• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Recently my daughter (19) has expressed an interest in giving pheasant hunting a try. I know there are public land put & take hunts, but those can be difficult without a dog. Also, based on precious experience, there are way too many hunters per area and too many knuckleheads shooting recklessly.
    So, anyone have any recommendations for any hunting preserves here in IN?

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I am fairly certain that Hillside shooting sports, at 7870 N Mayne Rd, Roanoke, IN 46783 does pheasant hunts. I'm not sure what the correct term for it is, but they do an organized hunt where you make a reservation, they release birds, and have a guide lead you on their land. I think they provide dogs as well, but I may not be remembering correctly about the dogs.

As an aside, they have a nice facility for general shooting as well. It's an easy drive to get up there.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    buy the bird stamps & licenses.
    then apply for pheasant hunts @IDNR has.
    these just started applictions online began 7-6 and ends early Aug.

these are fantastic hunts on incredible property in Benton & Newton counties.

you will get to hunt like the 1960's in South Dakota! if drawn.

otherwise you might schedule a trip to South Dakota. they have "road hunting" which is legal & excellent with or without a dog. check their regs.

Mitchel & Winner SD have excellent hunting & are not too far (12 hrs from Indy).

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Recently my daughter (19) has expressed an interest in giving pheasant hunting a try. I know there are public land put & take hunts, but those can be difficult without a dog. Also, based on precious experience, there are way too many hunters per area and too many knuckleheads shooting recklessly.
    So, anyone have any recommendations for any hunting preserves here in IN?
    Join Pheasants Forever and contact the central indiana chapter.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I will second Lost River near Orleans, especially for a new hunter. I visited last December and the guide we had was great, the dogs were awesome to watch while they worked and the pricing is in line with other preserves I've visited (namely Thorn Bottom in Ohio).

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Whatever you chose I'd strongly recommend have good hunting dogs. I know I'd lost several birds after the shot if not for the dogs. Amazing how the birds blend into the ground cover.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys, I will be looking at the calendar and will see about getting a date set up. Wherever we end up going, I will gladly pay a bit extra for their guide service.
    I certainly understand the value of a good bird dog..or two

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    buy the bird stamps & licenses.
    then apply for pheasant hunts @IDNR has.
    these just started applictions online began 7-6 and ends early Aug.

these are fantastic hunts on incredible property in Benton & Newton counties.
    I used to put in for the drawing every year when I had my Brittanies but never did win the lottery.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Was Keeper the pup working with you guys?
    My group hunted with Scott and i believe he had 2 of his Dogs. The other group hunted with Matt (Brad and Anns Son inlaw ).
    It was raining in the Morning and the Birds was Running on the Dogs but by Mid Morning we had some good points.
    i would post some pics but the only pics i have are on my phone

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I ran my GSP for a coworker and his son & buddy (all newbies) at Royal Flush out near Rockville/Mecca the week before Christmas. All had a great time.

There's Buck Creek up near Muncie too - never been there, so can't comment on it.

Top Bottom