• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Ok.. IÂ’m lucky (work long and hard enough) to have a place to go in So. In. I needed work done that I just couldnÂ’t do, being a one man band and all, soÂ’s I call up a couple local legit contractors. Only one calls me back.
    He is an Amish guy that quoted 4g for the work. 80 ft lean-to header attached to a truss barn. the 3 2x10 thick headers had rotted out and needed replaced. Also re-metal roof a 10x16 shed w/ a 8x10 attached stall.
    I show up unexpectedly and his crew (2) is fishing in my pond. I donÂ’t mind, we get talking he asks if he can bring his granddaughters over to fish. I say sure I would like that. The whole grandpa, granddaughter thing.
    After all said and done, he charged me 3300 for the work. Which is a deal IMO. An existing header 4 1/2” thick 80’ feet long and the little barn.
    My question is especially to those who live in southern In. Did I make a mistake being a nice guy. Some in the southern parts donÂ’t a favorable opinion of Amish. I will make it clear that fishing is ok hunting is mine.. all mine. Long I know but.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I wouldn't necessarily assume the worst but as an absentee landowner it makes sense to be as vigilant as possible. Establish your boundaries with the Amish guy, mark your property boundaries and make sure to show as up much as you can during the season, preferably at unexpected times (ie. mid-week). It's also a good idea to become friendly with the local CO's. Trust but verify.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Where did you copy this from Â’?

Can I swing by with some buddies? My Amish friend said it was cool. You paid him. You don't owe him anything. Perhaps you can invite him to fish when you're there.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    They leave nothing. Take everything.

You are correct - they take it all. I'm finding out the same thing about the Jehovah Witnesses across the road. Can't leave a tool out along the fence line to go get a drink of water without them trying to come over and "scrap it".

Top Bottom