• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Been sitting here sick with the Shanghai shivers so having some time been going through some pics and found a few that I though y'all might like to see. Here's some pics of the various critters we've got hanging out here. All pics were taken from the kitchen window through 3 layers of glass so I apologize in advance for some not being real clear.
    Our Big Boi a couple weeks ago, about 20 yards from window. He comes out only very early in the morning, its taken me 3 or 4 tries just get a few pics that were half decent.
    dCgPpTi.jpg

Big Boi a couple days ago having breakfast. Same distance.
    oQv3AsJ.jpg

Big Boi with a friend, same morning and distance as above.
    m4QYg5I.jpg

I think these are Big Boi, one very early this spring and then another from a couple of months ago.
    8rQuWcO.jpg

aRa2ZGw.jpg

Our flock of jakes.
    ug1EIqV.jpg

Our bearded hen with little ones.
    TMstUC0.jpg

74p2plU.jpg

The twins.
    1EX9gJ9.jpg

And a bonus from last fall.
    09sthlr.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very cool John! In that second picture of Big Boi, it looks like something's been chewing on the top of his neck just in front of his shoulders.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This reminds me... I need to go check my cameras.

On another note, I was talking to my brother yesterday who lives in Tennessee. He told me it’s now illegal in Tennessee to set out corn/feed to attract deer. Something to do with chronic brain wasting disease or something.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    That is likely from going under fences.

No fences around here. I've seen that on a few others in the past. My thinking is its from biting insects and scratching on trees. At least one of the does have the same thing, if they show up in the morning I'll try and get a pic.

Here's a pic from last year. Got the same kind of spot on his neck and a whole mess of ticks.
    srEoiwA.jpg

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Great pics John. We were out in our woods Saturday and spooked a fawn but weren't fast enough to get a picture. Same thing with our owl, spooked him from his perch and watched him move down the woods.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No fences around here. I've seen that on a few others in the past. My thinking is its from biting insects and scratching on trees. At least one of the does have the same thing, if they show up in the morning I'll try and get a pic.

Here's a pic from last year. Got the same kind of spot on his neck and a whole mess of ticks.
    srEoiwA.jpg

Ouch. That looks painful! Makes sense though.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They also get injuries from being hit by cars or from other deer. I have some deer that come around here that have very identifiable scars or missing patches of hair, etc. I hate when I see them with ticks all over the ears and faces. I hope that my turkey flock is helping control the ticks as I have seen very few ticks this year.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'd guess that rubbing to remove ticks is the cause of that area on the big buck's neck. I've had more deer with far more ticks on my cameras this year than I've seen before though I haven't seen any with rubbed patches of hair yet.

srEoiwA.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    They also get injuries from being hit by cars or from other deer. I have some deer that come around here that have very identifiable scars or missing patches of hair, etc. I hate when I see them with ticks all over the ears and faces. I hope that my turkey flock is helping control the ticks as I have seen very few ticks this year.

We've got an old, old doe up here like that. Has a funky shaped ear so we know when she's in the yard. The ticks down here are horrible even in the best of years. Just about every pic I get in the spring until late fall if you can see the ears, there's a ton of ticks hanging on. If I didn't spray around the house and drive,
    I'd guarantee I would pick up a couple just walking out to the car. If I knew the deer would use it and it was safe for them, I've actually thought about getting a livestock rub thing and setting it up.
    Hey, just had a thought. If you'd like I'd be more than happy to send you a whole box of ticks, we've got plenty. I ain't selfish, more than happy to share! :):

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Great pics John. We were out in our woods Saturday and spooked a fawn but weren't fast enough to get a picture. Same thing with our owl, spooked him from his perch and watched him move down the woods.

Thanks. First fawns I've seen here this year. I'm sure there's more around. We live in owl central. It's nothing to go out in the evening and here them hooting and a hollerin' from every direction. Had a couple of barred owls nest about 100 yards from the house for several years.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I had a buck many years ago that showed up frequently in front of my cameras and hung out in my area all summer through early fall. Other than one funky antler that basically grew down the side of his head between his ear and his eye on his right side, he looked normal when standing still. When walking you could clearly see that something was wrong with his left hind leg and when he ran, it looked like that leg was completely dislocated and flopped uselessly in circular motion.

He appeared to rut very hard but survived hunting season. I found his normal side on December 23rd that year and my father found the messed up side 3 months later, bleached white and heavily chewed. We never saw the buck again after late December and I suspect he either was unable to recover from the rut or coyotes got after he shed his antlers. I'm not sure what happened to him to cause the hip dislocation but an accident with a car didn't seem likely since the leg appeared undamaged otherwise.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Saw this buck last week and the twins yesterday. White doe was from last winter. Sorry about the flipped pic. Not sure how to fix that.

buck.jpg twins.jpg white.jpg

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Is the white one an albino? I can't really see the eyes but the nose looks very light colored.

Yes, later found decapitated near the golf course. I hope they find the bastards. :xmad:

Saw this in the front yard this morning.

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
      turkey.jpg
      888.4 KB · Views: 30
    Top Bottom