• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was outside for a few hours this evening, reveling in the decent temps and full moon. Not to mention, in the distance, rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air.

Couldn't help but notice the absence of mosquitoes. Sure, I got bit once or twice, but no where near being run inside or harassed by the insects?

Anyone else notice the same?

Maybe just me and my moderately high garlic consumption, with it being harvest time?

After working the garden the past couple days, my Rancid Crabtree "crust," possibly protecting me?

Last edited:

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    I noticed the same thing, not many skeeters but a sudden major return of lightnin' bugs. Haven't really seen them around here in years. Drives the cats nuts, they just sit in the big bow window like twitchy little crackheads watching them.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    We live next to a wetlands here in southeast North Carolina and this is the first year the mosquitos have been really bad. I have noticed the absence of bats and fewer dragonflies. The dragon flies I have seen are acting strangely. They will actually land on you. I have never had this happen before. In past years we have had so many it looked like an entire WWI aerial squadron dogfighting overhead.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My neighbors and I were just talking about this yesterday. We haven't had many at all so far.

But I do recall this happening in the past that early in the summer there weren't many, but late summer/early fall they were out in clouds.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ya know.... Now that you mention it, they haven’t been bad yet this year. We were out last night and my wife is super sensitive to buzzing things and she never complained one time. (That’s saying something too. :D )

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    The recent dry spells are keeping things in check.
    Lots of places that used to be good breeding grounds are all dried up.

Get a couple of good days of wet weather and we'll see 'em back with a vengeance.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Camped at Lake Salamonie Thursday night under a tarp. No problems with mosquitos all night and didn’t use any bug dope. Even during the hike in and hike out there were only a few.

Maybe the heat melted their wings.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We live next to a wetlands here in southeast North Carolina and this is the first year the mosquitos have been really bad. I have noticed the absence of bats and fewer dragonflies. The dragon flies I have seen are acting strangely. They will actually land on you. I have never had this happen before. In past years we have had so many it looked like an entire WWI aerial squadron dogfighting overhead.

Can't help but notice no bats or dragonflies flying here either.

Couple weeks ago, on the banks of Lake Lemon, as darkness fell the customary high pitched buzz of millions of them could be heard. :dunno:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Too dry for good mozzy breeding. They like light rains every 3-4 days. Enough to keep the water sources filled but not enough to flush them. We get drought, we get fewer mosquitoes.

I've been working on a little mosquito control project. Something that automatically fills a water reservoir, lets it sit for a few days, then drains it into the garden and refills.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I've been noticing the same thing about Japanese beetles. Normally, I'm catching bunches of them in my backyard each day to feed to my chickens. Destructive little buggers. I've only found a small number so far. My blackberry, grape and plum plants are happy for the reprieve.

My best guess is that the extended early spring warm-up and then sudden freezes (three of them) may have allowed a percentage of them to come out of winter dormancy and then killed 'em. It certainly did a number on a lot of my fruit/berry production.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I usually only see a couple of skeeters in the mornings up here on my deck. If I go out into our ivy bed in the morning, that seems to be where they hang out. Generally don't have much trouble with them though. What's really odd is, we used to always go camping on Lake Monroe and camp right by the water and never had a problem with mosquitoes. Might see some up in the woods farther away from the water, but never at camp. That seems counter-intuitive to me, but I wasn't complaining! Here at home I just try and make sure I don't have anything holding standing water.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Noticing less here too. Early on, I put out a couple Spartan mosquito control tubes. Didn't know if those helped or not. This dry now and understandable to have few, but in the spring I did notice less.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Less here east of Indy. I've had a few bites but at times in the past I couldn't even go outside after dusk.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Nice Pat McManus reference.

I think I have all your skeeters over here. Somehow I managed to get one way up my thigh under my shorts. And on one of the two things I'd rather not discuss here in mixed company.

Sadly I usually dont feel them when they bite. But the next day I itch like CRAZY.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I hardly ever get mosquito bites, but CHIGGERS are drawn to me like a magnet. Every day I have to spray my legs, and just going in the yard, a few still get by the deet.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Town crop dusted us June 15 after which it was bearable to wander outside from dusk on. I started fogging the yard out of necessity late June if we were going to be outside. Town is crop dusting us again tonight as I type this.........maybe the reason many of you aren't experiencing them is because they all migrated up here. :dunno:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I’ve noticed less skeeters here in Lowell, thought it was all my mint and lemon balm I planted. Japanese beetles are coming, seen them on my potato plants. Wish there was a easy way to get rid of stink bugs, my ducks don’t even care to eat em

Top Bottom