• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    Need some good trails. I’ve lived in southern MO and East TN most my life where the hiking is fantastic. Indiana is a bit different. What are your favorite trails

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    Usually staying under around 10 mi since our youngest is still riding in a backpack. Day hikes are pretty much it for now.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Check out the State Parks and State wildlife areas. There usually are some good hiking trails in those. Other than that the only other good hiking trails that I know of are further south. The Knobstone Trail and Tecumseh Trail in southern Indiana are good trails. As mentioned, the Deam Wilderness and I am sure there are others, may have to google to find those closer to home. Good luck.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Unfortunately most of the trails around you are short and not that exciting. There are about a dozen around Mississinewa and Salamonie lakes near you, mostly under two miles. If you want longer hikes, what others have offered in southern Indiana will be your best bet. I think there are also some in Yellowwood Forest just northeast of Bloomington.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    Yeah, we’ve worn out the Salamonie all summer. Have done the Mounds trails a few times too. We drive to Madison for Clifty Falls which was pretty good but it would be great to find some closer.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Probably not "all that" as far as long hikes, but you might look into the Shades state park in the western part of the state. It's almost on top of Turkey Run, and I think most folks overlook it because of that.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Back in the olden gooden days before the Wuflu, there seemed to always be way more folks at Turkey Run than in the Shades. I say seemed, because I stayed away from the crowds over there.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    You might want to try France Park. Its between Logansport and Monticello. I think theres 10ish miles of trails there if you add them all together. I used to mountain bike up there when I was younger. Alot of cool nature to take in.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    Thanks for the great suggestions. We have 1 more week before the kids go back to schools and will try to get atleast 2 good hikes in.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    There is a park/preserve on the east side of the highway from Shades. Also check out Niches Land Trust, nicheslandtrust.org. We did the south trail of Portland Arch, by Fountain, IN this last Saturday, the more scenic north trail is closed for repairs. We also did both trails at Niches Weiler-Leopold property east of Independence, IN (or south of Green Hill) yesterday.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    There is a park/preserve on the east side of the highway from Shades. Also check out Niches Land Trust, nicheslandtrust.org. We did the south trail of Portland Arch, by Fountain, IN this last Saturday, the more scenic north trail is closed for repairs. We also did both trails at Niches Weiler-Leopold property east of Independence, IN (or south of Green Hill) yesterday.

The preserve by Shades, called Pine Hills Nature Preserve, is now only accessible from inside the state park. They closed off all the parking along the road to force you to pay park dues to get there. It is a great hike once you get to the devil's backbone in the preserve. It's about 6 feet wide at the top with 50 to 80 foot drops on the sides.

As for nearby Turkey Run, the combo of trails 3, 5 and 9 would be my recommendation.

If you want to go to both state parks the same day, keep your receipt from the first one and they'll let you in to the other one without charging you again.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    Salamonie Resevoir, between Wabash and Huntington, has the Bloodroot Trail, which is 13 miles long. That's the longest trail I know of in this area. Mississinewa and Salamonie both have several shorter trails as well. Also check out the Acres Land Trust. They manage several trails and properties throughout the area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    Check out Hoosier National Forest, 260 miles of trails! Download the AllTrails app and you can quick find them, and use the app while on the trail (runs off GPS not data once downloaded and paid for).
    There are a few trails in HNF that even lead you to a few caves.

Top Bottom