• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    There is also a wash called TecNu. You rub it on affected areas before washing with soap and water. It works great. I get poison pretty easily and will break out really bad if not careful. Since I have used this stuff, my spots are minimal.

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    You can use jewelweed to treat poison ivy and stinging nettle pain. Not sure if you have any around but in the country it’s pretty abundant. Dawn dish soap is great for removing the risk or reducing the amount of rash you get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    “Leaves of Three, Leave Them Be”

“Longer Middle Stem, Don’t Touch Them”

“Hairy Vine, No Friend of Mine”

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Enjoy your rash! A OTC allergy med like Claratin, Zyrtec and the like will work wonders knocking down the itching and blisters when used with topical ointments. What ever you do, don't burn it. The urushiol will get airborne and if breathed in can cause a rash to develop in the sinuses, throat, and lungs.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Jewel Weed or Touch Me Nots, indigenous to Indiana, steeped in isopropyl alcohol.
    This is the quickest relief I've found.
    Where are ya located? I have a batch already made and sitting on the shelf.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The twenty years spent pushing the jungle back in southeast Texas, had way too much opportunity to treat poison ivy.
    My fix turned out to be washing the effected area with soap and water with rubbing alcohol mixed in. This really lifted the oils. Then followed up with oxidizer to accelerate neutralizing the remainder, hydrogen peroxide. It really worked. I wonder if one of the oxy-wash type products might be really good at that. Don't know. But the water-alcohol-soap solution washing followed with hydrogen peroxide does.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    There is also a wash called TecNu. You rub it on affected areas before washing with soap and water. It works great. I get poison pretty easily and will break out really bad if not careful. Since I have used this stuff, my spots are minimal.
    TecNu does work; it's an exfoliant so it removes the dead skin cells on the surface along with whatever is attached to them. You can also pick up a larger tube or jar of exfoliant from some women's beauty supply shops. If you don't have anything like that handy after potentially being exposed, a vigorous scrub with soap will help.

I used to not be sensitive to it at all, but did not then understand that it's something you get more sensitive to with more exposure. I used to be very careless and got a lot of exposure. Now if I get exposed I get lesions that itch for weeks, often require a Medrol pack to resolve, and create new scars.

Now if I know I'm going near it (which is most abundant at "edges" like between the grass and woods, or on fencelines, I wear long sleeves, long pants and even gloves. (good tick protection anyway). Anytime I've been working outside I scrub down with the exfoliant on any exposed areas.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My dad was absolutely immune to the stuff. He could rip heavy growths of vines out and get nothing.
    I'm like his mom was, quickly looking like a bad science fiction movie.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I am one of the lucky ones also. Not allergic to poison ivy or any of the like minded plants. But not knowing any better I used to give to my wife by her touching me after I had touched it. She could just look at it and get it. But after so many years she appears to have lost her allergic reaction to it. But now I treat it like I am allergic to it just to be safe. And just for the record my immune system is anything but suppressed!

I hope trying to stay on the safe side won't bring a political storm down on me :>)

Ron

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like it really sucks to be allergic to poison ivy.:whistle:

It kinda suck not to as well - my mom and her sisters all depend on me to pull it out.

Even going to Easter dinner requires some manual labor before I'm allowed to eat my ham.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Enjoy it while you can, and don't show off too much by handling it. You can become sensitized to it with repeated exposure or a large enough exposure.

Oh, and for what it's worth, people with suppressed immune systems also have less of a response to it...

When I was probably 11 or 12, we were at a church picnic and some of us kids were walking around a patch of woods and came across some poison ivy. Up to that point, I'd never had a reaction to it. There was a girl in the group that I guess I felt the need to show off for, so I grabbed up a big clump and proceeded to "scrub" my arms with it. :n00b:

BIG mistake! I wound up with blisters that were probably half an inch high all up and down my arms and hands that itched and burned for a couple of weeks. Needless to say I have avoided it ever since. I've gotten it a few times since then, but never to that degree. I did come close one time though, when trimming some branches off a tree with a chainsaw. I didn't realize that the vines growing up the tree (no leaves) were poison ivy, so I got sprayed pretty good from the chips coming off the chainsaw.

Top Bottom