Learn how to hunt waterfowl..If Indiana actually had any. ;)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    [FONT=&amp]Details

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]]Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 9 AM – 2 PM EDT[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Atterbury State Fish and Wildlife Area[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Public · Hosted by Indiana Division of Fish and Wildlife[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] Learn how to hunt for waterfowl on August 15! The Waterfowl 101 workshop series consists of two sessions: combination classroom/shooting range and mentored hunt. Participants must attend the combined classroom/range session in order to be eligible for the mentored waterfowl hunt session. During the classroom portion, participants will become familiar with waterfowl hunting laws, waterfowl biology, methods and strategies for hunting, and more.
    For additional details and to register, visit https://bit.ly/3iIe9iX.

[/FONT]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I grew up hunting waterfowl in Saginaw Bay in Michigan.

One year, during my freshman year in college, my brother and I went out for a couple days of hunting. The skies were black with flock upon flock of ducks. We would put out our decoys and start calling them in. We had plenty of live "decoys" and we just watched them swim around. We could see 5-6 flocks in the sky at any one time.

When we were ready to get our limit and call it a day, we would call in another flock, pick out nice drakes (you could bag more drakes than hens), and limit out.

We were done in the early morning for the day.

After those glorious days, we both "retired" from duck hunting. The hunting was so good, that we knew we would never top it. We thought, what a great memory to go out on.

We did start up again about 15 years later in TN where my brother ended up, but it was more for the time to be together and shoot the bull in a duck boat. We never even came close to that "last hunt".

And never will. I still own that shotgun and will never sell it.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    There are ducks in Indiana if you know where to go. Private land hunting NE Indiana opening day last season. Two man limit of mallards in 30 minutes. Spent the next hour counting ducks flying by.....about 400. Property has 3 wetlands with water control structures. Now have another 4 acres on the Wabash River and putting in a permanent blind for after freeze up.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have around 20 Canadian Geese that use my back pond for nesting. I don't allow anyone to hunt them though. The goslings are something to watch when they get out of the nests. Doesn't take long and they are flying and headed on toward their next destination.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Some of my best memories are of duck hunting. I own a small lake in WI, big enough to be mapped by the state but small enough that it's just ours. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/0011600a.pdf

If you are familiar with the Kettle Moraine geography of SE Wisconsin, it is a great example of a kettle lake. Basically a large chuck of ice from a glacier broke off and got covered by glacial sedimentation. It melts and a lake is formed.

While hunting this lake I have shot all sorts of different waterfowl: mallards, blue and green winged teal, wood ducks, black ducks, red heads, pintails, buffle heads, mergansers, blue bills, widgeon, gadwall, shovelers, golden eye, Canada geese, Brants and White Fronted geese.

I've seen over a thousand ducks and geese sitting on this 7 ac lake. I've watched otters doing the back stroke eating clams and crayfish in a snow storm. Those same otters toboggan in the snow 25 feet down the hill into the water just for fun. Sat and watched bald eagles and osprey fish. And done it all with family and friends for decades.

I've hunted in 80 degree weather sitting on a lawn chair drinking beer and listening to the Wisconsin football game on a boom box, and frozen my butt off too many times to remember. I've also have the good fortune to have done it all with some pretty good hunting dogs and some not so good one. I watched my weimaraner swim the entire length of the lake chasing a wounded duck. Catch it and retrieve it to me in what had to be a 1 mile retrieve.

I've had a goose nearly sink my dick skiff, or kill me, after I dropped it from about 40yards up and it landed directly in my boat. Nearly sinking us.

I've called wood ducks so close to the blind that we tried to catch them with our hands.

And I haven't done it in close to 10 years. I keep promising myself that this year we are going back but.....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Some of my best memories are of duck hunting. I own a small lake in WI, big enough to be mapped by the state but small enough that it's just ours. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/0011600a.pdf

If you are familiar with the Kettle Moraine geography of SE Wisconsin, it is a great example of a kettle lake. Basically a large chuck of ice from a glacier broke off and got covered by glacial sedimentation. It melts and a lake is formed.

While hunting this lake I have shot all sorts of different waterfowl: mallards, blue and green winged teal, wood ducks, black ducks, red heads, pintails, buffle heads, mergansers, blue bills, widgeon, gadwall, shovelers, golden eye, Canada geese, Brants and White Fronted geese.

I've seen over a thousand ducks and geese sitting on this 7 ac lake. I've watched otters doing the back stroke eating clams and crayfish in a snow storm. Those same otters toboggan in the snow 25 feet down the hill into the water just for fun. Sat and watched bald eagles and osprey fish. And done it all with family and friends for decades.

I've hunted in 80 degree weather sitting on a lawn chair drinking beer and listening to the Wisconsin football game on a boom box, and frozen my butt off too many times to remember. I've also have the good fortune to have done it all with some pretty good hunting dogs and some not so good one. I watched my weimaraner swim the entire length of the lake chasing a wounded duck. Catch it and retrieve it to me in what had to be a 1 mile retrieve.

I've had a goose nearly sink my dick skiff, or kill me, after I dropped it from about 40yards up and it landed directly in my boat. Nearly sinking us.

I've called wood ducks so close to the blind that we tried to catch them with our hands.

And I haven't done it in close to 10 years. I keep promising myself that this year we are going back but.....

Great story! Thanks for sharing! I know those feelings. It would be so cool to own your own lake!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Great story! Thanks for sharing! I know those feelings. It would be so cool to own your own lake!

I thank my departed dad every time I am able to get there.

he bought the property back in the early 1970s. It had been for sale through a R.E agent and the listing was expiring on a Friday night. He was thinking about making an offer and found out some doctor was going to buy it. So he called the R.E Agent at 11pm that night, one hour before the listing expired and made a full price offer.

If the owner (a farmer) turned it down, he would still owe the agent's commission. The farmer wanted the doctor to get it but he didn't want to pay the agent when he turned down the old man. Been in the family ever since. we've even petitioned the state to change the name of the lake. I doubt they do anything about that but we're trying.

Top Bottom