• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Can someone tell me what kind of tree this is?
    ElHS5v9.jpg

bUweI2T.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It looks like either some type of elm or a hackberry to me based on the bark. I would need clearer photos of a leaf and leaf clusters to be more certain.

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    I second Hackberry. I once grew one for a few years. It was sold to me as "Filbert". Joke was on me.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I like Hackberry trees. We have some huge old ones on our property. Provide nice shade, bark is unique also. They actually grow fairly fast rate especially if they get a good amount of sun.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Thanks everyone!

Just out of curiosity why did you want to know what kind of tree sapling that was? I assume it's not your tree or you would have known what you bought & planted. I'm sure there's a story behind this. It's a boring COVID year and we like good stories. :):

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Just out of curiosity why did you want to know what kind of tree sapling that was? I assume it's not your tree or you would have known what you bought & planted. I'm sure there's a story behind this. It's a boring COVID year and we like good stories. :):

Having a house built and they're doing the landscaping. Unfortunately, we do not have a say in the type of trees/plants the builder puts in. I knew that one of the trees planted was a japanese maple, but could not determine what the other two were so I turned to INGO. I tried Google first but the were quite a few that seemed similar.

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    Yes a grayish color wood kind of hard to split by hand it makes pretty good firewood as well

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Having a house built and they're doing the landscaping. Unfortunately, we do not have a say in the type of trees/plants the builder puts in. I knew that one of the trees planted was a japanese maple, but could not determine what the other two were so I turned to INGO. I tried Google first but the were quite a few that seemed similar.

Cool, as I am a construction manager for a builder / general contractor I am glad they put in a Hackberry for you. Hackberry is much better than those Bradford Pear Trees all the builders in my area put in. You might want to put a gator bag on it and on any new trees they install in this hot temp. Lots of builders just dig a hole and plant a tree in hard clay and don't keep it watered in this hot & dry time of year. Then the leaves fall off and they will tell you it's just in shock and then come next year it's dead. Put water on it every other day or use a gator bag so you don't have to water it every other day. Japanese Maples have a lot of different varieties but give them good sun and water and they'll be a nice tree too. Good luck with the new home.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Hackberry is much better than those Bradford Pear Trees all the builders in my area put in.

Are builders still planting Bradford Pears? Have they not got enough backlash from homeowners that have watched theirs split and drop half the tree after a modest thunderstorm?

Tree.jpg

Ask me how I know...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are builders still planting Bradford Pears? Have they not got enough backlash from homeowners that have watched theirs split and drop half the tree after a modest thunderstorm?

Ask me how I know...

Not sure if they quit, but in the last 5 years the word is out and even experts are pleading with people to stop planting them... even calling them an invasive species.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure if they quit, but in the last 5 years the word is out and even experts are pleading with people to stop planting them... even calling them an invasive species.

It is absolutely an invasive. I fight the seedlings constantly at work and in a marsh I volunteered at.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    In Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky, Builders still plant Bradford Pears. We don't but most builders do. The house I live in now has 3 large Bradford Pear trees in our front yard that were planted 20 years ago by the original builder. They look nice and for now I don't want to cut them down. I would have never planted them if I was the builder. The thing I hate about them besides the nasty "berries" is the damn things are the last tree to drop their leaves - usually about two days before Christmas which makes a mess of the yard before company comes.
    Some trees that I have great success with personally are the Leyland Cypress. I have planted about 7 of them in my yard and if you give them full sun they will grow about 2 to 3 feet per year. I actually bought mine from Home Depot about 4 years ago and they are all about 12 to 14 feet tall. They have done better than the white pines in our SE Indiana climate.

Top Bottom