, and 3), so bobber fishing with worms is ideal. Any tips for how to rig things up?

Not catfishing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Bug dope, bug dope, bug dope. Life vests.

And you can hang a small split shot a few ft above the hook to help with sinking. If you're wanting to fish more than a few ft deep, maybe think about a slip bobber. Put the stop at the depth you want. That way you can cast it easier without having such a "tail" of line dangling off the end of the pole.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Depends on the current, water depth on how I approach. River fishing I don't usually use bobbers.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    River fishing conditions change from one location to another, and with the level of the water. To me this makes river fishing more interesting than a pond or lake where fishing conditions remain more consistent. Take some bobbers and also sinkers that will work for fishing off the bottom so you can adapt as necessary. Jim.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Good evening

I have three little boys that get a kick out of fishing. We have access to some river front ground, and so snuck out today for just a little bit.

What tips do you have for fishing a river from the bank?

They are young (5,4, and 3), so bobber fishing with worms is ideal. Any tips for how to rig things up?

Not catfishing.

Don't fall in. Seriously. I would be scared to death to fish moving water that I could not walk across with three children that size.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Be better off at a small pond and have another adult to handle them. River can wait until they are older.

Remember its their trip. Don't plan on fishing yourself because you will be untangling lines, baiting hooks, keeping everyone safe. Keep it short and head out for icecream on the way home.

Bring plenty of gear and snacks. Sure thing one of them will be in the water.

Top Bottom