• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Anybody maybe know, does anybody make the notched flywheels to use as replacements for the spring loaded pull rope rewinders used nowadays on push mowers?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    If you still have shaft left above your flywheel, where the spring loaded pull attached, just get a pulley you can make fit and notch the pulley. Worked for my father and I for decades on an old tiller.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    You know, I was looking at that. The nut takes up all the shaft end. But, if the top shroud is eliminated (it acts as a suction duct though to pull air across the cylider head cooling fins) the shaft end can be used for a pulley wheel with the ID threaded. To keep the shroud I'd need to create a short extension of some sort. Perhaps a fitting can be modified.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Cut the rewind housing off the cylinder/ flywheel cover so the shroud is still there for cooling, but you have access to the end of the crank. I wish I had a picture or drawing I could attach. A visual would do wonders.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Cut the rewind housing off the cylinder/ flywheel cover so the shroud is still there for cooling, but you have access to the end of the crank. I wish I had a picture or drawing I could attach. A visual would do wonders.

Yep, pulled the rewind housing earlier today when I was pondering how to do this. Convinced me it is an easy fix if only can get my hands on an workable wheel and figger out how to attach it to that shaft end. If I wanted to use a whole bunch of JB Weld High Heat formula I could even make that work by reusing the wheel after cutting an appropriate slot in the rim. And, stick it right on the same "teeth" that it engaged when starting the engine. The down side to that is that there would be no future removal. Hmm, but would that bother me a whole bunch?
    :dunno:

Any how, if I can find a wheel of appropriate bore, diameter and thickness it will fit in the hole in the shroud.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    JB weld holding a pulley on the end of a crankshaft?
    Negative Ghost Rider, rethink you flight plan.

How about welding a correctly threaded nut on a steel pulley that has the correct cutout for the starter rope...

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Actually I think the JB Weld would make it a permanent installation unless the center of the existing rope wheel is ground away to give access to the nut on the end of the shaft (the nut holds the part with the engagement teeth to the end of the shaft).
    With four points of attachment (the teeth are 90 degrees apart) it wouldn't be going any where except round and round.
    But... as you say I'd much prefer a bolted metal part rather than a assemblage of parts bonded together. This is a work in progress, and boy howdy do I ever miss having a barn full of parts.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Last Saturday took it to a small engine repair guy in town.
    He had all the replacement parts in house, everything above the engine block to the end of the rope, and fixed it Monday morning for what I would pay for the parts. If the correct parts were received on the first attempt at ordering.

I would have had more fun and satisfaction creating the notched wheel but OK, there is something to be said for a professional.

Top Bottom